Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Blogs > Mavrick

Rate this Entry

Trouble in the Hills!

Posted 04-20-2010 at 10:16 PM by Mavrick
Last sunday i accompanied my family out to my uncle's 90th birthday. Knowing that it would be an elderly function i expected two things. Food and boredom. What i didnt expect were the events to follow...

Most of my family resides on the outskirts of portsmouth. East, west and north. In fact, there is a jewelry store in the family downtown portsmouth, Morgan Brother's Jewelry. Coincidentally, my step father's mother aquired a property on the western side of portsmouth on the border of Shawnee State Park. We've been using it for years as a great way to get away from the city lights and bask in the beauty of nature in the comfort of quiet, distant neighbors.

A few years ago there was a rash of theft where the "cabin" as we call it had been vandalized and broken in several times over the period of a year. Each subsequent breaking and entering resulted in more and more stolen. Eventually all that was left were cabinets, couches and beds. Then, as sudden as it happened, it stopped. There hadnt been any issues for nearly 2 years...until last sunday.

As it was on the way, we decided to check out the latest renditions, a work in progress, that my grandfather had started. It used to be a story and a half, the kind that resulted in a large vaulted cieling for roughly half of the second floor. Personally, i was always fond of this style of design. He's currently in the process of removing the second floor and extending the primary floor to accomodate the two bedrooms that were upstairs. As we drove up the long drive to the house we noticed the security gate opened and missing the pole used to lock the gate. Thinking nothing of it and assuming that during construction the pole was excavated we went on down the road.

After leaving the family reunion it was bothering my dad that the gate had been left open. We decided to once again revisit the cabin to scope the premises as well as spend a few minutes exploring and looking over the current construction. Currently there are two entrances. The primary entrance is enclosed by a screen porch. The secondary entrance is on the opposite side of the port located under a large covered deck. I went to the primary entrance while my dad went to the second entrance.

The one thing i hate most about my height is my ability to locate all spiderwebs. A house rarely visited is not without its collection of spiderwebs. After taking out my emotions on the woodpile inside the screened porch, i reached for the door knob expecting a secure door. As i grabbed the knob i found the door opening under the force most of us would use to turn the knob. Here the door stood partially open before me. I could see an ashtray on the floor and a few trashbags a few feet behind it. What do i do? Is there anyone inside?

It was at this moment of contemplation that i heard noise inside. Perhaps it was the wind, i thought. Standing there i played it through my head. Wind, i thought, yes wind coming from the screened porch traveling through the house to rattle something on the opposite side of the house. I felt like slapping myself. My second thought was maybe a squirrel found its way inside. As i stood their thinking, i heard the noise again. Perhaps my dad found the same thing i did, an unlocked door. We stumbled upon a successful robbery and he's walked into the house from the other door. I did what any normal person would do and i stepped over the door sill still with the door only partially opened and called out to him. "Dad, is that you?". I heard a noise again; I didnt hear the response i expected.

It took only a second for my flight response to kick in. As i rushed out the screen door i looked for something resembling a bat or something destructive for use. "Mom, i need something like a club!" i yelled as i ran down the stone steps. She rushed to her van to grab her tire iron. In the time it took to reach the bottom of the stairs and back up i stopped. Am i really going to play a hero, walk into an unseen environment with the tire iron to serve as my only defense/offence? I stopped and rushed back down the steps. At this point i was joined by my dad.

"Someone's broken in. The porch door has been kicked in. I asked him why he didnt respond to my calls. His look of confusion was the proof i needed to confirm my suspicions that there was someone still in the house. "Get in the van, we're out of here" he proclaimed. Rushing with emotions we found ourself backing down the road expecting to see someone run from the vacant vandalized weekend retreat. Once we reached the end of the drive, there still was no activity from the house.

Knowing we needed to call someone, we found ourself contemplating our next step. We would have to drive a good 20 minutes before finding cellphone service. We decided to stop at the nearest neighbor's house a half mile away and ask for use of their phone. If it helps paint a picture of the area we've grown to love, the neighbor did not have a phone. Back on the road i remember my mom asking why we werent going back to find who was inside. My dad, defending his actions, did not wish to find ourselves in a harmful situation which could have easily been the case. 50 minutes later we found ourselves with enough coverage to make the call to the adam's county sheriff. We agreed to wait for the sheriff at the end of the driveway. When the sheriff arived he looked us over suspiciously and asked that we stay where we were as he walked up towards the house, now with a menacing appeal.

As he walked up the hill my dad turned to me and said "How much time do we give him?" "Isnt this the point in movies where we hear gunshots and see a fatally injured sheriff stumble down the driveway" His jokes helped lighten the mood. Personally, i was filled anticipation hoping the sheriff would drag a junkie from the house and the day would be saved. As he was inside, a second sheriff pulled up further blocking our escape should the situation evolve into a horror scene often found in horribly written movies. We stood with him joking about the situation and how it had a moviesque feel to it. As we finished our jokes the sheriff came back down the hill and informed us that we could pull up the driveway to the house.

