Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Blogs > Spetsnaz

Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

OMFG! That guy is a cheater!

Posted 09-16-2010 at 12:43 PM by Spetsnaz
OMFG I HIT THAT GUY!
OMFG THAT GUY IS A CHEATER!!!!11!11!11
OH COME ON TAKE YOUR HITS DUDE!

It's a recent run of words that I have started to notice becoming a more frequent thing.

It's reason? I have no clue. It's not new players. It's not old players. It's not young players, and it's not older players.

But the bottom line is, it is becoming more frequent, and quite frankly this is not only annoying but also disturbing.

Let's face it, hit calling and cheater-calling on the field is banished for a reason. For one, it's annoying to hear you shouting from the other side of the field that you hit someone, and two, you challenge someone's integrity they are not going to take it lightly. Thus, arguments and fights start.

Thankfully the awesome staff at most events have been there to cut it off right then and there before it starts into something major, but the base issue is still there.

It was very evident at Airsoft Con / Operation White Dragon - where it seemed like I could not enter a room without first hearing someone yelling and screaming about so-and-so not taking their hits. I guess this was the base in which I decided to make this little blurb. But it has also happened at many other events I attended during the summer.

So, here's a basic guide.

OMFG I HIT THAT GUY.
But maybe I did not...

1. You are over confident of your gun.

Your gun shoots little plastic BBs between 300-400 FPS. These BBs weigh between .20-.30 grams typically on the field. As you can imagine - these are not very heavy at all.

Your BBs can be thwarted by numerous events including your gun. Your gun may have a slight misfire and for a brief moment fire inaccurately. It may also misfeed and while you think you are shooting - you actually are not. Wind, rain, and any obstacle will substantially decrease your accuracy. I don't care if you have a Systema PTW with five grand of crap on it - wind will kill your accuracy as much as the rest of us.

1 (A) You're shooting at people too far away.

Section 1 (A) goes under being over confident of your gun because of the fact you try to shoot someone that is too far for your gun to reach. Your BBs may look like they are reaching your target - but when they reach the point where they become hard to see...you can not be sure. So, before you start screaming - why not move up a little bit closer and trying again? I have seen it time after time. BBs flying out from long range to suddenly lose all energy and plop five feet before the guy they are shooting at. Do not think your gun is the best shooting thing on the field - because guess what. It's not.

2. Shooting moving targets is a PITA.

Simply put. Shooting people who are running is a lot more difficult than it looks - even for your airsoft gun. You may be firing full auto in their direction but your BBs are also likely not as accurate or your lead on your target is not correct. Unless you are close enough to see a stream of white BBs bouncing and ricocheting off their gear - give them the benefit of the doubt.

Also, most of us take a moment to slow down when hit while running. We all have a ton of crap on - so if we do not immediately hit the brakes and throw up a red rag - give it a second. Maybe the guy needs to safely stop.

3. Airsoft gets the blood pumping.

It does. You're running around. You're hot. You're having a blast. You're pressured to complete objectives. Your mind is going a thousand miles a second and you begin to lose control of your perception of what is going on around you. Including getting hit.

This is where airsoft self policing comes into play a LOT. If you notice your partner getting hit - let him know. He may be so amped up that he just does not realize it or feel it. I know it has happened to me several times where I have had someone on my team go "Hey man, Spets you got hit" and I did not feel or hear a thing because I was so concentrated on firing at someone or doing something. It happens to all of us. So, just because you are hitting the guy and he does not take the hit DOES NOT MEAN he is blatantly cheating. He may just not be aware of it. It also goes along with the following...

4. We wear a ton of crap.

Most of us wear all sorts of gizmos, buttons, gadgets, and random crap that we probably do not need but we carry anyways. Plastic BBs striking these objects have a tendency to make us not feel those hits. Couple that with being pumped up and you have one invincible airsofter who is just not aware. Again. Self policing in this aspect helps a thousand miles.

If you notice you're hitting someone with a lot of crap on their torso - aim for their legs or arms. Trust me. That will get their attention very quickly.

DO NOT AIM FOR THE HEAD...

Seriously. You also do not need that explained as to why.

Solutions.

1. The biggest one is to self police ourselves. Watch our for your buddy by not only keeping him from getting hit but also incase he does get hit and fails to notice it.

2. Chill out and learn to calm it down. While difficult to do - if we took a second to just breathe in and be more aware of what is going on - we would likely know we have been hit during times we may not.

3. Stop our gun circle jerking. This goes for everyone and not the people who spend a lot on guns. Our guns are not the real thing, neither is the ammo used in them. No matter if they are 100 dollars or one thousand.

4. Give the other guy the benefit of the doubt. Seriously, a vast majority of us are out to have fun and 99% of the time we do. Sometimes we get wrapped up in it. If we're always starting arguments or questioning people's integrity - where does that leave us? A drama filled mud slinging fest that no one will want to go back to. If you want to keep friends, you never question people's integrity. They take it personally.

