Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Blogs > Vinvyin

Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Teams

Posted 11-09-2011 at 06:39 PM by Vinvyin
So this is mainly for help, but I thought I would share and see if anyone else had some advice or experience they could pass along to me.

I recently decided that my team wasn't serious enough for me. They joke around too much and are sarcastic all the time. They play jokes on each other and have a good time, like all group of friends should. I was trying to help one of those friends find a "first" gun by posting new ideas and offering help. I posted a gun and his reply happened to be "I love how I don't care, and yet you think I do." Having not talked to him in person, I thought he was being serious because the group is a supposed to be a serious team. I then proceeded to question him why he was apart of the team if he didn't care. I was told that he just didn't like the gun, but instead of just putting "I don't like it," or "I don't think it's for me," he puts that he doesn't care.

Now after this, a few of the other guys jump on and say that I am overreacting because it was "obvious" that he being sarcastic.

All in all, it ended with a few of the team sad, a few not caring, and me without a team and one friend less.

I would really like opinions here. Did I go to far? Or was I right and that the team is supposed to be serious at times and fun at other times
Views 9377 Comments 25 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 25

Comments

1. Old
    Definitely did the right thing. I would be pissed with that smartass reaction to genuine help. That's what Koala, Dubbs, and I did with this old team we were on. Basically, they just wanted to shoot and play COD all day.

*Personal Story Ahead*

At a team practice, Koala, Dubbs and I were trying to establish some real team tactics and cohesion so we weren't a cluster*mess* on the field, but all they did was make perv jokes and complain about how "unnecessary" it was. In reality, these were the peope who hid at the spawn because they were too afraid to move up and Koala and I were frequently in over our heads because we weren't afraid to attack and we didn't have the firepower. Later that day, instead of continuing with the practice until 8 like I planned, they stopped at 6:30 and played Call of Duty and Rockband the whole night while drinking 2 liter upon 2 liter and snacking like a party. Next day, no one wanted to do anything, AT ALL. The team wasn't serious enough, so I left, along with Koala and Dubbs, to find some more serious players to play with. We got NOTHING done that night, which made me mad because Koala and Dubbs were actually there to learn, not screw around on Xbox.

I haven't regretted splitting from The Black Ops Airsofters, and I'm sure Koala and Dubbs haven't either. Last time I checked, that practice was the last thing BOA did as a team, and they are currently a dead team. I applaud you for doing what you needed to do, I can relate.
    Updated 11-12-2011 at 11:40 AM by Panda
  2. Old
    Don't worry, you did the right thing, I hope you find a good team that you can stick around with.
  3. Old
    This is actually quite common for beginning airsofters. You find out the guys you first started playing with had different reasons for wanting to play. Many fad players start off like this.

The important thing for you, as the serious player, is to get yourself to the large organized games and play. You may meet other like-minded individuals who want to form up a team or another team may ask you to join.

Sometimes you just outgrow the team you're on or priorities change, making the team you're on no longer fit your play style or goals.

Don't get overly depressed about this. This isn't as serious as you would think. There are quite a few members on the boards who have played on many different teams. Its all about finding the right fit.
    Updated 11-13-2011 at 08:03 AM by Texx
  4. Old
    As Texx said, players come and go. If we count all the retired Strikers, the team would have 46 operators right now
  5. Old
    I've been on four different teams over the years. I've finally settled into a team I really think will hold my same interests. It takes a while to find the right team sometimes.
  6. Old
    I wouldn't stress about it too much. Right now I'm sort of an independent contractor myself as well. I still run with my old team from time to time. I also like getting out and meeting new folks as well.

This will give you an opportunity to meet new people, run with other more serious players like yourself, and improve your skills. Airsoft is all about having fun, but also pursuing it the way you want. It's all good.
  7. Old
    like everyone else man, yes you did the right thing.
    leaving a team isn't a bad thing all the time, and dosn't have to be. If there is somthing you don't like and they won't change/can't change, it's best to just, Move on. Just don't burn your bridges ;-).
  8. Old
    I would be pissed too if I was trying to help someone and they gave me a smartass reaction like that.
  9. Old
    I'm always amazed at the amount of drama that crops up in this hobby (and yep, it's a hobby, not a 'sport.'). As Torque said, find the best way for you to get the most out of the hobby. You as a participant in the hobby put far too much time and money into it to NOT enjoy it.
  10. Old
    @panda
    Yay! I got mentioned!

