Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Blogs > British

Rate this Entry

Review of the UTG Type96

Posted 10-29-2009 at 03:25 PM by British
Updated 10-29-2009 at 05:54 PM by British
This is my first blog, and my first review, so here goes.

I got this gun for the 18th birthday 2 months ago, and have taken it out a few times to shoot and i have to say I'm overall impressed.

Size
-about 3.5' long
-weighs about 7 pounds w/o scope or bipod

Hop up
-About what one would expect from a $120 gun. It works well, although mine has a slight right hook to it (about 1-2 feet to the right at 150') The hop up is a bit of a pain to adjust as it's a small hex bolt inside the gun to the front part of the Magazine well. The screw also likes to loosen randomly but not too much. There is an upgrade made by maurzen that I plan to buy and put in here. It runs for $70

velocity
-with .20's it got about 450fps on the "coke can test" with the .28's that I've decided to use in it, it seems to be closer to 400. I took the old barrel out of it (6.08mm) and put in a 509mm 6.03mm barrel that I had in my CA M16. After screwing around with the hopup i was able to get it to fit in correctly and it made the bb fly at least 30' farther, so i'm assuming there was an FPS increase there. If I want to I could also buy a stronger spring, but it would probably require replacing the spring guide and a few other things.

magazine capacity
-Rated at 30, but it's really closer to 25. Depends on the magazine

trigger pull
-Personally i love the trigger on this gun as it's a 2 stage trigger. It's also very easy to pull back and has a smooth action.

Goodies
-The rifle when shipped out of the factory comes with a bipod, but no scope. The bipod leave MUCH to be desired, it's very wobbly and isn't the most high tech thing, but it will get the job done i hope.

assembly
-The gun does come in 2 parts, all you have to do is match the 2 parts up, and screw in the hex bolts. A hex key is provided for this.

Disassembly
-Taking the gun apart is very simple, and detailed instructions can be found in many places, including Youtube. As with any spring gun it's fundementaly much simpler to work on than an AEG, the trigger system is just held in by a few screws, and the piston assembly comes apart into a nozzle, piston, spring, spring guide and the cylinder. This allows fast and simple upgrading and downgrading of this area.

The barrel section is simple to take apart, but the barrel spacers are a huge pain for me. They're foam and like to get stuck in the outer barrel which requires playing a game of spacer fishing for 20+ minutes trying to get them out so that you can put them on the barrel and just put them back into the same place... If you want to put a longer barrel in like i did, you will need to drill out the hole in the end of the barrel since the hole is large enough for a bb, but not a barrel.

range
-Stock, i'd say about 120-140' with the tight bore I put in it gets about 160'. Not too bad. And it is very accurate out to this range.

Sorry for the lower quality on the pictures, they were taken with my Cell Phone
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rifle.jpg
Views:	592
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	3  Click image for larger version

Name:	riflebipod.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	4  Click image for larger version

Name:	riflebolt.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	5  Click image for larger version

Name:	riflemagwell.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	7  Click image for larger version

Name:	rifletrigger.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	8  

Tags: type96, utg
Posted in Airsoft Reviews
Views 7323 Comments 7 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 7

Comments

1. Old
    Nice review. These are definitely great guns. It's just too bad that we may never see them again. UTG has been having MAJOR supply issues recently, and have no current END through the end of '09 as to when or if they'll ever have them back in stock.
  2. Old
    Thanks. I'm happy that I got this gun, just need to drop a hop up into it then I will be fully satisfied
  3. Old
    LoL, and just after I said that, UTG lets me know they're getting more Shadow Ops rifles in next week, and Master Snipers too!! Go figure! All I have to say is that something isn't available, and Pow! There it is!!

Systema is never going to make a G36K PTW.

Let's see if that works! LoL
  4. Old
    The hop-up upgrade you're prolly looking for is made my PDI and not maruzen. Airsoft Atlanta has it for about 50 bucks, just remember that it takes AEG cut barrels and Buckings.
  5. Old
    for your barrel you put a 509mm inside. How close was that to the orginal barrel size? I plan to pick up a L96 just for winter time and want to put a tightbore. Thanks, KC
  6. Old
    Yeah my bad dwarf. PDI hopup is the upgrade for the maurzen.

And KC, the stock barrel is about 490mm
  7. Old
    @kcavalier0713

The stock barrel is 499mm in the L96, so an M16 length tightbore is 1 cm longer.

I would suggest the going with an EDGI barrel, they have L96 length barrel's in stock or AEG cut depending on whether or not you go with a PDI hop-up system along with the barrel.