Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Blogs > IRONMAN

Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

5 Reasons Why Being a Runner is Helpful in Airsoft

Posted 01-29-2012 at 02:53 PM by IRONMAN
Updated 02-09-2012 at 06:11 PM by IRONMAN
Yes, sounds kind of odd doesn't it? How exactly does running by yourself on a lonely country road with just a Nike dri-fit shirt, compression shorts, running shorts and Asics running shoes help you perform better in airsoft? Well, I'll explain to you...

1.Stimulates the Release of Brain Chemicals Such As Serotonin and Dopamine and Stimuates Endorphins
What this simply means is that running (or exercise in general..) calms you, lowers stress levels and can actually make you ENJOY the exercise itself. I'm sure we've all seen our fair share of blow hards in airsoft who go off about being hit too many times or are mad because their ego was damaged. Maybe if they a ran a couple miles before the event they wouldn't of been in such a bad mood. Airsoft is a game afterall...

2. Builds Leg Strength and Endurance
Have you ever had that feeling after running 200m across the field with your 30lb plate carrier, 4lb helmet and 20lb M249? Isn't easy, right? Being a runner help you by building leg strength (running up hills works great with this, as does lifting) and increases your body's tolerance to long and strenuous activity. Running with full gear in airsoft may not feel like running with just shorts and a t-shirt but it's good to have some sort of base.

3. Reduces Senses of Fatigue and Increases Stamina
This point has alot to do with number 2 and number 4. If you can run 10 miles in the middle of the summer on your own without passing out then you should be able to survive 2-4 hours of moderate exercise you get while airsofting. Water and a proper intake of electrolytes are an essential factor to achieving this though. Without water and the electrolyte nutrients (calcium, potassium, magnesium, sodium) you are pretty much done for. Your "mind over matter" mentality will count for nothing if your body isn't well supplied with what it needs. Trust me, I've been there and done that.

4. Increases Mental Strength
With proper nutrition and water intake your mental capacity to accomplish physical tasks is almost unlimited. Running to me is 20% physical and 80% mental. You can be the most fit person in the world but if you are a wuss when it comes to handling a little bit of pain when pushing youself then you won't perform very well at all. Running helps you build your mental strength when you realize your accomplishments. If you were able to run 3 miles without much problem then you won't be very hesistant to run 4 miles next time. Get where I'm going?

5. Improves Overall Health
This is by far the most important point. Cardiovascular disease is the number 1 killer disease in the United States. Being out of shape and overweight is the main contributer to this. Of course, there is the exception of people with genetically transfered heart conditions but their numbers are insignificant to the much broader obesity epidemic. Simply eating right and exercising (such as running..) can help reverse this. Is a simple change in your diet and 20 minutes of exercising a day too much or are you willing to make some changes? That is what I ask you.

My Credibilty So You Don't Think I'm Some
Wacko:

I've been an avid runner for the past 7 years, completed 3 marathons, educated by a former professional powerlifter and physical trainer for the past 8 years and I'm currently training for a full 140.6 mile Ironman triathlon.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 19053 Comments 33 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 33

Comments

1. Old
    Reason 6 doesn't apply to Beau. No matter how many games a girl can play tic-tac-toe on his mass amounts of manly mansauce abs, his problem lies with the fact that woman aren't attracted to The Swiss South Russian Defense Force airsoft reinacting crowd. Maybe if you were a SEAL like everyone else on AO, you would have more luck with that. Cheers mate
  2. Old
    ^ Swiss? Thats Spetsnaz. LOL. I might as well move over seas where girls would be attracted to my South Russian Defence Force loadout with my uber l33t custom static vest and mushroom shaped helmet cover. But then theres always the option of a Russian mail order bride.....
  3. Old
    I have a feeling the "love of your life" Berk looks something like this:

4. Old
    Thanks for making me puke on my Asics....
    I was thinking more along the lines of this

(Marion Cotillard) Yep, I'm into the (hot) French women. I have French ancestry and my first name is French so....

Damn you Daniel Craig!
    Updated 02-02-2012 at 10:46 PM by IRONMAN
  5. Old
    I run almost every day after school at my dads house around the woods for about 15 to 20 minutes to stay in shape.

LIGHTS Poxleitner wins, 'nuff said.
  6. Old
    double post
    Updated 02-03-2012 at 11:39 PM by INGINE (my wifi sucks.)
  7. Old
    Love the blog, love the tags. You've hit it on the head. And I'm pretty sure the woman would look like this.'

NSFW, so I can't post until later.
  8. Old
    Running is good because you strive to be as awesome as I am. The end result of running is being this awesome.
    Posted 02-04-2012 at 04:18 PM by Son of Liberty Son of Liberty is offline
  9. Old
    Please spare me... I didnt know that being awesome meant looking like a "V For Vendetta" backup actor

Twins brah....

Whos awesome?
    Updated 02-04-2012 at 11:46 PM by IRONMAN
  10. Old
    And to top it off...

Thats right! I took a picture with a Na'vi chick! You can also see Santa Claus (in civy clothes) and a little alien (chillen and sippin on some Earth water) in the background as well.

WIN
    Updated 02-05-2012 at 04:04 PM by IRONMAN
  11. Old
    This is a nice post, but it's common sense that being physically fit will help you in airsoft.
  12. Old
    @Misha

Well, I'm glad you figured that out. But there's different definitions of being "physically fit." I know guys who can bench 375lbs, squat 625 and deadlift 525 but have terrible endurance. On the reverse end, I know alot of guys who can run sub 5:00 miles and sub 17:00 5KMs but have very weak physical strength when it comes to lifting. I believe in order to be in optimal "physical shape" you must have a strong balance between strength and endurance. It's great to lift big weights in the gym but can't run more than 800m without getting out of breath and its another thing to be able to lift heavy weights while being able to run further than 10 miles consecutively.
    Updated 02-05-2012 at 03:16 PM by IRONMAN
  13. Old
    Nah bro, first of all I'm not a V for Vendetta backup, those mother ****ers would cast me alone. Second, don't make me have to one up you. And dude, I'm wearing an American flag as a cape. Give me some cred where cred is absolutely due.
    Posted 02-05-2012 at 11:18 PM by Son of Liberty Son of Liberty is offline