Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Blogs > Reaper

Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Watching the noobs

Posted 04-06-2010 at 12:57 PM by Reaper
As I type this into my phone, I am watching two kids looking up airsoft guns. Definitely noobs, they are looking at clear guns and how cool they are. I'd like some feedback on this. Why? How are these clear plastic guns cool? Even when I was a noob, I never thought of buying a clear gun. And why is 475 FPS so cool? Echo 1 rifles are just as affordable, why don't retailers such as 321 airsoft, airsoft arms come up on the search engine instead of airsplat or other lesser known\ripoff companies?
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 8526 Comments 28 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 28

Comments

1. Old
    They actually do show up on search engines. Its just that most people don't use the "shopping" tab to find the most affordable prices. They think the only way to find the item is to search through each and every store one by one.
  2. Old
    I agree with Spectre, and if you notice ads for websites like Airsplat are everywhere. I became a fan or joined a group or whatever of something airsoft related on facebook a while back, now an ad for Airsplat is always on the side of my facebook page. Its just the fact that websites are advertised more, because they are world-wide.As for local dealers, the key word is LOCAL.
  3. Old
    LOL, I wish I showed up as much as Airsplat. But hey stop in at Airsplat and see if they'll bull**** with you about airsoft for an hour. Heck I recall at Irene we met the guy from Palco sports, Cybergun, and he'd never played airsoft before Irene and the only reason he got in was because they were a sponsor.
  4. Old
    maybe it's a good thing since airsoft is still (thank god) somewhat underground.
  5. Old
    ^you cant really call airsoft "underground" when it's a global sport played by thousands of people of all ages and backgrounds.
  6. Old
    Hardly John, its more popular among the younger High School crowds then you may think.

The "stores" are cropping up everywhere now. Most of them are clearly only there to make profit with little to no customer service. And what I mean by this is that they clearly have no idea as what constitutes a quality brand. Specially when they come here on AO and ask what to stock...
  7. Old
    The reason why Airsplat gets the traffic is because they spend lots of money on advertising and Google Ads. They are also a large retailer with a large online presence and several retail stores. They have also been around for quite a long time.

The answer is money and longevity. When you have more money for advertising and have been around as long as they have, its far more likely that you'd run across them first.
  8. Old
    i know. but it seems like they are providing false advertisement.
  9. Old
    I'd place part of that on whomever create their google ads content.

AT the same time, I'd say the majority of airsoft communities promote buyer education before they buy something. If you don't know what you're buying then you really have yourself to blame when you end up with a piece of crap. I don't know many retailers that will openly advertise their guns as being garbage.

As for alot of the reports of supposed shady dealings, I would suspect a good majority of them are more from people losing their temper after failing to read sales policy than from airsplat outright screwing them over.

They are a big company who has been in business a very long time. If they were so horribly screwing over customers, they would not have been in business long enough to open multiple stores and sponsor events all over the US.
  10. Old
    I couln't agree more with what Texx said. That is so true brother.
  11. Old
    I dont even know where to start. Im 17 (junior in HS) and airsoft is vastly popular at my school but only with certain groups of people. I think that if more kids knew what constitutes a quality gun (good point by the way Spectre) then airsoft would be much better off. every year when the new freshmen come through i ask them " hey, you play airsoft?" and i usually get one of two answers. #1 airsoft is gay. When i get this answer instantly say good bye and f***k you. or i get the even more common answer "nah, i play paint ball, because airsoft guns break." Firstly, most kids dont know the first thing about a good airsoft gun, one that wont crap out on you, one with a full metal gearbox, and quality internal workings as well as a solid external frame. to often i see kids in ****'s sporting goods stores freaking out cuz they bought an "awesome" clear, plastic, $30 piece of junk, and on the off chance i see a quality gun coming out of a sporting goods store, the same gun is taken home only to be filled to the brim with .12's and dry fired until it cant take any more. But the worst part about this is that that kid really couldn't have known not to do those things to that gun, after looking all around the wb and in stores i havent been able to find anything that seems to be like an airsoft gun buyers guide telling you what goes into a good gun and what to look for and avoid like the devil himself. Near everything that i have learned about airsoft over the years has been through collective research, a couple of expert product reviews, and hear-say.

