Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Blogs > WhiteRook

Rate this Entry

Likes & Dislikes about Airsoft

Posted 03-05-2011 at 12:33 PM by WhiteRook
Updated 03-07-2011 at 02:52 PM by WhiteRook
OK, so I’ve been doing airsoft events for about a year now. Not a long time. However, long enough to develop likes and dislikes about the “games”. I thought I might share my Likes & Dislikes with everyone.

DISLIKES:

That you call them games and not events and scenarios.

ACU

Green vs Tan. While I understand it, I still don’t like it and can’t think of anything better for modern airsoft events.

That Multicam is considered Tan. No particular reason why I dislike this except that MC seems Green to me.

That paintballers wear X-Cam, so many Airsofters won’t wear it. X-Cam is the future, one step ahead of Multicam.

The hill at Springfield. Nough said.

That flash bangs are not used more. They are an excellent simulation of an actual grenade.

Not enough training on basic small unit tactics. Some events look like “ameba games”. Kinda like when my kids played soccer at age 5 … the kids are all bunched together like a big ameba an ran after the ball.

That airsoft guns break.

That there is not more interest in historical airsoft events.

Found a bunch of new friends that like the same crazy stuff I like.

Getting to shoot people without hurting them.

That there is an airsoft event = game every weekend somewhere close.

Working together as a team to achieve an objective.

That I can own a full auto replica of a gun that I have wanted since I was 12.

New stuff to learn, i.e. airsoft gun mechanics.

Becoming a modern “reenactor”

Being a role player at larger events.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 3264 Comments 28 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 28

Comments

1. Old
    I would argue that for some of the older players there is some interest in Historic Airsoft games. I think the problem is we are not historical enough for you Whiterook :P.

I would love to do a VN or Cold War style game, in fact I would be going to Kansas if it wasnt finals week. The problem is this, gear and guns. Its somewhat cost prohibitive for younger players to have multiple loadouts. I am working on my late VN one, but am in college, so money is tight with beer, airsoft, and a girlfriend.

Once a few games are held and people see how much fun it is, then I think you will see a cool niche.
  2. Old
    I also dislike ACU and Multicam and wish we could get more Historic events, but for some reason when you tell a kid he can only use simi auto, he cries about it...
  3. Old
    I agree with ACU and ameba games. I think it's a little disrespectful to the event organizer to wear one of the more "controversial" camo patterns instead of what is easily green/tan.

I wish I could be a role player, but I have yet to get the opportunity.
  4. Old
    I am irked less by the fact that some call them games rather than scenarios and more by the fact that an increasing number of participants can't be bothered to actually read the rules for said games/scenarios/events, whether it's general rules of the hosting field or rules specific to the given scenario. This goes along with the low levels of enthusiasm for historically themed events--the lack of concern for even the basic rules of a location or scenario is a bigger problem to me than whether or not participants want to do a special themed scenario.

A participants choice of BDU annoys me less than those that consisently choose not to wear proper BDUs at all, in spite of organizer calls to do so. Along with this? Participants who consisently do not bring red rags, proper goggles, proper footwear, etc, to an event, when all of this is explicitly stated over and over on the very website advertising the event. It seems some always know when and where events are going on, but sadly little else. Either that, or they've chosen to ignore such information.

Anyone who takes part in this hobby for more than a few months develops a laundry list of things that drive them nuts. Enough venting from me. The people that bring about this reaction in me don't bother reading anything on this website anyway.

Things I like? Well, Terry, you've mentioned some of them. Being able to do the 'running-jumping-climbing trees' routine with my friends whilst pelting each other with non lethal plastic? It's nice. The core leadership of our team comprises individuals I've known for almost twenty years of my life. It's grand fun to stay connected to each other through this hobby. Additionally, I used to hate the outdoors. I rather like it now. The bull session following any airsoft event is also quite enjoyable. Sometimes I think the big reason I go to an open play is to see people I haven't had a chance to talk to in a month or two, with the running around slinging plastic as an added benefit.
  5. Old
    Dislikes (cause I'm a negative person )

People who wear green gear with multicam, all this does is help draw out the green in multicam.

I found something that I love to do.

Found a group of people I actually fit in with, cause like WR I'm crazy.

Milsim
    Updated 03-14-2011 at 07:18 PM by cj93
  6. Old
    There are no likes in airsoft, only dislikes. Oh wait...
  7. Old
    Well said Badger, couldn't agree more.

And you forgot my Abomnithompson.. But I promise when I build my Garand it's staying bone stock and faithful to the original
  8. Old
    Just a comment about Multicam and X-Camo.

The easiest way to find out the base color of a camo pattery is to turn the item inside out to see its base color. If done with Multicam, it's tan. The Multicam pattern is actually printed to the outside layer of the base cloth. That explains why it is a tan base.