As we all walked into the house i noticed that the trashbags were no longer there. After explaining the noises i heard and the trashbags to the sheriff we concluded that who was there must have fled during the time it took us to call for help. A few minutes later my grandpa made his way to the scene. We talked about who we heard inside. "Almost got him" my grandpa said with frustration. My dad and i could feel he was dissapointed with our decision to leave and call for help. Now my grandpa is the typical countryman. Meaning, he's got quite the arsenal collection and has no problems taking the law into his own hands knowing that these thefts would not end.

We went over the things that were missing and offered our assistance to close up the cabin. During our exploration my brother and i noticed splatters on the floor. They were dark and looked like spilled stain on an already stained floor. At the time we assumed that they had always existed and must have been a spill during the staining process.

Not satisfied with our hypothesis a few minutes later i grabbed a paper towel with the intent to determine if it was a stain or easily removable. Not suprising, the splatters did easly lift with a little help via water. The sheriff had his suspicions that they might be blood as near the stains the pictures that once hung on the wall were no on the floor, their frames broken. He took his samples and the action wound down.

Not too long after, we closed up the house, said our goodbyes, and on our way back home.

After a short silence my dad said "Did you see his face? You and I should have went inside and restrained the guy. Charlie (my grandpa) really looked dissapointed because we had a chance to do something rather than fleeing the scene. Thinking about it then, i too really thought the right thing to do was to blast into the house seeking justice. "Dad, doing that would have gone against everything you'd ever taught me. Always to think before acting and do the smart thing. What if that guy was sitting in the corner with a gun just waiting for us to walk into view?" We've all seen whether in person or in video what a cornered person can do.

Thinking about it now, i know we did the right thing. It wasnt long ago that i read a similar situation which resulted in the wife fighting off intruders with an airsoft gun. At the time i remember myself thinking i too would do what it took to get the intruders out of my house. Having an open mind i also remember thinking that just because its what i'd like to do doesnt mean that in a situation of panic its actually what i'd do. In the end, leaving was the only 100% safe thing to do.

We did the smart thing. I hope that if anyone who reads this finds themselves in similar situation in the future that they'd do the smart thing too.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 6118 Comments 19 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 19

Comments

1. Old
    I'd equip my heartbeat sensor and FMJ on my F2000 (I'm running Bling Pro) and find his heartbeat blip and use the FMJ to shoot through the walls and get him. One more closer to extended mags!
    Posted 04-20-2010 at 10:38 PM by Son of Liberty Son of Liberty is offline
  2. Old
    But.... what if he had Ninja Pro? O.o

In all seriousness, there is always the thinking: hey, I know room clearing techniques from airsoft games that would be perfect in this situation. But like you said, there could have been a guy in the corner just sitting there with a shotgun. It only takes one mistake.

Luckily the blood samples will be taken to the set of CSI:Miami, analyzed, and before long the perp will be sitting behind bars.
  3. Old
    You're brain is you're greatest weapon.
  4. Old
    Mav Next time i knwo it blows but request and demand an evidence tech ( not saying the locals dunno what there doing) but an evidence tech can do so much more for ya bout the blood thing, tis how they caught the kid that broken into my place and stole one of my glocks.

Agian i would never advocate violence on any level but sometimes ...just sometimes theres a point where you see loved ones, lives ..taken by force, Mav you al ldid the right thing unless your absolutely 100 percent sure youve got the upper hand ...its always best to let em have what ever there going to take, rely on The cops and techs to tag and bad said duchebag, well Done Mav
  5. Old
    Matt says - I'd equip my heartbeat sensor and FMJ on my F2000 (I'm running Bling Pro) and find his heartbeat blip and use the FMJ to shoot through the walls and get him. One more closer to extended mags!

Except you just change a few details to relate to real life choices and it becomes -

I'd have relied on my personal training in advanced pistol and defense courses and drew my CCW pistol. Working carefully from room to room I would have attempted to find and secure the threat as quickly as possible. One more closer to being a well protected civlian

But each of us is different and has different values. You fled because you value your personal safety and the safety of your family over the possibility of MAYBE ending the threat of robberies. It's the safe choice for sure. I applaud you, I would not have chosen that.
  6. Old
    Mav-

You did the right thing. No need to put yourself in harms way over some material items. Good story.
  7. Old
    Well, considering this is near Portsmouth, I'd say chances are pretty damn good that whoever was inside had a gun. I think you did the right thing too, even if it wasn't what I would have done. It's always a better idea to be cautious rather than get yourself shot by some pillhead.
    Updated 04-21-2010 at 03:13 PM by Lunchbox
  8. Old
    Mav, you did the BEST thing you could have done. There could have been a hidden accomplice, they could have been doped up, etc. You just never know.

