Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Blogs > storm401

Rate this Entry

mortar idea

Posted 01-29-2011 at 07:14 PM by storm401
i know most of these have been shot down for very good reasons but mine is a little different. my idea is for a mortar that uses your run of the mill m203 shells to fire either plain old bbs, a foam ball, or nerf "pocket rocket" ( google it) there would be no issue of a home made pressure system and there would be little difference between the mortar and a M203 or other 40mm launcher used for AP or AT purposes. you could argue whats the point of this? well in my mind its to add to battle ambiance, a whistling nerf ball coming in adds more than a ref saying airstrike, plus for milsim events it adds to the look of a defensive position to have one or more mortar teams. now before shooting the idea down re read above where it says basically a m203 at an angle on the ground and the details need to be ironed out but a prototype should be online for judgment after some thought
Views 7747 Comments 14 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 14

Comments

1. Old
    I googled Pocket rocket... had nothing to do with Nerf rockets :-)

How do you plan on making this? cause I think that this shouldn't be easily manufactured. (I.e. Not made of PVC pipe, significant saftey measures, not Cheap.) If you make a difficult enough desine with strong satey mesures and etc. I think you got a shot.
    Updated 01-30-2011 at 08:29 PM by Teddy Bear
  2. Old
    As long as you use WATER SUPPLY PIPE FITTINGS!!! you'll be fine. Drain fittings/pipe have a different cellular structure than supply line which is designed for pressure.

check the spud files. They have everything you could want to know about DIY cannons
    http://www.spudfiles.com/
  3. Old
    Teddy Bear try Nerf pocket rocket haha
    and the only pressure would be contained in the m203 shell. i don't intend it to be a potato gun style cannon. thanks for the positive input haha it wasn't what i was expecting after reading threads on this topic
  4. Old
    How would you aim this motar? I understand the concept of a mortar being indirect fire but if a soft foam nerf ball with little to no weight or bb's being shot out of a m203 shell goes up it isn't for certain where it will land the rounds to me would have to be heavy enough to stay in flight for longer range if it doesn't shoot far than you basicly have a rocket launcher that shoots stuff up in the air. Also i don't think shooting bb's out of a mortar would work because people will shrugg them off or wont feel them hit there gear unless its alot of bb's
  5. Old
    Actually, this seems to be exactly what your talking about.

Link
  6. Old
    yeah thats like dead on thank you!! haha
  7. Old
    looks great! do you know what the maximum effective range would be?
  8. Old
    Gambit and I have made a mortar for 40mm shells before. We took a piece of 4 foot PVC pipe, put a cap on the bottom, drilled and tapped a whole in it, and put in a nylon screw.

We modded a camera tripod to fit on it so all you had to do then was drop the shell down the pipe and the screw would push in the button on the shell, setting it off.

It wasn't very accurate and the range was only like 100 feet, but it was a pretty fun way to waste a day in the summer. We also added a handle and sling mounts for easy transportation if you wanted to carry it in a game.
  9. Old
    awesome krylon haha thanks for the info im gonna run over to Home depot later this week
  10. Old
    yeah they used to sell 40mm grenade launchers on Arnies airsoft, But that was awhile ago. It's still a very phesable idea though I would love to have 9 or 10 mortars firing on certain positons. if your thinking about using it at a certain field storm401 ask the coardinaters, I know alot of places that have certain specs. on what they would want an airsoft mortar to consist of. Blade i think is pretty good with letting people experiment with ideas at spring field (after you get the thing operational of course).
  11. Old
    I would add I hatch for easier realoding so less time realoding and more time putting bbs down the range.
  12. Old
    just take a regular M203 and give it an extended barrel of metal pipe or something and add some bi-pod legs and there you go,a good ol` 60 mm mortar or more appropriately named the "6mm Mortar"hahaha,i might make one of my own
  13. Old
    I would love to see one of these during a game! i say go with the idea, it sounds solid.
  14. Old
    Well, what about a rocket launcher kinda like this? You'd have to find a way to make sure that the 40mm shell got all the way the detonating screw, but it seems like it would be a lot simpler than making a potato-cannon type launcher. Simpler still would be to just suck it up and buy an m203...