Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Blogs > Pappy

Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

My first year in Airsoft (learn from my mistakes)

Posted 02-11-2010 at 01:08 PM by Pappy
About a year ago I was attempting to clear my then 8 year old son's bedroom with a Nerf bolt action, magazine fed dart gun with serious jamming issues. After quickly ending my assault with a barrage of darts fired from a battery powered, full auto, belt fed, tripod mounted, 3 rps, plastic death machine he had tactically placed at the edge of the bed, giving him excellent cover, my son asked (with a giggle): "Dad, can I get an airsoft gun?"

Now I had confiscated plenty of plastic spring pistols that were brandished as real steel for robberies and making threats in 15 years of L.E...... but that was pretty much the extent of my airsoft experience at the time. So after Googling "airsoft gun" and watching some Milisim Op videos on YouTube after an hour or so, I broke the bad news to my son: "You're too young right now to play airsoft........... but I'm not!"

Here comes mistake #1: Being cheap. There is nothing wrong with being frugal and only spending what you can afford. But there is something wrong with being impatient and buying junk when you can get something of higher quality if you wait and save the necessary funds. I always go with quality in my profession and other hobby purchases, but I still was thinking of an airsoft gun as a "toy." My first gun was a Double Eagle M4, not the $30.00 dollar store all plastic junk you see out there, but the $90.00 V2 metal gear box junk you can only find on Amazon.com. The purchase does have a bright side however, I learned how to take apart, shim, and put back together a V2 gearbox without sacrificing a quality gun.

To be continued with lesson #2
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 6375 Comments 10 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 10

Comments

1. Old
    I love the first paragraph! It was like Raiders of the Lost Ark ... it grabbed my attention right away.

You should have been a writer ... oh, being the LE I guess you do get your share of paperwork
  2. Old
    Can't wait for the next part. I just love to hear how people got into airsoft.
    EDIT* Oh, and did you actually say that to your son? That sounds a bit mean for an 8 year old...
  3. Old
    lol way to go bp!! We all made that mistake. Think of it as club dues.
  4. Old
    Awsome blog! I agree with Whiterook you should be a writer
  5. Old
    This indeed is an excellent example of a good blog. Can't wait to read more!
  6. Old
    Well those tuned Marui and Classic Army M4's are pretty nice... I mean if you ever want to head down to Frugalville, give me a call, I would be glad to take them off of your hands! LOL.
  7. Old
    I bought my first gun for $90. It is still the best gun I own. Of course I have allot of money in it now.
  8. Old
    Hilljacked, So are you saying your 90$ gun is now a $450.00 gun?. that is some frugality for you there
  9. Old
    I remeber when i used to think airsoft was those wal-mart guns and some .12 bb's, good times
  10. Old
    ah yes.. airsoft, i agree with gonzobonzo? probably a yeah ago, i thought the same thing, but over time i found out that... well i was wrong.. and im glade that i was! i use to think that Dicks sporting goods duns were the best, then soon i started randomly watching airsoft wars on youtube, this gave me hope! then maybe close to the end of last summer i started doing a lot of research and well. im on my way up! but i do agree with whiterook you should be a writer! good job and cant wait till #2!