Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Blogs > Warlock

Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Review of Gunnar Opticks (Gaming Glasses)

Posted 05-28-2010 at 10:46 PM by Warlock
Here is my small review of my pair of Gunnar Opticks.

First of what are they?
Here is the website www.gunnars.com

There is all kinds of information and various scientific terms they use to explain their eye wear.

Short Story: The eye wear is designed to reduce eyestrain from the bright lights of all sorts of electronic screens such as televisions, computer monitors, cell phones, etc. All of these items are extremely bright compared to a natural environment. The most harsh colors being shades of blue, this is why the lens are tinted yellow to counteract the blue shades.

I know there are a lot of gamers and tech buffs on this forum and I wanted to simply introduce you to a product you may have never heard of. In today's world we can all admit to spending a lot of time in front of bright screens for whatever reason, work, entertainment, or most likely both.

My personal review: I have had the glasses for about a week now, I can tell you that they do reduce tension on your eyes, at least for me. My main problem is mostlikely from squinting and this builds up tension in my eyebrows. I can sit on the computer for hours with little strain. Where as before after a few hours I would want to take a break, and rest my eyes.

Do they work, I can't really be the judge on that topic, they are not some cure all, after sitting at a computer for 3-5 hours or so I still suffer from minor tension but not near as bad as I have in the past. Maybe in a couple weeks the difference will be more noticeable.

They are expensive, starting price is around $70 and shoots up into several hundred depending on the frames.

Please do not flame me, or spoil the blog by saying they are overpriced and useless. Let the people that buy them be the judge, I figured there would be some interest and hopefully it will help someones suffering.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 9449 Comments 7 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 7

Comments

1. Old
    Very interesting, I might look into these but wouldn't a regular yellow tint glasses produce the same thing as one of those yellow tinted glasses? I suffer a little in the winter from this and the price would be acceptable if they work kind of like ESS turbo fans for airsoft (expensive but they do the job well) Wahugg
  2. Old
    Quote:
    Very interesting, I might look into these but wouldn't a regular yellow tint glasses produce the same thing as one of those yellow tinted glasses?
    That's kind of what I was thinking. I mean, I don't own them, so I can't really comment on how well they work. But reading the site, it seems to me like they're making these things seem a lot more scientific than they really are. I could be wrong, but that's how it comes across to me. I'd like to see someone who actually owns these compare them to, say, a cheap pair of yellow tinted sunglasses you'd buy at Wal-Mart.

Personally, I couldn't use them, as I wear glasses and I highly doubt these could work in conjunction with them. I don't usually have problems with eye strain when playing games anyway, but I know a few people who do.Overall, I guess it's a pretty cool idea. I'm just a little weary of the price...
  3. Old
    I am a fan of these without having purchased them. I recently bought a pair of frames (and paid about 2-300$!) for a pair of work glasses without any of the tinting or anything. I'm sort of regretting it now, because these glasses seem like they could have helped with a little more of the glare problem. I get tension headaches from sitting at work all day; I work as a customer service rep, but we look at screens all day, and the sun/window is next to my monitor and it glares in the afternoon. Then, I come home and play games in the evening and watch TV. My prescription reading text on a monitor is different than my Rx for distance, so a pair of these glasses seem like they'd be an awesome idea.

Thank you, sir, for bringing them to my attention. Even if it was about 5 weeks late.
  4. Old
    Quote:
    Personally, I couldn't use them, as I wear glasses and I highly doubt these could work in conjunction with them.
    As a note, if you want to get a prescription with these glasses, you have to get a frame that can take an Rx and you have to go to their retailer to order the glasses.

The info is here
  5. Old
    I don't remember where I read this, but I heard that playing video games (not necessarily with any special glasses), actually makes peoples vision better.

First time I heard that I was just like, uh yeah thats some BS. But I've actually heard from multiple sources that it is actually true.

I can't think where I first saw that but yeah, haha.

My $.02
  6. Old
    Quote:
    I don't remember where I read this, but I heard that playing video games (not necessarily with any special glasses), actually makes peoples vision better.
    From what I have heard video games in particular will make a persons Extraocular reaction time better, which in turn can help the general focus of the eye. Although this seems like a good thing, staring at harsh lights for long periods of time will unarguably diminish your eyesight in the long run.

I am not saying you are right or wrong, that is just what I have heard.

On a side note, I used to work for Microcenter of Columbus and I was able to use a pair of Gunners. I can say from experience that they do work much better than a pair of yellow-tinted glasses would. If you are going to be inches from a TV or computer screen for long periods of time, multiple times per day- they are an amazing buy and worth the money. On the other hand, if you don't get that amount of strain on a regular basis you wont notice a difference and will have blown $70-$300 on silly glasses.
  7. Old
    love: agape, eros, and alexander wang dress philia. Agape is a kind
    of love buy alexander wang dress that does not respond to the antecedent but instead

is ugg bailey button chestnut thought to create value in the beloved;
    it has come through ugg argyle knit the Christian tradition to mean the sort of love God has our love

for ugg handbags God and our love for humankind in general.
    By contrast, eros sheepskin ugg boots and philia are generally understood to be responsive to

ugg boots for cheap xzx