LOL, I think it's funny the insinuation about being all Samuel L. J. badass and confronting the guy(s). Nice saber rattling. It doesn't matter how uber L33T you think you are, that's a really great way to get yourself killed.

The only time you would actually need to confront an intruder is if you are already in the house before he broke in, and he stands between your family and the door....
    Updated 04-21-2010 at 03:01 PM by Torque
  9. Old
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scorpion
    You fled because you value your personal safety and the safety of your family over the possibility of MAYBE ending the threat of robberies.
    Another thing to consider is that could have ended up with someone dying, be it the theif or the homeowner. Even if the thief was killed, the homeowner just killed a person, and that has implications too.

Taking a man's life can be easy. What's harder is living with it.
    Updated 04-22-2010 at 06:00 AM by Zero
  10. Old
    Thank you to the castle law, Ohio would be on the homeowner's side.

In the situation, I have to say you did the right thing to get out. We aren't trained soldiers in weapons and hand to hand combat. While being protected is nice and I believe in CCW, in this situation, you were not. You can buy a new tv, you can't buy a new Mavrick or Dad.
  11. Old
    You did the right thing, He was in the room and not only would he have the drop on you he for sure knew you were coming. That scuffle may have been him standing up and getting against the wall or picking up a weapon from a desk or the floor. Your Grandfather being displeased is better than him missing a grandson he will get over it and relize you did what you had to. to not only protect yourself but your father mother and maybe the crook or crooks themselves.

Not to mention its Ohio and lots of people have shotguns

Tire Irons hurt.

I having an anger problem may have gotten myself shot.

And i think this may help me think twice next time i want to be a "hero"
    Updated 04-21-2010 at 04:18 PM by Ghost-Walls
  12. Old
    I hate thieves.
    In my area every other person is a thief ( and more than half of my "family"). They get caught at least once a month but nothing is ever done about it. Every one who has been victimized by their crimes has vowed to shoot the next one. When the deputy finally shows up(usually 4 hrs later) he takes a report and leaves. That is one reason I don't call the police or sheriff.

My cousin was found pasted out in a stolen car. When she woke up she knocked out the witness and ran leaving her purse with her ID inside the car. = No arrest
  13. Old
    Quote:
    Your brain is your greatest weapon.
    THIS.

Self defense and aggression is always the last option. Material stuff can be replaced. You can't.

Unless you had your own hand forced, and actually had something IN your hand at the time, I would say that what you did was the smart, safe, and best thing to do.
    Updated 04-22-2010 at 02:17 PM by NegSpace
  14. Old
    Mav - the text i sent you says it all.
  15. Old
    I disagree with all of you. Mav should have taken a SamurAi sword and been all like "so you have dishonored my home with your act of treachery." And then he'd all be like "hee-yaaa" "chang-chang" and then would be like all "you fight well, but you will fall to my hands" - "chang chang." ANd then you'd be all like, "you cannot win, for I have already defeated you" - "chang chang."

And you'd be all like Kill Bill and pluck out his eyeball and he'd be like "oww, my frickin' eye." And then you would cut off his sword hand. "OWWW, my hand, its useless to me now."

And then you'd be all, "you have fought well, but your treachery and dishonor does not a deserve a worthy death at my hand." And you would open the door and a pack of wild dogs would come in - not really wild, but trained to kill and like VERY hungry. And you would nod toward him and say "tear him apart."

And a smile would spread across your face as you watched the intruder dying at the mouths of like 5-6 hungry savage dogs. And as he lay there dying, his last thought would be of being reduced to a warm pile of dog feces in a few hours.

Yup, that's what you should have done.
  16. Old
    Mav, you did one of the safest things you can do. Being a native of Portsmouth I can tell you that the person inside that cabin most likely was a druggie and most likely armed with some type of weapon. I've been amazed and disgusted at what some people around this area will do for money, I hope they find the people who did this. let me know if there is anything I can do to help.
  17. Old
    Those of you who say that you'd bust in and apprehend the perp, you're forgetting the 2 most important facts.

The castle law protects women and children better as its virtually impossible for a woman to receive legal reprocussions as we're still a social era where girls are considered lesser individuals than males. Had we had weapons and did harm someone males still have to prove we were in danger. We're protected as long as we can prove that we in fact were in danger. In this case, us rushing into the house was not unavoidable danger. The sheriff did tell us this when we discussed the idea of us taking action.

The other fact is the most important of all. The house did not belong to my family. It belongs to my grandma. This means we had no legal right to act since we were not the home owner and were outside instead of inside at the time of the incident.
  18. Old
    Atch. Thought I'd commented already--

Mav, I'm glad you're okay.

I think I might have to agree with Texx on this one, though. The samurai sword option would have gained you more Man Points.
  19. Old
    I'd call in the BAM team. Big *** Mother****ers. Go Rambo on that **** next time. Or nuke the ****in house.
    Posted 04-28-2010 at 10:20 PM by Son of Liberty Son of Liberty is offline