A note on X-Camo. X-Camo is basically a digital transfer of the Multicam color base. Unfortunately I disagree that it's the future. I tend to think of it as someone's way to cash in on the popularity of Multicam by offering the same colors in a digital pattern. When I've compared X-Camo with Multicam, it is my opinion that the X-Camo is too dense, leading to a darker color and much less breakup of the digital pattern. Multicam has a less dense pattern that breaks up extremely well at just about any distance.

I'm sure there are going to be certain theaters where X-Camo would perform well, but I think it will go down in history with CadPat, in that it's widespread use will be limited.

I think the reason so many people hate Multicam is because it works so well! LoL
  9. Old
    I dislike the noob term of "wars" or " battles" when referring to events or games
  10. Old
    People that use Multi Cam know that it works well enough to slow the reaction of anyone trying to ID them when they wear green gear with it. I used to get mad about it but you have to admire their sneakiness. A 4x scope took care of the problem for me. Plus if I cannot ID them, neither can their teammates on another squad. It all evens out in the end.

Dislikes: People not reading up on rules and requirements for events. I bet if Miyagi posted an event and put in the rules that "NO CLOWN SHOES ARE TO BE WORN, NO EXCEPTIONS!" At least one guy will show up in clown shoes and expect to be accommodated, I guarantee it! But that kind of applies to life in general, not just airsoft.

Likes: I will end up with carpal tunnel syndrome if I list all of my likes!
  11. Old
    "I think the reason so many people hate Multicam is because it works so well! LoL"
    That makes no sense. Why would I hate something that works well? Going by that logic, I should hate classic army, pantac, KWA, belleville, tru spec, honda, ka bar, Khor, and levi's simply because they work well.

I do not like Multicam because of it's controversy in the AO world. It has shades of both tan and green which make it a difficult call for organizers when trying to place it in a team. Also, camouflage does not really work at our regular engagement distances in airsoft. Only when the distance increases to hundreds of yards does any camo begin to break up the outline of a body.

Basically, multicam is an expensive sham that makes event organizer's jobs harder and me more irritated.

I know there will be some people who say "But sooth, I was sitting in the bushes one time and a whole green squad ran past me and I was never seen!"
    that's because you were in a bush, camo had nothing to do with it.

"But one time I was lying in a field and greenfor moved past me and they never saw me."
    that's because they were scanning other areas than the field they didn't expect tanfor to be coming from. You were out of their line of recognition and they were not actively looking for you where you were.

"One time I was standing next to a guy wearing DCU and we got shot at and he got shot first, was the MC making the enemy notice him sooner?"
    No, as stated before the camo you're wearing won't break up your outline until you're much farther away. your buddy probably has bad luck.
  12. Old
    Dislikes:
    Walking up giant *** hills.
    Running out of ammo.
    My AK breaking every few minutes.

13. Old
    DISLIKES:

Very low honor and honestly amongst some players.

"my stick is bigger then your stick" syndrome.

People that are too stubborn to learn.

Elitist

Cocky Ex military members ( You're not over seas anymore and you don't know more than others may)

Something to keep me from going crazy from work

MilSim

The realism

The respect amongst most players

The brotherhood EARNED and shared amongst most players

The exercise

The adrenal rush

The fact that, no matter how old or young, each player can teach and learn from another

....Just a few of my likes / dislikes
  14. Old
    Quit your *****ing old man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1_NhnXMCKw
    Updated 03-11-2011 at 05:51 PM by Evil Head
  15. Old
    Hardy Har Har EvilHead!
  16. Old

Dislikes :
    Guns breaking down and paying for repairs
    Battle of the vets and noobs
    Tan is the more experienced side, so I wanna go tan
    Drama
    People not reading event rules and not paying attention at briefings ( big reason things get off track)
    Lack of willingness to help new players
    New players lack of willingness to accept help or rules

This is a great hobby. If there were more minuses that pluses, none of us would be here.

WR, thanks for the post, so I could reflect on this issue. It's simple discussions like this that opens windows for improvement.....So Blade, how we gonna improve that Damn hill of yours, lol.
  17. Old
    Dislike: The banning of hi cap mags at most games.
    Like: Everything else
  18. Old
    Ah I own a full set of X Cam. I love it, and I KNOW that it works better than MC. The only thing is, it doesn't work better in AIRSOFT because BOTH green and tan will shoot at you. Close up, it's green. Far away, it's tan. I never get to wear it because friendly fire becomes painful after a while.
  19. Old
    Dislikes:
    -Every time I wanna go to an event, the weather seems to hate me. Can't get a nice day to play.

-Seeing and meeting new people
    -The memories of epic firefights
  20. Old
    Dislikes: Hunting Camo
    Clearsoft Guns
    Noobs on my team.
    The hill in springfield
    Noobs wearing hunting camo on my team trying to snipe someone at the top of the hill in Springfield with a clearsoft gun.