Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Blogs > storm401

Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

how we should treat new people

Posted 12-14-2011 at 09:22 AM by storm401
We are an amazing community here on AO. But it really irritates me when i see new players and new MEMBERS of our community talked down to and disrespected. What happened to being helpful and kind? My first post on here was asking a stupid question, but rather than biting my head off about google, search feature or being a moron people helped me. That stuck with me in the sense that i actively try to not jump all over new players for spelling,stupid questions, already answered questions, not searching ect. I understand the need for them to learn our rules and everything but rather than tear into them about it and possibly discouraging them from returning by looking like jerks, shouldnt we kindly answer their question, remind them of the rules or ask them in the future please use spell check? I just feel all the back seat moderation iv been seeing is sending some players away from a community im personally thankful for and glad to be a small part of.

But thats just me

(Steping off soapbox)
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 10057 Comments 29 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 29

Comments

1. Old
    i agree im pretty new to thisand at my first game (night archer 7) i had 2 mid caps no vest and a ****typaintball mask. people noticed that iwas new. when i walked onto the field with a combat medic vest 6 m4 midcaps very!!!! nice goggles and thanks to one team they let mekeep 2 of there m4 mags. it was a expereinse that made me feel really good.
  2. Old
    Everyone hates on the Boot. Its normal. Honestly, if you aren't full retard and have thick skin, you will thrive. If you conduct yourself in a manner that deserves respect, you will earn it. Following the rules is part of the game. If you step on the field and act like a jackass, then you are a jackass. But if you are respectful to others and those who came before you. You will be fine.

Dive: Never go Full Retard.
  3. Old
    Or you know...

New people could just read the rules and it would solve all the problems you just listed.

Pretty easy eh?
  4. Old
    I am wondering if in that introductory PM that is autosent by Locutus we could put in links to all of the rules threads, that might "inspire" some people.

We all aren't naturally acquainted with the internet. The first thing I do when I get on a website isn't look for the rulebook. Yeah, some people need to take their own initiative, but if all we do is yell at them to learn, who's worst? It's easy for us to say read the rules when we've been here for 2+ years, but think about it from the perspective of a guy/gal who just signed up her. Be more empathetic guys.
    Updated 12-18-2011 at 08:12 PM by Panda
  5. Old
    Dissenting opinion:

Newbs will be newbs and they will be called on it. What we don't need is more mock shaming of members. People need to get up in the new members butt about learning to follow the rules of the forums.

IF they are such tiny insignificant people they can't take a reprimand to fall in line, do you really want these precious people manning a gun at a game?

Fox was a nub once and I rode his butt and look where he is now. All the rest of you who think its just awful need to grow a pair.

This is a hobby that prides itself as being military simulation not Barney's funtime with the kids. Don't expect your mama to bake you warm biscuits and read you a story. Follow the rules that are posted and learn to think for yourself.

The nubs will be just fine, so drop the outrage.
  6. Old
    I don't see how 'information for new people' is hard to miss. Most people write an intro anyways, for one reason or another. Following that, it's right on top of the forums area.

Besides, most people are punished a lot less then you would think. I believe the term is - the bark is worse then the bite. It actually takes some effort to get banned from AO.
  7. Old
    its not so much that i think theyre over punished by the mod staff or anything but im just tired of seeing backseat moderators jump all over someone over something like spelling totally derailing a thread in the process. rule infractions are one thing and i understand that aspect but harping on the smaller things is just annoying to read.
  8. Old
    I'm with Storm on this, is it really constructive for the group when six or seven people all comment on a newbies photo calling him for finger on the trigger.
  9. Old
    Personally I agree with both sides I am new to this forum and community but I am definitely not new to these kinds of communities. I recently just moved down here and have had to see and read the same exact things as this all over the previous sights I was a part of and I agree that new people should be told what to do and what not to do but I also agree it shouldn't be done over the thread just pm them and save an arguement to get off topic. Also I do agree with Texx but however I do agree that you should get on people's case but only in a well mannered and proffessional way about it especially if you don't know who they are because you don't just say F#@% OFF HOMOSEXUAL because they forgot to look at or follow the rules a couple times but I do agree with you guys on both sides.
    Updated 12-22-2011 at 07:53 PM by xLoCxRambo
  10. Old
    I'm pretty much neutral in this sort of never-ending conflict between "noobs" and "veterans". On one side, there are a countless amount of people who needed that sort of "discipline" when coming into the airsoft community, (me included). This is due to the fact that airsoft is a sport that requires A LOT of discipline. But, on the other-hand, everyone makes mistakes, everyone started somewhere, so why not "teach" rather than "punish". In order to have a balance of the two that isn't too "It's okay" and "Idiot, read the rules" is key.
  11. Old
    My thoughts on this are simple.

