Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Blogs > smith2

Rate this Entry

Red Dusk

Posted 12-23-2009 at 01:00 AM by smith2
Updated 12-24-2009 at 03:20 AM by smith2
Got bored one day, decided to write. Gerber inspired me to post this. Enjoy

Aaron took a deep breath, checking his mags subconsciously for the umpteenth time. He reached down without taking his eyes off the road, tapping each magazine on his vest. Five left, he thought. Not good. He glanced around, making sure his squad was in position. He didnt have to, he knew. The members of his squad used to be ROTC cadets at the local college, the only time they had fired a rifle was at the qualifying range. Now they were all battle hardened soldiers. Veterans and survivors of the past two weeks of fighting. Two weeks, he blinked. Has it really been that long?

He closed his eyes, his mind drifting back to the sound of the air raid sirens blaring. He remembered the confusion, who was attacking us? Why? It was cool at first, seeing the hundreds of planes flying by, taking up the entire sky. Most were small, manuverable craft. In formations of about a doven or more, flying in a tight vee. But some were larger craft, dispelling hundreds of soldiers with parachutes. An airborne unit, he remembered saying to one of his friends. He was planning on going to airborne school that summer... But when they landed, they immediately started shooting.

"Hunter 2-actual. Respond"

Aaron snapped out of his reverie. Hunter 2 was his callsign. "This is Hunter 2. Go ahead" He responded. "We have a large enemy convoy headed in your direction. Three supply trucks guarded by two armored vehicles." said the radio operator. Damn, he thought. They used to lightly supported convoys, now the enemy was stepping up their game. "Roger that. Continue with the plan" He responded. After the confirmation from the other radio operator, he ended the transmission. He looked around.

He was perched atop an overhang of a destroyed building that his squad had occupied. The building sat next to a road that the enemy had been using recently as a supply route for a nearby base. On his right sat Hoy, a javelin missle launcher perched on his shoulders. He glanced up from adjusting the sight. "Everything alright?" He asked. Aaron shrugged. "They are beefing up their security. They have two armored vehicles. Hoy whistled. "You sure we can take em both?" "Yes. you take out the first one, and i'll handle the last one. I'll let the rest of the squad know." Hoy nodded and went back to fiddling with the rocket launcher.

Aaron had just got done briefing the squad when he felt a faint rumble. "Here we go boys" he said. "Go by the plan, and we'll all make it home safe." The metallic sound of weapons getting charged was the only response. He nodded and went back to his position.

Moments later, the convoy came into view. The lead armored vehicle was a menacing eight-wheeled vehicle with a top-mounted 20mm cannon. The hull was pitted and scarred from the past weeks of fighting, but it still looked in pretty good shape. Lets hope Hoy doesnt miss, Thought Aaron. Suddenly he heard loud whoosh, and watched as Hoy's missle fired, and went straight up. The creators of the javelin missle system designed the missle around the fact that any vehicles armor is weakest at the top. The missle is designed to go straight up, then straight down on the target, penetrating the vehicle then exploding.

The vehicles gunner, however, saw the launch and immediately started turning the cannon on top of the vehicle towards their position. Aaron watched helplessly as the cannon slowly turned straight towards him and then, the vehicle exploded. The javelin missle had penetrated the vehicles ammo storage and had cooked off the shells, causing a massive fireball and throwing shrapnel everywhere. The vehicles behind the wreck screeched to a halt, the road being blocked by the destroyed vehicle. At that moment the SAW gunner, Dowling, opened up with his belt-fed machine gun, peppering the vehicles.

Through the smoke, he saw the rear vehicle, the other armored fighting vehicle similar to the one they just destroyed, drive off the road, and started driving towards them, firing its cannon. He ducked as shells hammered the building, shaking the building as each shell slammed into it. "Smoke!" Aaron called. Almost immediately, three small canisters flew out onto the road, dispensing thick clouds of smoke. He dropped his M4 and pulled out his pistol, jumpind down onto the road. He ran through the smoke, directly towards the vehicle, still firing away with its cannon.

He sprinted through the smoke. It was much thicker than he had anticipated, the first armored vehicle was still belching smoke from the first explosion. Through the smoke he saw the outlines of the supply trucks. Behind them, a dark shadow of the last armored vehicles, lighting up intermittently with each shot from the cannon. He glanced back, Rauth and Weber were right behind him, as planned. They were to provide security for Aaron, although he knew he wouldn't need it. The drivers of the trucks usually ditched their vehicles and ran off at the first sign of trouble, to get picked off by members of the squad.

