Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Blogs > Torque

Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Choosing an AO member name

Posted 07-15-2009 at 09:55 AM by Torque
Updated 07-17-2009 at 09:49 AM by Torque
Ok, I'm really surprised none of the veterans have written about this topic before, so I thought I'd briefly discuss the topic of choosing an AO member name.

What is a member name?
Well, it's the forum name that you sign up with when you create an AO account. It's the name you will log on with, and the name that that you will be recognized with in the AO forums. Many different AO members have reasons to create the name they log in with; some are nicknames, some are chosen for their appeal, some are given to them by others, and others are simply random choices. A member name will convey quite a bit of information about you as a member to others. As you contribute more and more good things to the community, other AO members will come to recognize and hopefully respect your member name. So it is important to choose something that represents your personality and conveys the right impression.

Now one thing I've noticed over the years of being an AO member, is that is it VERY easy to identify who are the n00bs and who are the ones who will eventually become vet members. In fact, it's fairly easy to predict the following based on one's AO member name:

1) Newbishness
2) Maturity level
3) Relative Age
4) Seriousness about the game of Airsoft
5) How many dumb or smart questions this member will ask when they first sign up
6) Who will become valuable contributors to AO in the long term
7) Whose threads will most likely get closed

So what's your secret for this magical identification?
If you look around AO, one thing you'll notice is that all of the veterans on AO have member names that match their call signs. These names are not only cool, but they're easy to pronounce and easy to read. Names like:

Texx
Fox
Loki
Grease Man
Blade
Hillslam
Locutus
Rocket
Merc
Decoy
Evil Head
Link
RipTide
Miyagi
Red
Iceman
oh, and I guess Minion too

etc., etc., just to name a few. Very simple. You can tell just from the names that these guys (or gals) rock, and are easily recognized at most of the 100 series, 200 series, and national-level Airsoft games. These are the guys that are interested in milsim and other aspects of the game. These are guys that have nothing to hide, and are ready and willing to help the community whenever possible.

Now, let me list some made-up names of a style that I routinely see on AO these days:

JackassAssassin
ladiesman217
bleedo125744
SuperDuperSniperDudez
KewlKillaz6756
AlienPillowManCandy
HawtMomCoxer69
fgdgfdcx1232
SargeantButtHead
l33t707x
fuzzyFairieSlippers
samito34588i3i3
xxxwhaddaFuuuuxxx
InYerFaceFatBoi
carneyblanshraseid
Imheretocausetrouble
JaggediJiggidiboo
I_R_reeli_dumb_11

See the difference? What do you think these types of names say to the AO community? Do you believe that these names convey a sense of maturity? Of intelligence? Do you think the AO community will take you seriously with this type of screen name/call sign? Do you think this is a good start to becoming a member? Do you think an airsoft team would want you to join them? Can we even pronounce your ridiculous member name?

I mean no offense to anyone on these forums. And of course, what you call yourself on AO or on the field is completely up to you. No one can tell you what to do. But just think about it. A good screen name/call sign is more important that you might think.

Discuss.
Views 17831 Comments 35 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 35

Comments

1. Old
    You may have a point, but you may not. Sure those names are ridiculous and tend to indicate someone younger and more 'net' oriented personality than what people want on AO. However, it could also mean that they came up with that name when they were younger and simply still have it.

For example, my forum name, "NegSpace," has been something I've used since 1997. Sooner or later, there will be players younger than my forum name. Actually, seeing as someone brought his 10-year-old son to Battlefront recently, this is already true. It was a random moniker that a friend helped create. He suggested Negative Space or Ultimate Toaster. I took the former. It's fairly unique, and after 12 years, I'm used to it.

However, I go by the callsign "Doc" at events. Short, sweet, even though there are already a couple other "Doc's" by my count (one on Strikers and one on Ronin). It may make things confusing, but I signed up on the forums before hitting up events. It may make things even more confusing by changing my forum name. It's hard to say. I'm not exactly a well-known member, so not too many people would have an issue.

