Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Blogs > MGD

Rating: 59 votes, 5.00 average.

Emerson vs GoPro

Posted 11-24-2012 at 03:27 PM by MGD
Today I was at Menards and found an HD Action Cam by Emerson. It was in beautiful packaging and was only $40!! I decided I had to try it and bought it. I have been looking for a cheapish action cam for some up coming Web Series Im working on creating so I figured why not.

Opening the box wasnt half bad. It by no means felt like the cheapest stuff box that we all spend 20min opening and cutting everything with a butchers knife because we cant get it open.

Right out of the box the camera gave a great impression. The water proof case looked nice, the directions were clear and it all looked good. The camera does 720p HD video, has a water proof case, a helmet and bike bar mount. They also give you an 8 gig Micro SD card which is nice. Then there is the biggest thing; unlike GoPro were you need to go buy a screen to attach to the cam this comes with one built in! Its by no mean a high res or a nice screen but it does what you need it to; see where you are aiming it.

So the fit and feel of this camera. Well its a $40 action cam from Emerson vs a $200-$400 GoPro Hero 2 from well GoPro. So as you would imagine it should be crap... Well it is. The camera its self weighs less the a quarter. No not a quarter pound I mean the coin! Is it reallt probably not but it seems this way. The plastic used for the case is worse than that of a cheap lotion bottle. The buttons should kill them selves now. I pressed on of the buttons for the first time and it jammed inside the case. The mounts are terrible. Sure they may mount to what they say alright but there was no thought in usability and angles. So how does the GoPro compare? Well it is also made of plastic and small buttons but its well thought out and of a high quality plastic. The mounts are versatile and insanely usable.

So the video quality test. Both cameras where set to use 720p and 30 frames per second only because thats the best the Emerson can do. And finally the comparison video was only uploaded at 360p. Why? Simple most people dont do full screen or watch in HD and normally watch at 360p which is the YouTube default resolution for videos to first try and load in. So here is the link http://youtu.be/FrufF0gzFsg

Final thought: For $40 it looks like they spent all the money on the waterproof case and the box. The GoPro in every way' including value for money, beats this Emerson HD Action Cam to death hands down. The only time I would ever recommend this camera is if you need an action cam that has a insanely high probability of being killed beyond repair (say attaching it to a rocket or a truck about to collide with a concrete wall) or because you have so little money that your airsoft kit only has plastic springers.
Views 57011 Comments 4 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 4

Comments

1. Old
    If any one would like it I uploaded a 720p HD vid for you to watch
    http://youtu.be/loItSJpLYB0
  2. Old
    Thanks for the review! I was looking at these the other day and glad I saw this before I bought one. I really want a camera, but I can't justify the $200+ for one of the GoPros. To tell the truth, I really wouldn't spend more than $100 for a camera. It just isn't top priority and will I even watch it afterward? Probably not.

Thanks for the review and saving me money!
  3. Old
    Vin, Amazon has Contours for $100-$150. Check them out.
  4. Old
    Ya Vin, Amazon has the Contour HD 1080p waterproof ROAM action cam on sale for $120. It's normally $250 - $300. It comes with several different types of mounts so u can mount it on seriously anything.

If u want to see and in-depth review of this gun, Tim, Bob, and CJ from ASGI review it here:
    http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_inf...ducts_id=11466
    Both videos at the bottom of this page give a lot of info so I suggest u watch both.

To buy this same camera for a cheaper price, here's a link to Amazon where u can buy it for $120.
    http://www.amazon.com/Contour-Waterp...contour+camera

Hopefully that helps. I prefer Contour over GoPro and definitely Emerson.