But anyways, aftermath of his story. After that, we formed RAID, which is now more serious and we have practices that have actual game play and tactics. We are quikly gaining members and so far have done well at events.

So everyones happy, don't feel ashamed of leaving, its not like they invited you (if they did). Its your free will to join and your free will to leave.

But one question, is this YOUR team? Or is it something you joined?
  11. Old
    Thanks for the help and the advice. I plan on going to many events and meeting many new people.
  12. Old
    I am having similar problems. I am fairly new to airsoft (been at it for a year and a half) but i am the leader of my team, because i have the most experience. All of my team are high schoolers like myself, but most of them are immature and argumentative. I just want to play with mature airsofters who are willing to mentor newer guys! I really want to get on a team that could do that, because i am sick of all the crap i have to put up with on my team. Any ideas?
    Updated 11-15-2011 at 06:30 PM by SixEyes (typo)
  13. Old
    any ideas? just don't look so hard for a team. Just enjoy the sport, learn and watch and one day, a team will ask for you or you find guys wanting to share a team with you and voila.

It is like a girlfriend. The best one comes when you expect her the least
  14. Old
    Haha thanks Blade. That made a lot of sense to me. I am very excited to go to Operation: All Out and get to meet some of the older players.
  15. Old
    @Blade
    Its also like sandwiches, nagging at the bread doesn't always make a sandwich. It takes friendship with the sorry chick who has to make it for you.
  16. Old
    Vin, I have the same problem day to day. Just this last Springfield event I was talking to Red and made me realize something. Our team as 16 or so members...Only 2 came to the last event. Out of the 2 years I have been with them, the most we had at an event at one time was 9. It makes me really frustrated and sad to know we have a large force but none of them make the effort to go. Also when they do go; they are those people who stay back and don't push forward when they should. There are only a few of us on our team that actually operate as a real military team.

Granite I'am great friends with everyone on my team, but they just aggravate me with not making an effort. So as of now I'm trying to find new members; if that doesn't work then I will just need a new team.

What you did is the right thing, sometimes its hard to leave a team but if it doesn't fit you...well that's like staying with a girlfriend for stability reasons.(I've done that and boy did that end bad...) Do what is best for you in the end.
  17. Old
    That sounds EXACTLY like my team. We have a group of 10 people and we have never had all of them go.

I might also add, not everyone on the team even had a gun. The one guy I got mad at (and quit the team because of it) DIDN'T even have a gun. He was constantly borrowing others and he would usually lose or break something.

Just this past week, they had suggested to go to Operation All Out. We are ALL 18 and we could all make it to the event. About 6 of us said yes. When I quit, they all started falling out and it turns out I might be the only one (excluding my brother) from the team going.

I am very glad I turned my separate way and I am also very happy that I could get all this great advice from the wonderful people here on AO and see that I am not alone.
  18. Old
    Listen guys. Lets be realistic. Most team will usually get 50-75% of their members attending events. Now if you get 2 out of 10 guys attending. That is a bit bad. If you get 8 out of 10 but 5 don't even have their own stuff, that is bad as well. Strikers have 16 on the roster with an average of 6 attending and while I would prefer higher number, I know it won't happen even if I push on everyone's head. People have personal lives and good teams/teammates should expect that. So for me, reaching a average of 12 man per event, I would like to have 24 guys on the roster....as simple as that....and it is still only 50% of the whole roster.
  19. Old
    your story sounds exactly like what happened with my first team. all of them have now stopped playing entirely except for me and hicar. we just attended events, talk to people before while we were getting our gear together and tried to meet people. attaching ourselves to whatever squad was short handed on the green side where we ran normally and we eventually got picked up for a team by Sacrifice after meeting him at northern lights 2. don't just jump into finding a team and let one find you, its more fun and less stressful that way lol
    as for people showing up blade said it best
  20. Old
    Agreeing with the others..trust me, a team like that gets annoying fast..especially if you're leading it..But my team is pretty much a band of comedians..Yeah, things get serious when defeat is imminent, but we're all out there to have fun, right?