So, I suppose, it can go either way. To quote William Shakespeare:

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

Even if someone had a decent name, it's no guarantee that they are going to be mature and have a positive impact on the community.
  2. Old
    APPLAUSE!!!!
  3. Old
    No 1 knws how 733t i iz 4 reelz!

InYerFaceFatBoi did make me laugh for a minute or two at least, your blog has a good point.
  4. Old
    Great post, i hope some people will view this and take it into mind when creating an AO account.

My name is an old one that i used on some online games and sites. I chose it as my callsign as well because it is easy to say and remember.
  5. Old
    Excellent article Torque!

Could not agree with your points more sir
  6. Old
    I hate this blog, it sucks. My name is totally cool because it is not only named after one of the greatest video games ever (Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty) and the awesome people who founded our country (The Sons of Liberty) but is also not only one word, but three!

However, you do make a very valid point. It is quite easy to pick out those that take this sport seriously, because I don't want John Lu to call me PoopyfacecrappyPants1337, but by a respectable nickname that I can easily be identified by.
    Posted 07-15-2009 at 03:56 PM by Son of Liberty Son of Liberty is offline
  7. Old
    Quote:
    It is quite easy to pick out those that take this sport seriously, because I don't want John Lu to call me PoopyfacecrappyPants1337, but by a respectable nickname that I can easily be identified by.
    LOL! It may not be respectable, but you'll be the most easily identified callsign out there!
  8. Old
    Now that I have read it, it does make alot of sense.
  9. Old
    Quote:
    hawtmomcoxer69
    'nuff said
  10. Old
    SOL, I always thought your Dad's name was Liberty.
  11. Old
    I am hurt my name is not up there under the cool name but I agree for me. When I moved out to California I found it hard to meet some people because I would get a feel for people from their posts but then when I went to the fields they had different names 95% of the time. So I had no idea who was who. Just makes it easy for people to get to know other people. That is just my thought.....PS PUT MY NAME UP THERE UNDER THE COOL LIST!
  12. Old
    Haha
    HawtMomCoxer69
    Is that from the hall of infamy post where that guy wanted to 'cox' his mom?
  13. Old
    Where else would it be from!!
    Posted 07-15-2009 at 08:30 PM by Son of Liberty Son of Liberty is offline
  14. Old
    ladiesman217 I just now realized this is Shia LaBeouf's user Ebay username on Transformers. LOL
    P.S. Don't ask me how I remembered this it just popped up.
  15. Old
    i am the jackass assassin! ya, i see your point. most of my friends shorted their names to initials because they all are something like Wörfrámiez or Xochipitzihuit.
  16. Old
    Now, let me list some made-up names that I routinely see on AO these days:

JackassAssassin
    ladiesman217
    bleedo125744
    SuperDuperSniperDudez
    KewlKillaz6756
    AlienPillowManCandy
    HawtMomCoxer69
    fgdgfdcx1232
    SargeantButtHead
    l33t707x
    fuzzyFairieSlippers
    samito34588i3i3
    xxxwhaddaFuuuuxxx
    InYerFaceFatBoi
    carneyblanshraseid
    Imheretocausetrouble
    JaggediJiggidiboo
    I_R_reeli_dumb_11

Just curious as to how you can see these names on AO when you made them up. :-) Good post
  17. Old
    Or the unlimited supply of noobs with the word "sniper"* in their name. *This excludes snipe.

Everytime I see some random user with some unreadable user name, I just cringe and hope someday they will get a real callsign.
  18. Old
    My Father rest his soul always said display your life with Pride and Honor and your name will be respected,how fitting for a airsoft call sign

Great post
  19. Old
    You got some good points in there.
    almost al the new people have a number in their names now. I have no idea why I did put 5 in my name

Super post!
    Updated 07-16-2009 at 06:28 PM by johnsen5
  20. Old
    Wow...4 - 6MM. Militia names on the list.

Myself as well as others on 6MM. have commented many times that Callsigns and AO user names should match. It sets a certain level of accountablity.

This is a great post