Airsoft in a new light

Posted 05-24-2011 at 08:39 PM by CombatPhotoK7
ďso this is passion and it crawls upon my skin
and it sinks into my bones and I am whole again
and I feel it filling me and I pray it will never end
now it burns within my veins
and I am writing in ecstasyĒ
Passion - All That Remains

Iím not a big blogger by any means, but AO is kind of a new outlet for me. After all, sometimes your thoughts need to be released before they disappear forever because every thought counts. Thankfully, Iím combining two of my passions, airsoft and photography, in one place. I need to push forward, however, so I can move on to a more professional level. Now, with that said, letís get onto the real meat of this blog.

Anybody who knows anything about airsoft knows it is currently in danger thanks to SB798 in California. This bill will ban the sale of all real-colored airsoft replicas and will require all of them to be a bright color (green, white, yellow, orange, pink, etc) or clear to distinguish them from their real-steel counterparts. Nobody who is serious about airsoft is for this bill. It is a business death note with absolutely no good about it. This all comes from some minor pulling out his airsoft Beretta handgun on an officer and being shot. Iím certain the media had a huge helping hand in this by making some bogus claim like ďKids all across the country are being shot because of these dangerous items!Ē I hate the media, I truly do.

So, with all this in mind, I want to get started on a photo project, and I really need the help of all AO to make this happen. With the current negative publicity aimed at airsoft in itís entirety, I want to help paint air soft in a better light, so to speak. Now, being a former player, and knowing everyone on here to be participants, we can all agree that air soft is truly not a dangerous sport whatsoever, as long as you abide by the boundaries and laws, and also obey a line of respect. Respect not only yourself and your team mates, but respect your weapon and treat it like it really is the real thing (although you have a fat chance of hitting your target from a half-mile away, no matter how good your aim and lack of crosswind), and please respect the law. Itís respect and honor that keeps our sport alive.

What is this photo project Iím thinking of? Well, the majority is collaborated group photos of airsoft teams in various cities (wherever it is okay to meet and possibly play) with local law enforcement units. Also, I would love to have the help of members of the United States Army/Navy/Marines/Coast Guard. I know some members on here are active, reserve, or veteran members of the armed services (We owe you more than the shirt on our backs, and itís because of you that I can take the photos I do, and that we can sleep at night with no fear and play air soft where we do.), and I would especially love your help beyond anything else. If you can round up your military unit, or even your CO for a photo opportunity, full airsoft teams and gear, airsoft replicas included, I think the final photos could have a stronger message than a senate bill ever could. The same goes for photos with the law enforcement.

This is just an idea, please bear this in mind. While I would love to do this, some of you may look at it as a possible threat to places to play, or unwanted and unneeded negative attention. I understand that entirely, but I honestly do have a great feeling about this and think it could be very beneficial for not only the airsoft community, but to law enforcement as well. I would love to hear some feedback about this blog. Please comment below, or leave a message on my wall. Thank you for reading!
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 2723 Comments 13 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 13

Comments

1. Old
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that the bill in California will only effect Californians. They will still be able to ship full metal replica airsoft guns out of state. Thats my understanding of the bill at least. Again, I could be entirely wrong, if that's the case - please feel free to correct me.
  2. Old
    Even though it may only effect people in California, other states can adopt this law. Look at Senate Bill 5. It started in a different state and came here. I really do like the idea that combatphotoK7 came up with. Not only will it look good for our standpoint and for keeping this hobby we all love alive, it will also make law enforcement more aware of what we do, where we do it at (if you play at your own place), and that's its not so bad like the media makes it. Just my thoughts,
    SWAT. out
  3. Old
    i like the idea but how would you use the pictures? by that i mean how would you get it to the masses so to speak. another addition could be events, take pictures of the safty briefing, the chrono station and how safe and responsible players play
  4. Old
    Take pictures of any safety precautions. Mags out in the staging area, goggles on while on the field, etc. Anything to let people know how safe the sport really is, and how much people care about their safety, and the safety of others.
  5. Old
    Sparky, it does sound like it would effect only California, but it would indeed effect the rest of us. Maybe not immediately, but it will, just as SWAT said. AirsoftGI, one of my favorite retailers, has written an article regarding the danger of this law to our sport and community.

Storm401, this is an excellent question and I honestly did not give it any thought. A good friend of mine, and my photography mentor told me about a site that will buy photos to be published on their website. While the purchasing price is not much, it would be worth it in the long run. The site is called Mentor Patch, and is basically a newsgroup in a sense. If you can find anything like it in your area, I would highly recommend getting in touch with them regarding this subject. You have to start somewhere, right?

My overall main goal is not strictly based in Ohio. And it's not money I'm after. I do believe that this, with the right help, dedication, enthusiasm, and commitment can make a movement that can really brighten the image of airsoft throughout the country. I would love this to get moving in the surrounding states as well and move outward through every state. If you know someone in a state over, or any state who is concerned about this bill and has a dedication and love for this sport, pass this idea on.
  6. Old
    Guys, isn't AO an example? I mean we are the best airsoft community out there! We encourage safety and respect at all times and we make our sport proud! Guys we go in chat saying hello gents. we are that polite... Point is we need to show cali how one person cant represent the U.S. and the rest of us are very responsible. I stand by you K7
  7. Old
    I thought airsoft had community to it. Even if it didn't effect us shouldn't we be concerned that they could be losing their sport not that we are safe from the bill?
  8. Old
    i just think this is a really good idea to get some good publicity for our great sport and community, and i dont just mean AO. please please please get this project going full steam.
  9. Old
    Project is due to start at Operation Nightfall, first and foremost. If you're going, you'll see me with my camera. Get your team together, and we'll do a couple group shots. From there, I will do everything I can to expand this project.
  10. Old
    well first off you are going to take an beating from AO because they thank if its not here yet in ohio then it will not matter i posted some stuff on city and state bans that the nra posted to me and took a beating for it you need to talk to the nra to get help. the kid getting shot has happened before in Indiana 2 kids got shot wile playing airsoft in there front yard the kids turned when the the cop said to freeze and he put 1 bullets in each kid thanking they had real guns if your looking to help i will help as much as i can let me know
  11. Old
    I like the idea, I would miss the replicas. Remember when driving to an event have your guns in the trunk, mags and batteries out. If pulled over let the officer know you have the guns in the back, keep them safe as well as your self safe. It's sucks some kid had to do something dumb and get himself shot, lead by example boys!
  12. Old
    i think MACE can contribute by adding a photo
  13. Old
    @devon.cruse - I have to disagree with your first comments. Reading the comments prior to yours, it seems that AO is embracing this idea so far. However, I won't stop this idea even after the Senate Bill fails (it's a bogus bill, it won't hold in court), I want to continue to help the airsoft community with my photos however possible
    Updated 07-31-2011 at 08:31 PM by CombatPhotoK7