Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Blogs > BioStare's Blog

Just a place to put my thoughts, as any other blog out there. Please no hating...it's my blog, my thoughts, my reasons. No one is forcing you to read it. Anyway, please enjoy!
Rating: 15 votes, 4.80 average.

Teens and Airsoft

Posted 11-12-2012 at 06:24 PM by BioStare
Updated 11-20-2012 at 04:15 PM by BioStare
Teens and Airsoft. Itís a love-hate relationship. Some people think airsoft should be reserved for 18+, while others like it just the way it is. Yet, here we still are. Weíre still teens and weíre still airsofting. Ever since the start of airsoft, there always has been and there always will be. Personally, I donít think there is any problem with it, if (quoting the words from the RAID team) "We arenít playing in backyards, we donít play in hunting camo, and we donít play with clear guns.Ē Now, trust me, I know that this is a topic that is talked about often, and is very highly debated. And no, I donít have any type of solution, besides simply trying to prove to you guys that we arenít here to ruin your sport. Weíre here to play it like you, take it as seriously as you, and have a good time with it. (At least I am.) Now, while the majority of us want to play milsim and take it seriously, there are always a few errors. There are the kind of teens that seem to be trying to get airsoft banned. (*cough*http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMEUe6sllEw*cough*)But, those arenít the people who play airsoft seriously. They are just rich kids who saw a gun that looked cool and bought it. End of story.

Another type of airsoft teen is the 1337sp34k kid. ďOMG! I so PWNED YOU n00b IM SO ****ING 1337!Ē the teen who plays airsoft like itís call of duty. BUT, the teens who take it seriously arenít here to do that. We donít type with texting lingo, and we arenít rude. I respect, and even look up to the ďveteranĒ players. Like I said before, weíre here to play it seriously and have a good time. So what if we donít exactly have a ton of money to spend on Systemas or Real 6094s? We play it like we should, with gear and guns and a positive attitude. Like Iíve heard many times before, ďMilsim is all about your attitude and the way you approach the game.Ē And we have a good attitude and approach it like we should.

One thing that holds us back obviously, is the inability to drive. Now, there are some teens who are in that 16-18 year old range who can drive (lucky ducks.)but most of the time, we do find a way to get there, whether it be through carpooling or getting driven by our parents. One thing I do wish however, is not to be frowned upon when I show up at an Op. I mean, yeah, Iím 5í 9Ē, and Iím skinnier than most of you guys, but just because Iím a teen doesnít mean you have to act like I canít do anything. I would rather be screamed an order at me than have to not do something because people thought I couldnít do it.
So, I just wanted to say that, to get it off of my chest. Sorry if it seems like Iím raging with no purpose to, I just wanted to say some things. I am not purposefully singling anyone out, and if it seems like I am, Iím sorry. I was just providing examples of things.

Anyway, Thanks for reading!
-BioStare
Views 9678 Comments 18 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 18

Comments

1. Old
    Hey, that's my quote!!

I would put in my input, but I'm on an iPod and that would be excruciating with what I have to say.
    Updated 11-21-2012 at 12:34 PM by Panda
  2. Old
    Very good blog! I'm a teen and i'm not an idiot, however i do suck at playing the sport.
    Posted 11-21-2012 at 05:17 PM by The Blind Sniper The Blind Sniper is offline
  3. Old
    Thanks alot, Blind Sniper.

And yeah Panda, I know what you mean. I hate typing on them new-fangled touch screen smart-phone device thingys.
  4. Old
    I agree. I haven't personally had a problem with the Veterans at Milsims. Most of them treat me like a well known member of the team. But I don't go out of my way to meet people either. However, I have gotten my ear chewed quite a few times about being "too serious" when it comes to training and my expectation from my team. However without that, they would end up like the CoDsofters described above. So I guess no matter what we do we'll be looked down upon, unless we're with the right group of people. Just my 2 cents.
  5. Old
    There are times where irresponsible people, not just teens, should not be allowed on the fields. Personally, I see more teens ignoring rules than adults, because they are too lazy to read the rules.

EXAMPLE:
    Recent event, "Red Dawn" at Riverbottom Assault in Wayne,OH....We had a 14 year old player show up with ONLY an L96 (1337) rifle shooting extremely hot. We had to turn the player around unless he had another under 400. His response was: "I didn't know that."

