Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Blogs > WindsOfPlague

Rate this Entry

Winter Airsoft Tips?

Posted 12-03-2009 at 12:50 PM by WindsOfPlague
Id just like to start a blog with some tips for winter airsofting by you grizzled veterans. Being apart of my team, even though im not a medic, i like to try and keep everyone as safe as can be, but i just wished to find out your tips and your take on Winter Airsofting. i know this topic has been made, but this is primarily on the tips of it, not a full blown discussion. Thank you for your time to post.
Tags: airsoft, tips, winter
Views 8538 Comments 17 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 17

Comments

1. Old
    Dehydration still happens in the cold. Stay hydrated.
    Posted 12-03-2009 at 05:30 PM by Son of Liberty Son of Liberty is offline
  2. Old
    Stay warm, i've seen people get frost bite while playing. Wear good gloves, sit out and go into your car to get warm if you have to, no level of fun is worth losing a finger over.
  3. Old
    Dress in layers. Always wear more clothes than you think should be nessecary. That way if you do get hot you can just take off a layer. Or if you get wet take off a layer.
  4. Old
    Go naked and get submerged in water and lay out. First person whose core temp drops below 80 wins.
    Posted 12-03-2009 at 07:03 PM by Son of Liberty Son of Liberty is offline
  5. Old
    Lol nice one SOL.
  6. Old
    Its nice to invest in good old US military trigger mitts. You can still easily shoot and they are extremely warm. Either sportsmansguide.com or cheaperthandirt.com has them for around 20 bucks. (I forget which one)
  7. Old
    Thank you for teh tips everyone, we'll take them in good mind when the games start during the winter.
  8. Old
    You do know there is already a thread about this right?
    http://www.airsoftohio.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=26080

You should read that as well, it covers batteries and gun breakage. Do not forget in winter there is ice. Falling sucks, falling on a gun really sucks.
  9. Old
    Get good boots if your feet get cold or wet its over. so get some waterproof boots and some hefty socks ( I use wool but not everone likes it) I also recomend smartwool socks they are synthetic and as good as wool without the itch.
    Posted 12-05-2009 at 02:57 PM by Boondock saint Boondock saint is offline
  10. Old
    Birdstrike, if you looked at the original post he said he just wants tips and saw a topic posted about it but doesn't need a full blown discussion.
    Posted 12-05-2009 at 11:56 PM by Son of Liberty Son of Liberty is offline
  11. Old
    SOL you are right... My tip was (or rather what I failed to get across)... read the thread, watch it for more information and take part in the discussion. If you have never played in the winter, you will want that information. There are a lot of things to think about for winter games that don't come up in the summer. In my experience with winter outings the better prepared you are the more fun you will have. Oh and watch out for ice.

That being said Mr. Plauge, I look forward to freezing my butt off out there with you this winter. May all our fingers and toes remain attached. And no flames were intended.
    Updated 12-06-2009 at 10:31 PM by BIRDSTRIKE
  12. Old
    shoot semi auto or short bursts in the coldest parts of the day-metal gets brittle when its cold
    plus bring a hat and gloves
    sirrously
    hat and gloves
  13. Old
    Bring a thermos of hot coca to be the life of the party. Best bribe for civies ever.
    Posted 12-07-2009 at 09:02 PM by DemonicUnicorn2 DemonicUnicorn2 is offline
  14. Old
    Also, bring more batteries than you usually do. They go dead fast in the cold.
  15. Old
    E.C.W.C.S. Gen III
    http://www.adstactical.com/gen-iii

You should probably be fine with a level 1, 2, and 3, assuming you are wearing your BDU's over them without a coat and it isn't very windy.

-Duofold's Dri-release is a good alternative to Polartec's power dry.

-Cabela's online shop carries a lot of apparel with the Polartec fabric at affordable prices. Their expedition-weight is like a level 1 and level 2 in one layer.

-Polypropylene is probably the cheapest you should go. But it isn't Gen III

-Polartec Powerdry and Duofold Dri-release are going to cost a bit more but are more effective at wicking moisture.

-Don't buy organic clothing, it's a marketing gimmick for tree-huggers. Synthetic materials are WAY more effective at keeping you dry and warm.

-Don't buy Underarmor, it's an over-hyped overpriced low quality product with a very good marketing campaign.

-TRUSPEC claim they are E.C.W.C.S. compliant but don't appear to have Polartec Powerdry or equivalent fabric. Is the moisture wicking and breathability as good? They do additionally include into the fabric anti-odor and anti-microbial which is nice.

-balaclava or some sort of headgear is required to insulate your head, it is more sensitive to the cold than other parts of your body. You might have heard that most of your body heat escapes from your head, well that's a myth. Still, its a good idea to cover your head and ears.

Take aways:
    1. Get a moisture wicking base layer that drys fast. I really suggest Cabela's, I haven't been able to find anything like it and it's high loft. What high loft means is that it is a thinner layer but has the thermal performance of a thicker layer, it does this by trapping in your body heat.
    2. For level 3 of the system I think is self-explanatory. Any fleece will probably do.
    3. If it gets really cold, your going to absolutely need a wind blocking coat with insulation or leveled system as described. Maybe you could just wear a warm coat and pants you might have with a green/tan camo lightweight parka outershell/cover.
    Posted 12-17-2009 at 12:49 AM by LibertyLost1913 LibertyLost1913 is offline
  16. Old
    any tips on winter camo?
    Posted 12-18-2009 at 06:22 PM by Boondock saint Boondock saint is offline
  17. Old
    i know that gas is a no no but just how cold is too cold for my side arm
    Posted 12-18-2009 at 10:45 PM by Shadow_mercinary Shadow_mercinary is offline