Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Blogs > Panda

Rate this Entry

Probably my best idea yet.

Posted 01-15-2012 at 11:41 PM by Panda
Alright, so my cousin keeps touching my airsoft stuff whenever he comes to my house. Granted none of it works () but he makes a mess of my stuff. I'm tired of it, so I asked his parents if they would be willing to get him an airsoft gun. Their response went along the lines of "He'll lose/break/not like whatever we get him, and we won't spend as much as you do just for an airsoft gun." So I'm all like:

BUT WAIT.

Suddenly, visions of the perfect idea flashed through my head. So here it is: the D-Boy Full Plastic M4 CQB.

As the video stated, the gun is full plastic, inside and out, so now your hate train is rolling right now and you're all like "OMGWTF U SUCK". Not finished yet, haters. I shall explain the methods to my madness:

It's 60 Dollars: Come one, it's 60 bucks. If it breaks, he's out 60 bucks. not as bad as if he breaks a 140 dollar G&G. It will also perform better than an equivalent Walmart of of similar, or even greater, price. Not a bad price for the gun. It's also not like he'll come out of the gat attending every OLCMSS event, just small stuff like open plays.

It's upgradeable: As Tim said in that video, I have plenty of spare parts. I have both an Echo 1 Stag-15 DMR and an SRC M4 Commando to snatch parts off of. Between those two guns, I think I'll be able to bring it up to a respectable gun. Also, should he break something, I have 2 full Version 2 gearboxes. Basically, I'ma pimp dat s**t out.

(With some help, of course)

It's an M4 CQB: The plastic externals will be beneficial, as will the shortened barrel and collapstible stock. He's not huge, nor is he gonna be huge (I see eye to eye with my uncle, haha). This will be good for him since he's gonna be small, plus he like to run around and be quick, so I don't think giving him a full length rifle is a good idea.
(and it's an M4 and everyone knows M4's are superior in all ways to other platforms wait wut?)

So that's my master plan. Keep bashing to a minimum, help will be appreciated as long as it's not some smart a** "or just buy him a G&G" comment.

Thanks for reading!!
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 14211 Comments 26 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 26

Comments

1. Old
    nice tag choices
  2. Old
    I got that gun for my kid until he was big enough to use one of my CA's. Yeah, everything is the same specs a standard TM type M4 - Everything is cheap plastic other than the inner barrel, which is thin aluminum. Yeah, you can upgrade it - Plan on upgrading everything. Not trying to be harsh but letting you learn from my mistake. Spend another few bucks on a JG or something similar. Let me put it this way, the one I have (working with no broken parts) is going to be put up for sale......... on ebay, not here.
    Updated 01-16-2012 at 02:49 PM by Pappy
  3. Old
    I only really put 2-3 serious tags, but I like to fill the 5 slots up, so I just put the first things that come to mind.

EDIT: Who added the tag "tiny azn"???
  4. Old
    This blog actually makes me sad. Not sad about a $60 gun, sad that new players now have this stupidly wrong assumption that you have to spend hundreds and hundreds or even thousands of dollars to get a field worthy gun. And it's all the fault of the interwebs.

It's become an epidemic - new/young people don't want to use their brains anymore; they don't want to explore things, discover things, take things apart and put them back together; they want everything easy, packaged up and handed to them on a platter. This is when learning stops.

With a little work I bet you could make that little gun rock. There are little tweaks you can even do to a plastic gearbox to make it more reliable. Yeah the plastic gearbox will probably give out eventually, but by that time would he even care? And even then like you said, you could drop in a complete metal gearbox that I bet he could get second hand for $15. I bought one not too long ago on this board for $18 shipped.

Do us all a favor Panda: buy it, enhance it, tweak it, and show other players that you can take an LPEG and with a little work make it field worthy.

