Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Blogs > WhiteRook

Rate this Entry

Reenacting vs Airsoft

Posted 03-07-2010 at 11:34 AM by WhiteRook
Cold Steel at Battlefront Paintball was my first milsim airsoft event. Being from Cincinnati, I was lucky enough to make advanced plans to be part of the Motel Militia and spend Friday night at the Super 8 down the road.

As I am used to Civil War & WWII Tacticals and Battle reenactments, I will use those events for my baseline of comparison. Not that one is better than the other, just that they are different and why I may seem different to my fellow airsofter (other that that sign somebody taped on my back that says “n00b”).

The long and short of it is that in reenacting, you immerse yourself into the time period. When you check in on Friday, you are in the army - reenacting your particular role and you stay in that role until check out on Sunday. When in WWII garrison, as we often stay on base in barracks – such as Ft. Campbell, Ft. Custer, or Camp Atterbury. In garrison, strict military bearing and discipline in encouraged. Typically on Saturday morning, we are then trucked to jumping off point in duce and a half trucks. However, if you’re WWII Impression (loadout) is that in an airborne trooper, you are typically mis-dropped around 0430, with a mission to take a bridge or hold an intersection so the tucks can get through. This is all the good stuff.

But, this is also the point when the tactical begins and things breakdown for me because shooting blanks at each other just seems silly and it is what has drawn me to airsoft.

When shooting blanks out of rs rifles, you have to get the target’s attention – using 2 or 3 shots. Once that happens, he will usually take his hit and then, similar to airsoft, we have medic and bleed rules. However, there is more than often the argument “you didn’t get me … “. I often respond with “what are you twelve?” … which does no good, but makes me feel better. The whole immersion experience is quickly gone with the wind.

Now, this is the point when airsoft gets my adrenalin flowing (a very powerful, all natural, and legal drug that I enjoy very much). For example, my recent experience at Cold Steel. Prior to taking the field, it was a pretty relaxed atmosphere. Please understand, that’s not a bad thing – it’s just different. However, there was an Asian guy running around with a bull horn basically saying - in a polite way - that he would kick your butt if you didn’t get your gear on PDQ. This made me feel at home.

Once in the field, the airsoft experience was completely different. Just the sound of bb’s hitting near me meant that somebody knew were I was and I needed to get re-situated in an expedited manner. I always knew when I was hit. You can hear that unmistakable sound of a bb hitting your bdu’s.

While I'm sure there are times when not calling your hits becomes problematic, for me it will not detract from my experience.

Being is someone’s sights is a feeling that I will not forget quickly and that I will look forward to again at my next airsoft milsim.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 3340 Comments 12 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 12

Comments

1. Old
    Whiterook you were a fantastic medic for our squad at Cold Steel and I would gladly take you into any squad I am part of in the future. Every time I looked back you had a smile on your face or you were chomping at the bit to get out there and sling some more plastic. I am always glad to see gents like yourself sign onto our beloved sport and I hope you continue to enjoy your stay in our "milsim-ish" world of Airsoft.
  2. Old
    I am very glad you enjoyed yourself, and you did a fantastic job as our medic. Don't mind Miyagi. Believe it or not, that was him after we slipped a few valium into his coffee, otherwise we'd still be out there running. It was great to have you out there with us, and I am looking forward to the next event, as always!
  3. Old
    WhiteRook, Glad you had a blast. Like others said, you were a fantastic medic, and that needs to keep on being repeated.

Even though you could of wanted more trigger time, we all feel your pain at one time or another, but don't worry, you will get some plastic slinging downrange. Glad you had fun however

I'll be more than happy to be next to you next time at an event, hope to see you at open plays also
  4. Old
    That short asian guy was I. I do it to get people motivated and get a sense of being in the military. If someone can't take verbal abuse, how are they gonna take the physical and mental stress of simulated combat(airsoft).
    Airsoft is playing like your in a warzone. There is always 1 person who has to take charge. Alot of airsofters raise their hands and get things done.
    WR, I am happy you had a good experience with your first airsoft event. You did very well. I will say it for the AO community.........welcome to airsofting and AO bro.
    Hooyah!!
  5. Old
    Whiterook, i'm jealous you made this one.!Sounded like a great event. I'm sure i'll see you at other events this year. Spine Doc
  6. Old
    WR, great chatting with you before the event and during lunch. Glad you had a great time, hope to see you at Red Dragon or other big events sometime this year.
  7. Old
    Hey WhiteRook, sounds like you had a fantastic time. I have to say, I personally enjoyed reading your post and hearing your experience being that your used to the reenacting and shooting blanks. Based on comments from others on here, it looks like you did a fantastic job as a medic and got to shoot some plastic around.

I know we've talked in person at AA store, hopefully we will get to play together in one of the events. Conversating with you was a pleasure. Hopefully we will see you out in the field soon.
  8. Old
    Hey man, as you know, I'm glad you took up Airsoft, this is a great sport to play with alot of great people. Altough I havn't gotten to play With you, I have played aginst you. Hopefully that will change ;-) . And it's always great chating with you too about stuff. nice blog thanks.
  9. Old
    Great comments. So you know there are some extended play events not too far from you. You might find those a perfect balance.

Ive seen some decent ww2 themed airsoft events on the internet. Has this drawn any attention from the reenactment crowd?
  10. Old
    John:

There seems to be more interest in combining Vietnam War Reenacting with Airsoft Milsims. I presume due to the close combat nature of the jungles of SE Asia.

Not to sound sn00bish, but many WWII reenactors/airsofters that I speak to find Modern Airsoft Milsims to be just as authentic, if not more so, that other types of reenacting.
  11. Old
    I do WW2 Reenacting and Airsoft, of course.

I greatly enjoy both.

I think there are a lot of good points in the blog and the comments. Each hobby has their pros and cons. But both have those unique perks in them that make them greatly enjoyable.
  12. Old
    Actually, [url=http://www.wowgoldnow.com]cheap wow gold[/url] fresh water is in a short supply,[url=http://www.wowgoldnow.com]buy wow gold[/url] fresh water consumption remains

great.[url=http://www.tiffanyreplica.info]tiffany[/url] Besides, with the development of industry, [url=http://www.buy-wow.com]wow buy gold[/url]more water is needed.

Moreover,[url=http://www.goldshire.net]cheapest wow gold[/url]a lot of our rivers and lakes have been so polluted that water from them is undrinkableyy2010.5.4