When I first joined this Community, I took the time to read and learn before I opened my mouth.....too much. I did make a few people upset, and thought to myself, just chill out.

I took the time to let people get to know me. I sent PM's when I had questions, and asked only those I had gotten to know. I went to games, made friends, and treated other the way I would like to be treated.

There has been an influx of people asking random questions. Or if someone asks a question, they slam each other over it. I think if you looked a little deeper into this, you will find that the ones butt hurting people the most, are other new or newer guys. They seem to think that playing and having gone to an event, suddenly makes them a Vet on AO. This is where the problem is.

I really wish there could be a rule simply stating, unless you've been on AO for X amount of time, you MAY NOT correct and or be harsh to another AO member. Perhaps we could even assign a group of AO "Vets" to be in charge of handling questions in certain areas? I for one would be willing to help anyone if they asked me.

And there is the the other problem. Guys on here simply don't ask. They go into a thread and make complete idiots out of themselves. I struggle with this a lot. Once this is going on, I just have to open my mouth and let them have it. I use to be a lot worse. In fact, people loved it when I went into the Chat room here. It was almost a given someone was going to get bashed by me.

I've changed my ways, been keeping to myself, but the AO Forums are getting full of silly drama. I am about to step back in and keep a few guys in check.

Anyway, enough of my soapbox rant.

AWOL
  12. Old
    ^ the thing i like is the willingness to help

the thing i dont is the question i have of who you plan on keeping in check ? lol
  13. Old
    I get made fun of daily at work being the newest guy there. I go with it, I listen to what the guys have to say, and I correct my mistakes. I also dish a little bit back at them, but very little compared to what I take.

Within a month of working at my new job, I've earned the respect of about everyone there. Even the guys who I thought hated my guts. I work hard, I listen well, and I treat the guys with respect. Minus that one guy that everyone hates.

I knew my place, I did my part, and I'm on my way to becoming a solid part of the team. Not sure why people can't do this with airsoft.
  14. Old
    Learn to have thicker skin for gods sake guys.

You're gonna get ragged on for being the FNG. It happens.

Get over it, learn and move on.

It's not that hard.
  15. Old
    Add into the mix this situation:

New person asks X question.

Veteran answers X question, but it's not the answer the new person likes / wanted. But, it's the real answer.

New person then tells the veteran they're wrong and they don't know anything.

So really, this is a two way street. However, the new people, since they are new, should show a bit of respect for the people around first and take advice - whether it's what they wanted to hear or not. The above situation is one of the reasons why I stopped answering questions mostly. I've been playing airsoft for longer then some people on this forum have been alive.
  16. Old
    i guess im just over sympathetic to new people then haha
  17. Old
    What it comes down to at the end of the day is that airsoft is just a game. I understand that poorly written posts and stupid topics can get very very annoying, but I have also been seeing a constant theme in the threads; Veterans ripping on the little guy. And it seems that you support each other in it. I am a firm believer in constructive criticism but I do not agree with the degrading comments. I get what Red says, but that is a job. This is a GAME. Honestly a man is foolish if he says that he doesn't like to be shown grace and patience. Give them a break.
    An idea..... Send them comment that states, "Hey, I can tell that you are new and don't understand some of the rules of this site, so I am going to send you a PM to explain some things" Then you PM them and just mention what they did wrong and where they can go to find what they need/learn the rules. Do it with a good attitude and with love for a brother.
    We are a community. I for one want to be in a community that respects me and doesn't treat me as a lessor person.
    I see where you come from Storm
  18. Old
    Saying that "you" went through it so everyone else should too is a stupid argument. Why wouldn't we want the best for each other? just because you are treated badly doesn't mean others should be too
  19. Old
    And your too new to even speak about the subject.

I'm not saying what I went through, but people have to show respect before I give them respect. They're the new person here, I don't know them - so why should I respect them? Especially when the come and immediately break rules?

If they don't show any effort in getting to know the forum and it's rules, then what makes apparent they're going to be a good member?

Stick around for a while, maybe you'll see what happens.

This is the same story that has gone on for 10 years, I'm the new guy, I'm the victim, feel bad for me. No, I don't - read the rules, or accept the punishment. Pick one.
  20. Old
    So are you saying you are an "elitist"? It doesn't take someone who has been on here since 2003 to understand that we all want to be treated with some respect. When or if you were in their shoes, don't you wish you were treated better? Of course! we all want to be treated well.
    You should show them respect because they are another human being and fellow airsofter. New members are the future of the sport.
    All I am saying is that we need to try to remain respectful and have a willingness to help out the "new" guys.