Guys, I think the majority of the reasons that older/veteran players dislike the younger ones is because of sheer laziness. There's more to it than just that, but "Ghost" is right. I hate to say that you guys will be looked down upon, but it's like being at the kid table at Christmas and Thanksgiving...You'll always be there your whole life.

Just act more mature than other 30 year old men...and you'll eventually get your respect. It took me 4 years to get even a glimpse of what respect is on the field. (Took down a technical by myself at BF8...) I still don't get any, but getting respect is not what the sport is about. It's about Honor, Integrity, and GIVING respect, but most of all, having fun!

Don't let other players ruin it for you. You are out there to play, and you are out there to have fun, so go have fun!
  6. Old
    There's some words I play by during airsoft:

"Don't act 14 and you'll be fine." - Son Of Liberty

Pretty much sums up how I feel on the topic. But I'm gonna go in depth anyways.

Teenagers are more likely to make rash choices, it is in the biology of development. Since our brains are still developing, we are more likely to make more impulsive choices than older folk, who are more likely to think things through. Along with this, many teenagers (unless you have a good income of some sort or blank checks from mommy and daddy) have limited money to use for airsoft, which affects the ability to buy as much or as good equipment as the older guys. Say what you want about how "cheap" airsoft is, but try to get field ready with 200 dollars and see how easy that is. That's enough for a JG M4, paintball mask, some bbs, and maybe BDU's. Don't lie, you'll look at this kid and think "well crap, he can't be that good/do that much." I see it happen all the time, even from people who then say they don't. Finally, teenagers don't always have the skill of older airsofters. Granted, I have had 30+ year olds ask me what to do, but I've also had some older people (not naming names because frankly I don't know them ) yell at me to do something in a rather irate or p*ssed off tone that I know he wouldn't have used if I was 10 years older. This tone not only puts me in a bit of a bad mood myself, but demonstrates the supposed superiority that automatically comes with age. Don't get me wrong, half the time the older guy has been around longer than I have, but I've been around long enough to know what I'm doing.

How can I, as a teenager, solve this? Well, biological disposition to rash decision making aside, attitude is everything. If I, as a teenager, act as professional and respectful as the other airsofters, then I have no reason to be looked down upon. What does this entail? Don't complain about what you're told to do, just do it and get it done. If you can get stuff done just like the old farts (if not better), then do it. I like to play on my team's advantages, those being speed and lightness, in battle. Instead of hitting head on and getting in a deadlock, we'll move fast from the flanks and keep the tempo high. So far, it's worked well. By actually getting stuff done, you prove to the older crowd that you are capable of doing what they can do, which will drastically change their opinion of you. The only thing you can ask of the older crowd is that they do their part and respect you for as much as you deserve.

Now here's my personal rant at the older people: I can do the same stuff as you all. I may not have the same years or dollars put into the game as you all, but I'm not daft. I can hold my own. I know when to push up and when to fall back and how to do my job (in my case, combat medic). Don't act pissed and condescending solely because I'm younger than you. I can't help that my mom is younger than your mom, but I sure as hell won't give you a reason to make me feel inferior. I respect CoC and my elders, but on the field each guy is as important as the other, thus deserves the same amount of respect until given a reason not to deserve it. This is regardless of age, experience, or gender. The enemy will shoot you both just the same, so it's up to the collection of players on the team to make sure this doesn't happen. This means putting aside discriminating due to age. If I'm doing something wrong or I'm needed to do something else, go ahead and yell at me that I'm doing it wrong or I need to hightail it somewhere else where they need me, but when I'm next to you on the front line, don't shout at me like I'm a 9 year old to move up. I know how this s**t works.

