Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Blogs > Spetsnaz

Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

What's with the dog on your gun?

Posted 07-24-2011 at 11:15 PM by Spetsnaz
"What's with the dog on your gun?" Is probably the most common question asked of me on the field other than "WTF Camo are you wearing" followed shortly by "Are those slimjims in your vest?!"

A LOT of people noticed my little picture inside of my stock on my SVD at Night Archer 5. I got asked that question several...several times. Some people got it, but a shocking number of people did not get it.

So, I'll give all of you a free history lesson for the day.

The dog on my SVD is not a dog I once owned as some people thought, and it does have a purpose being there. Some people name their rifles, a common tradition through the ages. For me, a firearm or firearm replica has to earn it's name. My Real Sword SVD has done more than enough to earn a name, and it finally did over the summer.

The dog on my rifle is who the rifle is named after, Laika, the space dog.

Laika was a Russian space dog who was sent on a suicide mission to be the first living animal in orbit. She was never intended to come home. Laika ended up, sadly, dying a slow death of exhaustion, heat, and stress. Sputnik 2 remained in orbit for quite some time with Laika's body still inside. Sputnik 2 burnt up in the atmosphere, Laika's body was never recovered.

She was never sent up to be brought back, the plan was to kill her with poisoned food when they were done with her.

Laika rose up from being a simple stray to becoming a national hero in Russia. A statue was placed for her in 2008. Later, a senior scientist of the project regretted sending the dog out to die.

NASA even honored this little dog's life by naming a certain soil on Mars under her name.

There are a few reasons why I decided to name my SVD after a space dog. For one, I had serious doubts against the SVD upon purchasing it. Unsure if it was worth the cash I dumped on it. Much like the scientists likely felt about a random stray on the streets of Moscow. However, my rifle lived up beyond what I expected, much like Laika. Although...I hope my rifle does not share the same fate...

I have always been a fan of man's best friend. I have grown up around dogs. Dogs are the most loyal animal and companion to human beings in existence. They unconditionally back you up, and would gladly march into the depths of hell with you. My dogs have always been my absolute best friend.

Although, none of my dogs in the past had Russian names and I did not wish to name my rifle after any of my past or present pets. I decided that the Russian Space Dogs would be the best fit.

Laika was the first. My SVD was the first to get it's name. There for, the two fit perfectly.

The RPK is getting a name also. I have decided with the next two in space. My RPK will soon be named "Belka." and, my eventual purchase sometime - I hope, of a Real Sword Type-56, will end up being named "Strelka."

Strelka will likely be a companion to Laika, a perfect secondary for the SVD for when people get too close.

Belka and Strelka went to space together, and survived. In fact, one of Strelka's puppies was presented to JFK's daughter, Caroline, by Nikita Khrushchev.

So, now you see the link. The Soviet Space Program involving the use of canines is very interesting, and I do suggest further reading on it. Other dogs were sent in space as well, however, other than Laika, two other fatalities occurred during the program.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 7465 Comments 6 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 6

Comments

1. Old
    That is probably the best story for naming a weapon/replica. I am actually jelous I didn't think of it first.
    Nice blog spetsnaz. I am a dog lover too and I have to say my dogs would also have to be my best friends ( at least I can reley on them hahaha).
  2. Old
    Love it, great way to personalize and enrich the airsoft experience! Thanks for sharing this.
  3. Old
    I agree with Teddy Bear, best reason I have read for naming a weapon/replica ^_^

Also who wouldn't name something as beautiful as an SVD
  4. Old
    Cool story bro.

No, really, that is pretty cool.
  5. Old
    Best story bro.
  6. Old
    really good story people ask me if those are slim jims in my vest too