Through the smoke, however, he saw movement. A figure, climbing down from the back of a truck. Aaron's eyes widened in horror as he saw two, then three, before long a whole squad had disembarked from the back of the truck. He looked back at Rauth and Weber, both of them nodding at him, Rauth readying his M4 and Weber taking a grenade from his vest.

"Set up security, men." Growled the Russian sergeant. He and his men had just disembarked out of the back of the transport. The Americans would be expecting to be facing some lousy truck drivers, they would be too eager to get the much needed supplies from the trucks to realize they were actually facing a squad of Spetznatz, Russia's elite special forces.

He looked around, his squad taking up defensive positions around the truck. The smoke billowing around them would hinder their vision, but they still had the element of surprise. "Sir, movement ahead" Rokk, their squad's designated marksman called out. He looked down the the scope of his dragunov rifle, scanning for targets.

20 meters away, Weber leaned out from the truck he was behind, tossing his grenade. The instant the grenade left his fingers, there was a loud crack. Weber grunted as he felt the bullet tear through his shoulder. He fell to the ground and rolled back into cover just as another shot from the sniper ricocheted off the truck.

"Damn" Muttered the Russian sniper. The American soldier knew what he was doing, only exposing enough of his body to throw the grenade. He was hoping for a head shot, but a shot to the shoulder would suffice, the man would bleed out unless he had access to immediate medical aid.

The grenade.

He looked up to see the fragmentation grenade sailing in the air, straight towards their position. "GREN-" The warning died abruptly as the .50 cal slug obliterated his head, along with most of his upper body.

Up on the rooftop of the destroyed building, in a concealed position, Gagnon grinned as he looked through his thermal scope. The Russian soldiers, thinking they were concealed by the smoke, looked as though they were standing in broad daylight, his scope picking up the enemy heat signatures as a bright white in contrast to the stark gray surroundings.

The Russian sergeant blinked. Staring at the smoking corpse of what was left of his sniper, he barely heard the thunk of the grenade as it landed in the middle of his squad.

Weber's perfectly placed grenade went off precisely where he had aimed, scattering Russians everywhere. Those that were far enough away from the blast were lucky enough to only recieve slight wounds. Those who were unfortunate enough to be closer, died instantly.

Aaron turned to Rauth. "Take care of Weber". Rauth nodded, and Aaron reached into his pack and took out two C4 charges. "I'll take care of the armored vehicle"

The Russian sergeant shook his head, trying to get the ringing out of his head. He was on his back, not sure how he got there. He got up, wincing in pain from the wounds from where the shrapnel had pierced his vest. He looked around.

Three of his men were down, not moving, the rest were getting up, although all were sporting wounds of some degree. They weren't facing the civilian militia they were used to fighting, he realized. They were actually facing American soldiers.

"Fall back to the APC!" He barked. Barely believing his own words. They were Spetsnaz, they werent allowed to retreat. But they had no choice, he had no idea what kind of numbers they were up against. The armored vehicle at the end of the convoy would have enough armor to defend against whatever the Americans were throwing at them. His men started firing in the direction of the enemy sniper and began bounding back to the APC. One of his men fell, a smoking hole in his chest where the sniper round had found his mark. He has to be using a thermal sight of some sort. He thought. "Incendiary grenades!" He ordered. Two of his men threw s number of small canisters behind them, each exploding in a small fireball. That ought to cover our retreat, the sergeant hoped.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 3933 Comments 9 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 9

Comments

1. Old
    To be named so often, Aaron must be very important in your story
  2. Old
    Indeed, kinda obnoxious how much I say his name. Editing...
  3. Old
    Outstanding story! I thought it was pretty sweet, but why didn't you put me in there bro
  4. Old
    hahaha. i love the story. and I also love that I inspired someone. great job ,mate!
  5. Old
    I like it. If you get something published let us know I will buy it.
    Posted 12-25-2009 at 09:00 PM by revoltofthestrong revoltofthestrong is offline
  6. Old
    Great job. Tho I found some of the U.S. soldiers' names hard to pronounce. Oh and Aaron is apaallen's first name (tho you probably don't know who he is).
  7. Old
    Yeah! Why am I not in it! We are on the same team...
  8. Old
    It reminds me of MW2.... Good story though.
    Posted 12-27-2009 at 09:36 PM by MeticulousAssasin MeticulousAssasin is offline
  9. Old
    Yay a story about me. Thanks smith!

I'm sure it's about somone else, but Aaron isn't a common name so it's neat to see it used.
    Updated 12-31-2009 at 12:10 PM by Scorpion