End of my novel.
    Updated 12-08-2012 at 03:43 PM by Panda
  7. Old
    Well spoken, indeed. Now do us old farts a favor and spread the word amongst the rest of the teens that there are no extra points for head shots at bang-bang range.
  8. Old
    Only problems I've had with the actual Veterans is complaining how I can be too serious and they were never that serious when they were deployed..other than that I haven't had many complaints. I get along well with older people and I maintain respect and integrity and they are fine with me fighting along side them. Just my .6 Ruble.
  9. Old
    I started as a back yard player, and believe me.....certain teens shouldnt play airsoft. I am 15 and I guess I am decent at airsoft, I have played at riverbottom and had no problems with the vets there. I think more then age, its maturity. if you cant be mature about being shot, or a field mistake, then you should sell your little clear spring gun and the hunter camo.
  10. Old
    Brilliant!! This is the kind of teen airsofter we need more of!!!
  11. Old
    18+ age limit. Jus' sayin'.
  12. Old
    You wouldn't have said that 4 years ago.
    Updated 12-08-2012 at 11:25 PM by Panda
  13. Old
    Age has nothing to do with it. After all, it's just a number. Where I think the problem starts is with how serious the player takes things. My Team of goofballs act like a bunch of idiots off the field, however, once we step into game, we change gears.

The issue I've seen is at the MILSIM games. COC is a major part of a MILSIM game ( or at least it should be ). I have seen far too many times, younger guys ( again not defined by a number ) just want to go and shoot people like its a COD video game. In MILSIM, Objectives win missions, missions win games. Plain and simple. I have a hard time keeping people in that mind set. Younger players have been the worst.

So, to sum it up, being a Teen at a game doesn't matter. It's how serious you take the game, the people you are working with, and how you play. Nothing else matters. Not even hunting camo and clear guns.

AWOL
  14. Old
    I'm only 16 but lucky most the fields and games i play at everyone treats you the same i have never had a big issue with being treated much different because of my age. I usually get something good out of it sense im faster and i can take more than the older guys like my ability to get on my stomach and low crawl to a downed team mate while giving orders for suppression fire to medic tap a guys arm. I also have no issues with being commanded even though i do see that the older guys will often test you before they decide on what your like, in that case just play even harder and and have fun. The last event i went i made a good few friends and Rygar if anyone has met him he is always welcoming fun and ready to play with no matter the age. I also have had people think im stupid because of my age though so they could use me as a distraction and what i do is do it but i look good doing it and surpass what they thought i could do.
  15. Old
    I'm 13 (Just old enough to go to some games) and I am only 4'11". Chances are, I will be the smallest on the team. That doesnt matter though, as I am a smaller target to hit and I am not a douche with my airsoft guns like that one video (that was a fake, but it still doesn't make a difference)
  16. Old
    I am aware that this is an older topic, but I agree with every word from BioStare and Panda. I am only 13, and only 4'8", shorter than everyone ever to have participated in a milsim (yes, even you Redrobin). This does give me a rather large disadvantage when it comes to respect, but that's not why I go to milsims. I go to hang out, practice strategy, and have fun.
    Granted, some of the fun is spoiled when some of the older players give me a "Good job, sport!" type of remark, and I know that as soon as I'm away from them, they're asking my teammates if I'm 10. I'm completely fine with this, because I'm mature enough to understand that I'm smaller than everyone else, and that this will happen.
    In the sport of airsoft (much like many other things), I believe that people shouldn't have any prejudices about age or size, and they should instead worry about the level of maturity. Heck, I know some 18 year-olds that shouldn't be granted to permission to play. I know I sound like I'm bragging about myself when I say that I'm more mature than most of my age group, but I believe this is true, as I don't run around the battlefield screaming "this is just like COD!" (not naming names)
    All I would like to get out of this is for the older players to treat us like they would someone their own age. No, I'm not asking for their respect, but just for them not to treat us like we're 3.

We may look like 5 year-olds, but we can surprise in terms of maturity.
    Updated 01-16-2013 at 03:16 PM by Cursor
  17. Old
    To me the big thing is maturity, i matured by the time i was 11, i get along better with adults than kids, kids piss me off, in my school the amount of pot u smoke and beer u drink makes u cool, let me remind u, im only 15! and its been going on since i was 13, freaking idiots i tell you.... the point im trying to make is if u cant follow common since, realize what wrong and whats not, and maybe just maybe a VET might no more than you, so STFU and listen... yeah sometimes i get bored a do CoD style where i just play for kills, but i make sure im away from the objective and make sure im not disrupting the game or hurting my teams, i know when to and when no to do stuff... just it bothers me when people dont realize that there not #1... idc how long uve been playing airsoft, everyone starts off a noob, respect is earned, not given, that goes for both noobs and vets... so back to the topic, once uve matured enough to understand u need to sometimes listen and other times take action then ur ready to play/
  18. Old
    Also a good leader can make anyone usefull