Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Blogs > WhiteRook

Rate this Entry

Why do I like to shoot at people with 6mm bbs?

Posted 07-27-2010 at 10:17 AM by WhiteRook
Why do I like to shoot at people with 6mm bbs?

I have started writing this blog several times and each time deleting it because it was a bunch of pooh. But the answer came to me at Red Dragon this weekend. For me, Red Dragon has always been a Zen type experience and this weekend was no exception.

The realization I came to is that I like shooting 6mm bbs at people is because they can shoot back. Simple, so simple.

In all my other pursuits; hunting, target shooting, reenacting – the opportunity for my target to shoot back has not been a factor. The real thrill comes not when I get someone in my sights; it is when I am in their sights and I know it. The bb that hits me from behind or some other point that I can’t observe holds no exhilaration for me. It is usually just dumb luck, never done with any forethought or tactical planning.

It is just something about being a better, faster marksman than the other guy that holds a lot of enjoyment for me.

On the flip side of this is that I also discovered that I like the role of Sniper or DMR. During one of the attack-defend scenarios, I was in the tower. I took great enjoyment out of pinning down several attackers at the “Kroger” building. I had two pinned down, one on each end of the building. As soon as I saw movement, I’d let them know I knew where they were and where they wanted to go because I laid out a path of bbs.

But of course, the life of a sniper can be short lived if displacement is not part of the plan. Those guys at Kroger’s quickly called on their battle buddies and filled my small window full of plastic … ending my time as a sniper – for that game anyway.

So, what am I doing in between events? Fine tuning my guns to optimize range and rate of fire to insure I’m a better marksman than you because that is where the fun is!
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 8145 Comments 15 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 15

Comments

1. Old
    There is that "thrill" or challenge of hunting people that makes this a fun sport. It goes both ways too. Rolling into a ambush = fail but knowing the **** is about to hit the fan gets the blood pumping.

I've yet to find my favorite role in airsoft. The first guy through the door or the guy on overwatch? As of now I'm back to a DMR role. A TM M14 converted to a MK14 and my trusty Moosecock (TM MEU).
  2. Old
    Like said in "The Greatest Game," animals can't comprehend like a human. A human can think and have reason. It's a better thrill when your target can fire back, makes you think. This was weirdly poetic...
  3. Old
    White Rook, and Urban Marine, you guys can count on me to hold security for you guys when you are in DM mode anytime of the day.
  4. Old
    Rook. Light Machine Gunner baby, MY true calling. Fight with the best, slaughter the rest.
    Outa try it,
    I have simple tactics, Devastating Results
  5. Old
    I love being that first guy through the door. The 50/50 coin toss of either getting lit the f**k up or blasting that first tango that drops into your sights. It's why I carry a Stubby M4. I love up close and personal. Now if only more games allowed knife kills the rubber knife I have wouldn't be just for decoration.
  6. Old
    Who was it that said "there is nothing more satisfying than to be shot at and missed."
  7. Old
    For us older guys, this is a way to get the blood pumping. I have even gone through periods of time where the "Fog" of war has taken over. I use this as a stress tool, as a way to exercise, and for fun.

I am still working on my role, but if you ask Red, I am first and foremost a shooter. His checks can prove it!
  8. Old
    On the open field I like my DMR's, but throw a cqb element in there were fighting takes place with in 25 ft or so, me a small cqb m4 stubbinstien and a pistol are a scary sight to run into.
  9. Old
    @Warcat. It was F J Raymond and he was actually refering to getting an income tax refund.

“Next to being shot at and missed, nothing is really quite as satisfying as an income tax refund.”
  10. Old
    I like the 6mm part because, well, if I use the 5.56 mm... then other people shoot back and it hurts a lot more.
    Updated 08-05-2010 at 11:22 AM by stagg
  11. Old
    If you did your job right with 5.56, no one should be shooting back :P
  12. Old
    I think the most satisfying part of airsoft is knowing that you and your team outfoxed the other side, that or getting the jump on someone in a firefight after a heated engagement and knowing you came out on top...I don't know what role I am...I like to be in the thick of it but I like slower ROF and really accurate guns, thats why I have the barrel extention and 6.01mm tightbore
  13. Old
    I do it because it's cheaper then getting a therapist.

Well not really.

But I get to shoot people and drink lots, so that's a plus.
  14. Old
    support gunners for the win!
  15. Old
    Hmmmmm... Id have to say that I like airsoft the most because while im in the game there isnt a thing on this earth im thinking, or worrying about other than how Im gona trick you into thinking im still behind the bush and not about to bang kill you from behind...lol