Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Blogs > Life After Airsoft

What happens to you after airsoft. And a little bit of what happens during.
Rate this Entry

Easy-*** Dutch Oven Chicken or Meat

Posted 04-09-2010 at 09:47 AM by gertrude
Updated 04-09-2010 at 10:14 PM by gertrude (Clarity, then Bone side v. meat side)
So, I'm going to write this for a dutch oven so that if you want you can use it in a camp fire. It's going to be part of a series that's tentatively going to be called, "Recipes for Airsofters." They're going to be written so that they're easy, they can be done in a camp fire or beforehand, and it's easy to eat or make while camping.
  • 1 Whole Chicken, cut into pieces, dried with paper towels and season with salt n' pepper to taste
  • Butter
  • Olive Oil
  • 3 Russet Potatoes, in quarters, or 10 small yellow potatoes
  • 3 Cloves garlic, peeled
  • 1 Bunch Carrots, no greens
  • 2 Large Onions
  • 1 Larch Dutch Oven (big enough to hold everything)
  • 1 Frying Pan
  • Tin Foil
  • Sage and Thyme if you're feeling crazy.

Cut up the veggies in large chunks. Don't make them too small or they'll get mushy. You don't really have to peel them, except the onions. Just make sure they're clean.

Set the veggies in the bottom of the dutch oven with enough olive oil to coat them, and maybe 1/2 tsp salt and pepper. Make sure the veggies are well-coated so they don't stick!
If you want to get crazy, add some sage and thyme.

Heat the butter in a pan on medium-high heat to coat the pan. Sear the chicken until the skin browns on each side a little. Do the presentation side first (not the bones, but the meaty bits, so, chicken breasts, outsides of thighs/legs, etc). You're NOT COOKING THE CHICKEN. You're searing it. It's too keep the juices in the chicken.

Set the pieces of the chicken over veggies in the dutch oven, and then cover with the tin foil and put on the lid over the foil.

The dutch oven should go in the coals for around an hour, maybe an hour and 10 minutes, depending how large your chunks of chicken and veggies are, and how hot/big your fire is. Give it 45 minutes and check on it, basically.

It's done when you cut a breast open and it is done. There shouldn't be any pink left inside, but it should still be juicy. If you're lucky enough to have a meat thermometer, 180 degrees.

Just a couple notes:
  • If you do something like this in advance, tearing apart a cold chicken carcass can actually be "fun" while on a camping trip. (I'm a Buddhist, but shut up. I like food.)
  • This is a general way of roasting any meat. I'm sure you can try it with any number of types of meat, just change the sage and thyme to your meat rubs of choice.
  • Butter tastes better than olive oil. That's why you're frying the meat in it. If you want, use olive oil for both. It's a little more healthy.
  • In a pinch in the field, just throw all the meat and cleaned veggies in the dutch oven and don't worry about frying the meat first. It's just a way to make it taste a little better, and if you just want food, just cook it.

If you're making it at home:

There are a lot of great things you can do with the jus afterwards. It'll be really fatty, so I put mine in a container and let it set with the leftovers in the fridge. Skim off the fat when it's cold, and whisk it with a roux and some cream to make a great gravy. I put mine with cooked noodles and the leftover chicken. (Add some peas, bake at 350 for 20 mins, and voila!)
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 2202 Comments 14 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 14

Comments

1. Old
    I'll have to try this out. Sounds good! Love me some cheekin! I know what my mum is making me for dinner.
    Posted 04-09-2010 at 12:08 PM by Son of Liberty Son of Liberty is offline
  2. Old
    I love Camp Food! Got any rice based recipes?

Reminds me of my Civil War Reenactor days ... "You really goin eat that, mister?"
  3. Old
    Just happend to remember,there was a cookbook that had recipes for cooking food in the engine compartment of your car. Anybody know the name?
  4. Old
    There's a book for that? My dad just told me once on some hunting trips that he and a buddy would heat up canned food on the engine of the car then go hunting
  5. Old
    The food junkie in me wants to mention that adding celery to the carrots and onions makes it a classic mirepoix :P

Sage and thyme are definitely good with chicken. And though butter might eventually taste better, there is very little on this earth that compares to the smell of chicken browning in olive oil.

This is a fun recipe, keep 'em coming!
  6. Old
    Quote:
    The food junkie in me wants to mention that adding celery to the carrots and onions makes it a classic mirepoix :P
    I dislike celery, except in soups when I don't have to look at it and see it as celery. This should be sufficient to explain why I didn't include it. With this being said, you are correct. Celery would add some vavavoom to it. I just... wouldn't eat that celery. (Does anyone, you know, actually eat celery? Besides in soups?)

Quote:
    I love Camp Food! Got any rice based recipes?
    I will admit right here and now that I am a habitual fu**er-upper of rice. I can make rice pudding and have been known to turn out a phenomenal risotto, but campfire rice I'm *kind of* afraid of.
  7. Old
    Quote:
    I dislike celery, except in soups when I don't have to look at it and see it as celery. This should be sufficient to explain why I didn't include it. With this being said, you are correct. Celery would add some vavavoom to it. I just... wouldn't eat that celery. (Does anyone, you know, actually eat celery? Besides in soups?)
    Understood. I'm not much of a veggie man myself, but the aromatics definitely bring flavor to the party.

As for rice, it's not too difficult so long as you can control the temperature. One cup of rice, two cups of water and a dash of olive oil. Boil the water with the rice. Once it comes to a boil, slap a lid on the pot, put it on the absolute lowest heat you can get, and let it go for ten minutes. Take off heat, and you're good to go.

A quick note: the olive oil does not add flavor, and does not prevent the rice from sticking to anything. It does, however, make it less likely the pot will boil over.
  8. Old
    you are supposed to do presentation side first, so not bone side when you sear it
  9. Old
    Thanks! Changes made!

As I sit here, the boyfriend is whipping up some kind of Andouille sausage, chicken, onion, garlic, and mushroom thing. Maybe a kind of stir-fry. I'm excited! It's DINNA TAM.
  10. Old
    I eat celery raw. It is also good with some peanut butter on it. yummy!!

And celery soup IS one of my favorites
  11. Old
    Celery Soup = Gross, granted, I've only had it from a can. I also enjoy Celery with my hot wings, with peanut butter, or just by itself if I'm that hungry...
  12. Old
    I eat celery, I really like it, but Im odd like that I seem to like the veggies that everyone hates...Brussel Sprouts, Collard Greens, Spinach, Saurkraut etc.

Quote:
    My dad just told me once on some hunting trips that he and a buddy would heat up canned food on the engine of the car then go hunting
    The first time I had seen something like this was about 8 years ago when I went Snowmobiling up in Michigan with my cousin. you put your meat and veggies inside with some stock, and strap it to the exhaust of your sled
  13. Old
    That sounds good! I love potatoes I could eat them everyday. Onions too.

sauerkraut is great.
    I am a self proclaimed Reuben sandwich critic...
    Nothing breaks my heart more than ordering a Reuben only to get a Sauerkraut sandwich with one slice of corned beef and cheap Swiss cheese.
    I had a Reuben at a diner in Manhattan that made me cry.

And now I have to go eat...
  14. Old
    I like celery too! I eat it raw, plain or with PB or Ranch.