NOTE: The motor is probably on the weak side just because stock it's pulling a fairly weak spring (250fps); so just know that if you upgrade the gearbox, you'll most likely have to upgrade the motor along with it.
    Updated 01-17-2012 at 09:13 PM by Torque
  5. Old
    You could just avoid this all together and just put you airsoft stuff in your closet when you cousin is around
  6. Old
    I'm all for taking things apart, learning how they work and upgrading - He11, I've done it to several guns and had fun doing it. But with this gun you will have to change everything, and I mean everything. The mag catch, outer barrel, buffer tube and everything else is cheap plastic. Take the receiver for example: It's not the plastic you see on TM's and JG's that can take getting knocked around in the field - it's thin and flimsy. Honestly, the only parts that would get through a typical game are the hand guards and hop-up. Not trying to discourage you, just save you some money. But if you want to prove me wrong, and I hope you do. (I love to see people make something out of nothing) You can have mine (sans battery) for shipping cost only if you want to put it back together. I took it apart to upgrade and realized I would have to build almost an entire gun.
    Updated 01-16-2012 at 06:53 PM by Pappy
  7. Old
    Quote:
    You could just avoid this all together and just put you airsoft stuff in your closet when you cousin is around
    It's only a matter of time until he's digging through there. I'd rather him mess with it than dig through my closet anyways, that's where I put my good shooter games I don't want him playing when he's around.

@Torque: I have a Madbull blue hop up bucking and Echo 1 High Torque motor I'll probably drop in. That'll be enough for him to get his feet wet without being disappointed if his parents get him some Crosman BS to start out with.

To add to this, I have a pair of child's woodland pants, basic battle belt, full face mask, and a camelbak for him when he's ready/old enough to start playing. He'll be rolling with style and functionality.
  8. Old
    Or you could just fix one of your broken guns and give it to him.......
  9. Old
    Pssh, NO... Too much money on my part.
  10. Old
    But he will never play if he will be with you.
  11. Old
    How wouldnt it be cheaper to fix one gun rather than buying the new one and replacing everything assuming thats what your doing?
  12. Old
    I put the tag "Tiny azn"
  13. Old
    I just put all my stuff in a crate and lock it so I don't have my 7 year old cuz run downstairs and scream "mommy I found a gun"
    Posted 01-17-2012 at 12:22 AM by TaticalSasquatch TaticalSasquatch is offline
  14. Old
    Quote:
    How wouldnt it be cheaper to fix one gun rather than buying the new one and replacing everything assuming thats what your doing?
    To fix my current one would BE replacing everything. Although, Dutch may have talked me into fixing my current one. All depends on the extent of damage. I'm already looking at 100+ dollars and a couple man-hours to get it to working condition...

Quote:
    I put the tag "Tiny azn"
    Figured that one out...

Quote:
    But he will never play if he will be with you.
    It's all in the gun, and if the gun's not shooting, it's sorta hard to play, isn't it?
  15. Old
    How old is he?
  16. Old
    Leave it alone. God helps those who help himself. Handing a gun to a kid who can't respect another person's property (or even their own from what the parents said) is asking for trouble.

There's nothing wrong with waiting until a potential player has more maturity before they begin participating.
  17. Old
    Quote:
    How old is he?
    I believe 11 now. Provided someone hosts another airsoft summer intro thingy like last year, he'll be there.

Quote:
    God helps those who help himself. Handing a gun to a kid who can't respect another person's property (or even their own from what the parents said) is asking for trouble.
    Why are we bringing God in?

I'd rather install it into him now than him have to find it out the hard way from all of you guys later. I know he'd never shoot someone outside of combat, he's got common sense (surprisingly rare nowadays), but he's not to the level where he needs to be. I'd rather I and his father (Former USAF) be the one to teach him gun control (finger off the trigger, eye protection, loaded/unloaded gun) than him getting yelled at by strangers on the field. Before anyone does it, don't tell me that you all yelling at him is for the best, because he won't retain it. I know how we all love feasting on noob souls (), but he's my cousin, I've got this.

I know what I'm getting into.
    Updated 01-19-2012 at 06:19 PM by Panda
  18. Old
    Parents act as if children have never had negativity in their lives all through out history and that any form of it now is horrible.

I yell at my stepkids all the time. And they don't listen. And that lack of listening has motivated me not to feel bad when I toss their butt out.

See, yelling can motivate good things.
  19. Old
    Yeah, I can slap him upside the head when he messes up, you guys can't.

I'm not against yelling at people to get them straightened up, I do that all the time, but with my cousin it's in one ear and out the other. If I talk to him, he listens.
  20. Old
    Good choice on the gun. That was my first airsoft gun.( not CQB though) I have had it for about 3 years and it still works fine.