Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Blogs > IRONMAN

Rate this Entry

5 Reasons Why Being a Runner is Helpful in Airsoft

Posted 01-29-2012 at 02:53 PM by IRONMAN
Updated 02-09-2012 at 06:11 PM by IRONMAN
Yes, sounds kind of odd doesn't it? How exactly does running by yourself on a lonely country road with just a Nike dri-fit shirt, compression shorts, running shorts and Asics running shoes help you perform better in airsoft? Well, I'll explain to you...

1.Stimulates the Release of Brain Chemicals Such As Serotonin and Dopamine and Stimuates Endorphins
What this simply means is that running (or exercise in general..) calms you, lowers stress levels and can actually make you ENJOY the exercise itself. I'm sure we've all seen our fair share of blow hards in airsoft who go off about being hit too many times or are mad because their ego was damaged. Maybe if they a ran a couple miles before the event they wouldn't of been in such a bad mood. Airsoft is a game afterall...

2. Builds Leg Strength and Endurance
Have you ever had that feeling after running 200m across the field with your 30lb plate carrier, 4lb helmet and 20lb M249? Isn't easy, right? Being a runner help you by building leg strength (running up hills works great with this, as does lifting) and increases your body's tolerance to long and strenuous activity. Running with full gear in airsoft may not feel like running with just shorts and a t-shirt but it's good to have some sort of base.

3. Reduces Senses of Fatigue and Increases Stamina
This point has alot to do with number 2 and number 4. If you can run 10 miles in the middle of the summer on your own without passing out then you should be able to survive 2-4 hours of moderate exercise you get while airsofting. Water and a proper intake of electrolytes are an essential factor to achieving this though. Without water and the electrolyte nutrients (calcium, potassium, magnesium, sodium) you are pretty much done for. Your "mind over matter" mentality will count for nothing if your body isn't well supplied with what it needs. Trust me, I've been there and done that.

4. Increases Mental Strength
With proper nutrition and water intake your mental capacity to accomplish physical tasks is almost unlimited. Running to me is 20% physical and 80% mental. You can be the most fit person in the world but if you are a wuss when it comes to handling a little bit of pain when pushing youself then you won't perform very well at all. Running helps you build your mental strength when you realize your accomplishments. If you were able to run 3 miles without much problem then you won't be very hesistant to run 4 miles next time. Get where I'm going?

5. Improves Overall Health
This is by far the most important point. Cardiovascular disease is the number 1 killer disease in the United States. Being out of shape and overweight is the main contributer to this. Of course, there is the exception of people with genetically transfered heart conditions but their numbers are insignificant to the much broader obesity epidemic. Simply eating right and exercising (such as running..) can help reverse this. Is a simple change in your diet and 20 minutes of exercising a day too much or are you willing to make some changes? That is what I ask you.

My Credibilty So You Don't Think I'm Some
Wacko:

I've been an avid runner for the past 7 years, completed 3 marathons, educated by a former professional powerlifter and physical trainer for the past 8 years and I'm currently training for a full 140.6 mile Ironman triathlon.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 5886 Comments 33 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 33

Comments

1. Old
    F**k yeah. Runners represent!! (I run cross country for my school, and track's coming up)

Although I can't say I enjoy the running itself, I do like the benefits. I'm not as huge of a runner as you are (I haven't gotten past 5 continuous miles ), but it really does help. I started out only able to do a 1 1/2-2 miles, but by the end of the season I could run 5 miles and felt a lot better about myself. I did eat up a storm though...

As for benefits in airsoft that I can relate to: It makes you hella endurant. I never thought I could run as long as I do, and I surprise myself when we're running to an objective and I'm in front and keep running when everyone stops.

PERSONAL EXPERIENCE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-ulxN90Un0

In that video, although you can't see me because I am too far left, I was about 10-15 feet behind Link (That crazy dude with the AK who shoots up in the video ) up until we started to close in and I slowed down because I had no idea what I was doing (). It helped, a lot.

(not in the way that I died so quick because I sprinted up there, but because I sprinted up there so easily)

TL;DR run, it makes you a boss.

Edit: My tag is awesome.
    Updated 01-30-2012 at 07:18 PM by Panda
  2. Old
    An awesome tag indeed!
  3. Old
    I ran XC for two years in high school and track for 3 years (just my freshman year though, the other 2 in middle school. Marathon running consumed the next few years of my "track season"). I was only ONE second off from lettering when I got 18:01 at Worthington. Our school (Hoover High School) is very strict when it comes to lettering. I also played football too and my coach would tell me to stop running the day before games. And you know what the funny thing is? I was a lineman....
  4. Old
    Yay for runners!
  5. Old
    Exactly the same reasons for the weight standards in the USMC. Fat =/= capable. Running is an addiction. Adventure runs are the best.
  6. Old
    I used to be a fairly avid runner and athlete. Then I found computer games around 17 and it went downhill from there. I'm working on burning off that fat now.

But the funny thing is many people do not expect me to move as fast as I do. I may have gained some 'computer game fat' but I can still haul *** when I need to.

I wish I would have never let myself go the way I did, though. I really have no issue running around in the field but I know I would do so much better had I kept my fitness in check after high-school.
  7. Old
    I've never been 100% into running, but the more I do it, the more I like it. I run probably twice a week now within my gym routine. It's refreshing, makes me feel better.

Jack you're 100% right. I hate running because it's usually boring, but I love running when it's out of the ordinary. Trail running is awesome, and running in stride with others/formation/cadence looks like it'd be fun too.
  8. Old
    *High fives Panda* XC Represent! Love being able to outrun squadmates...at least in the fall
  9. Old
    Pshh. Swimming helps for all your SDV/water insertion airsoft games.

But really, any kind of exercise is going to be helpful in airsoft, in addition to real life...
  10. Old
    Swimming will build those lungs into death machines, plus running helps. Trust me, I trained for the 5K Mud Stash at Perfect North Slopes three weeks before Irene. I was in awesome shape for Irene, which SPEAR ended up running the field at least over ten times plus...
  11. Old
    I've been swimming for a while and I'm starting to get used to it. The most I've done non stop is one mile (so far..). The Ironman features a 2.4 mile swim so I have some way to go. I find it much more relaxing then running I must admit.
    Updated 01-31-2012 at 10:24 PM by IRONMAN
  12. Old
    I love biking too. I'm looking forward to Spring so I can start biking and training in Cuyahoga again (Towpath and Metropark trails).
  13. Old
    runners for the win!
  14. Old
    Berk, hate to tell you, but swimming isn't like running when it comes to distance, lol. There is no "swimmer's high", it only gets harder after each mile. Good luck though man, a 1650 is more than most people can do in increments. I'd say try and get your training up to about 5-6k yards a day before the event if you want your swim time to be competitive.
  15. Old
    My friends laugh at me for running every day thats until I rush them in a CQB game and kick their a** GO TRACK
    Posted 02-01-2012 at 03:28 PM by TaticalSasquatch TaticalSasquatch is offline
  16. Old
    Swimming is great.
    Updated 02-01-2012 at 08:05 PM by Swimmer
  17. Old
    Swimming feels good on my... nevermind.
  18. Old
    ya swimming is good for upper body which is also good for airsoft
    Posted 02-01-2012 at 09:16 PM by TaticalSasquatch TaticalSasquatch is offline
  19. Old
    Reason 6: Sexy abs. Women love sexy abs. And nice hair.
    Posted 02-02-2012 at 12:17 AM by Son of Liberty Son of Liberty is offline
  20. Old
    001: Thank you very much! I have a long way ahead of me but I'm ready for it.

SOL: Very true!! I can't believe I forgot about that one...