Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Blogs > jonahm740

Rate this Entry

Operation Safe Streets (working title)

Posted 03-04-2013 at 12:04 PM by jonahm740
So as I was driving to a client's home for a session last week and blasting pusicfer at irresponsibly loud levels I began to think about what I do as an event host and the stage that I am blessed to have as far as reaching an audience of players and all around awesome people and I got to thinking....what's the use of having a stage if you don't do good with it.

I started thinking of Op: Hope and Tyler and his mother. I started thinking of how an act of giving back to someone changed my life. As I was jamming out an idea struck me, one that I wanted to talk to the community about and get your input on.

I work in an area that has been ravaged by substance abuse and for those who don't know that is what I do as a profession, a substance abuse counselor. I see the youth of my county struggle with things to do and finding ways to pass the time that don't involve getting blitzed and stealing copper. I am linked in to a lot of community organizations locally and I want to reach out to the Sherrif's department and local high schools as well as local and other Ohio fields to help encourage at risk youth to get into a game that helps kids find a sober alternative to spend their weekends and learn some camaraderie and leadership.

What are your thoughts? Comments? Opinions? I'm interested in hearing them.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 2888 Comments 16 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 16

Comments

1. Old
    Yes to these things.
  2. Old
    I concur, great idea.
  3. Old
    i have family in the Sheriffs Dept if you need help with this let me know and i can see they will help out.
  4. Old
    Awesome preacher thanks!
  5. Old
    This sounds awesome.
  6. Old
    Hey brother, im trying to do the same exact thing in stark county as well. I commend you greatly sir on what you want to accomplish. If you would like to talk further about things, possibly bounce some ideas back and forth shoot me a pm, I'd love to talk and hear more of what you had in mind.
  7. Old
    I'd love to help out with an event like this.
  8. Old
    Would love to help
  9. Old
    Sounds like an amazing idea Jonah, if you need any advice or expertise that's within my lane - I'd be happy to help.
  10. Old
    sounds like a great idea. i would definitely try to go to an event to support this.
    Posted 03-15-2013 at 08:21 PM by airsoft junkie airsoft junkie is offline
  11. Old
    Sounds like you have the right idea I've worked with a lot of kids that come from the same background that would love something like we do. Just to feel accepted by a bunch of older guys teaching them how to live. One conversation we have with them could drastically change their lives for the better.
  12. Old
    Some weekly or bimonthly airsoft games could change some of these kids' lives. Make sure you stress the camaraderie and leadership part, rather than the part that will come off to them as "dress up and play time for grown men."
    I think a lot of objective games would be the thing to do here...
  13. Old
    Operation Hope was my very first airsoft event and when ever I tell people about it they can never believe that a group of airsofters were able to do so much. I think this is an amazing idea.
  14. Old
    Jonah........
    Great Idea and i think it would work lets face it most kids (and I say kids because i have children older than most of them) crave structure and guidance something that is sometimes missing in their lives........I would volunteer to help if you get something like this going.........i coached baseball alot of years and had my fair share of (at risk youth)..........fill there minds with creative hobbies and they won't stray (in theory)........
  15. Old
    Thank you for being so involved in your community, I have watched my hometown spirel into nothing but drugs, violence, and thefts. The youth in my town have no outlet no programs to reach out to them before it's to late. It's people like you, the ones who truly care that make the biggest impact.
  16. Old
    I think this is a great idea. My hometown has fallen to drugs in recent years. I am willing to help you in any way possible. I could try local buisness's to help in donations, or something setup to help get this rolling.

Just let me know what I can do to help.