if anyone has similar views on this please let me know.
    Thanks, and great discussion topic!
  12. Old
    @dforces. I know what you mean about people saying paintball is better. One kid said airsoft was retarded (he went with our group for a bit and was a BIG problem himself and had a springer sniper rifle) and he asked people if they like airsoft or paintball. All said paintball that he asked. He then looked at me and i just laughed. I said, " 5 bucks says none of them have ever seen an actual DECENT airsoft gun and then went with a group outside of a backyard war. Point made i just walked away and he never said anything back.
    Posted 04-07-2010 at 08:54 PM by NOMERCYRedwolf NOMERCYRedwolf is offline
  13. Old
    Dforces, the responses you gave are what I get all the time at my school. It aggravates me to no end. If only they knew about high end manufacturers. When they ask how much a higher end gun costs, I tell them and they say "How many FPS does it shoot?" I keep trying to tell them that FPS does not matter. They just refuse to accept that a higher end gun costs more than the clearsoft POSs that are sold at WalMart.
    /rant.
  14. Old
    Another thing that REALLY aggravates me is when I see a group of kids running down the STREET shooting each other with their AA battery powered Airsoft guns. When I get a hold of one(Not physically, these people are my neighbors) and tell him ,"That's dangerous, you shouldn't be playing Airsoft in public areas" He says ,"It's not like any one can get hurt, it's just Airsoft". I once got in an argument with some one around my age about how running up and down a public road, shooting each other with Airsoft guns, is a BAD idea. I told him about how all it takes is an eight year old girl getting shot to get the Soccer Moms going. Before you know it "WHAM!" Airsoft's public standing drops massively. I then explained about how Airsoft can be banned in your community, or even state. He looked at me like I was an idiot and said "Airsoft cannot be banned, only real guns can be banned". The fact that a creature could amass such an amount of shear stupidity and audacity to say such a thing shocked me. It took HOURS for me to explain to him that Firearms cannot be eradicated in this country because it is a constitutional writ(Yes "Writ" is correct) to bare such weapons. On the other hand (Or at least last time I took a peak into the Federal Papers) It said nothing of Airsoft guns.
    While explaining to my friends what Airsoft is, and what kind of rifles/sidearms you should look into getting there is always one who has to go to Dickssporinggoods.com, and show me this http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...295234.2295235
    I then proceed to say "No, no, no. At least look into getting an Echo 1" Then come the questions like "What's that?". I then direct said person to a website like http://www.airsoftsmith.com/store/pr...oducts_id=1346
    And here comes the part that bugs me the most, said person says something like "It's the exact same gun, this $200 one is just a rip off" /facepalm. I'll leave you with that.
  15. Old
    It does not matter about the gun brand, type, the fps, or the color it just matters if you know your gun or not. and you cant call people noobs because there is someone out there that can beat you everyone is a noob.
  16. Old
    But the guns your friends want comes with a scope!

Wow at the post before mine...just wow.
    Updated 04-09-2010 at 12:34 PM by Phil
  17. Old
    actually wardog: you are a noob in my view, maybe you've been playing longer, i don't know, but your profile says you signed up last month. i have been on these forums since 2005 and playing at organized events since 2007\2008. I can't remember how long ago exactly. So no, I wouldn't be a noob, even if someone 'beat' me in airsoft.
  18. Old
    well still its not nice to call them noobs if you know nothing about them!!!!!!!
  19. Old
    ^you cant really call airsoft "underground" when it's a global sport played by thousands of people of all ages and backgrounds.

yes but all those people were recommended by someone or actually had to be looking for it to find it. Point is we are careful about who we show and support our own events, communities, websites etc without commercial advertising. It's not a household name like paintball. the ploy has always been airsoft to the public is a springer gun your kid plays in the backyard with not what looks to the untrained eye as some militia. This has always been key. Didn't think that changed. I know i'm very careful about who i show. And retailers selling to minors should be fined. That is my standing view.
  20. Old
    Ok, first off I agree with wardog, there really is no such thing as a noob cause just about everybody can be classified as a "noob" cause not everybody knows everything about airsoft.

Anywho,
    There is a pretty big ignorance with Airsoft in this country, No doubt at all. But the thing that remains, is the fact that we all just really need to learn to deal with it. I see a thread or blog like this every month and I've only been here for 6-7 months. Thats a whole lot of whinning right there. Of course kids around 13-16 will think like that because they really are'nt mature enough to take the time to look up higher quality brands, more reliable sources, reviews of said gun they want, etc. That ignorance will always be here as long as kids are interested in Airsoft. Soccer moms will also generally freak out if a kid gets shot because he has the "best idear Ev@r" to take a airsoft gun and pose it as a real gun because that stuff happens sometimes. The point im trying to get across here is THIS WILL ALWAYS HAPPEN AND THERE IS NO POINT IN ARGUING OR RANTING ABOUT IT
    But thats just my two cents.
    Updated 04-09-2010 at 04:30 PM by Tzar9k