5. Aim elsewhere. Maybe they are not feeling the hits. Aim for less covered areas (BUT NOT THE HEAD.) Such as the lower arms or legs. (But please avoid the groin.) Get their attention that way FIRST and try to avoid opening your mouth.

6. Don't take the game TOO seriously and personal. I have been frustrated before while playing, but that frustration lasts merely a minute. Learn to chill out and get back into the game and not put extra weight on your shoulders. It will help you and the other players on the field in the long run - and avoid you getting more and more amped up in anger. Remember, if you keep getting frustrated because you think you might have hit some guy and did not - next thing in your mind is that the next guy is cheating...and the next...and the next...

The pieces fall and so will you. Avoid it.

With that...

BE SAFE. HAVE FUN. PLAY HONESTLY.

Three big things to go by in airsoft and three things I know a vast majority of us follow.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 9286 Comments 21 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 21

Comments

1. Old
    you know what, i agree with you strongly, i mean i can easily imagine that happening all the time! and i can also see it becoming a big deal and people getting pissed at each other for a misunderstanding! i'll probably do this a lot to time from time as i get more experienced, but people do need to chill if this happens! they need to easily read this if this crap happens to them a lot.
  2. Old
    Good Blog, I approve
  3. Old
    I disagree. Everything bad in airsoft is the fault of the new people. **** rolls downhill to cover the lowest guy on the totem. It's the new guy's fault.

IF people aren't calling hits, its because the new guys are cheaters.
  4. Old
    AO needs a like button.

I agree. Another thing I've seen is people say "well if they aren't going call their hits I won't call mine" and that I think is the WRONG approach. It is all about honor. Just because they don't, doesn't mean you should give up yours. Then there are ricochet's which people can't always tell the difference between a ricochet and a real hit.

WHEN IN DOUBT CALL YOURSELF OUT.

Seriously, is it worth the stain on your honor? There are times I could swear I should have been hit but wasn't and then there are those obnoxious times where I should not ever have been hit (by extreme range, random shots, etc) and called myself out.
  5. Old
    I still use the end all method of getting real cheaters... I mean the people you see flinch as BBs hit them, and then shrug it off.

Step 1. put your dead rag on.
    Step 2. walk over calmly, and nonthreatening.
    Step 3. read his name tag, or ask politely for his name.
    Step 4. walk away... if he asks why /maybe/ tell him: to report his behavior to the Admins.
    Step 5. Tell the admin(s) and leave it at that.

That's it. It inspires a fear of getting caught. If cheaters can be caught by anyone, and the Admins act on the info... then the problem gets fixed.
    But player must know that there are two options: either they stop cheating (preferred, although sometimes it takes getting kicked off a field or two) OR they stop playing, after getting banned from "the good games".

Telling the authorities capable of fixing the problem works better then arguing or yelling. If you have a name (or really good description) then an admin can show up sooner or later and correct the problem.

First offenses are then made known and the culprit warned. Continued cheating can be dealt with correctly... usually kicked off the field for that game, followed by a banning if they come back and continue cheating.

Anything else relies on two people, who are competing against each other, coming to an agreement that neither of them can enforce. Why bother!
    If the other guy starts cheating again, you the player, can not throw him out. As far as the Admins know, it is still his first (reported) offense, so they will probably not kick him off the field. Benefit of a doubt apply to them too.

Obviously this builds reputations also. If your name is on the Sh** list, then you had better be extra careful.

Does this weed out some people? You bet! But if this is really a game of honor, then why should we allow cheaters to play at all? I don't purposefully deal with dishonest people in the real world, why should I do so on my free time.
    Updated 09-18-2010 at 03:56 PM by stagg
  6. Old
    Stagg, that is a good approach. However, be advised that just because someone flinches it does not mean they are not calling their hits or that they were even hit. Hosting many games I have had a lot of opportunity to observe players and their reactions. Many will flinch just from the sound of BBs hitting near them or bouncing off of hard cover they are using.
  7. Old
    True, you do have to see bbs hitting them. I guess I was too specific...
    Irregardless of how you catch them. There are people who cheat, and getting their name is the only way to stop them. While we are at it, make sure you explain the circumstances to the Admin, so they can actually help the other person learn and grow.
    Updated 09-18-2010 at 08:15 AM by stagg
  8. Old
    I tend to flinch at near misses at head level. Just a natural reaction to it.
  9. Old
    Spets, you might flinch at near misses, but at the last mini op on Saturday, I was shooting through the fence at the far right of the front courtyard, (You know, behind that food or medical cart in front of the red door that goes to the cell block) with my Hi Capa. The first guy I got two solid hits on, he called himself out. The second guy, I got a hit on his cover, his goggles, and one on his mouth. I DID watch them bounce off of him, and I went to discuss that I did in fact get three separate hits on him in a 20 second period. We talked about it for a minute and he opened up on me. I said "**** it" and walked away. At that point if I saw anyone deliberately not calling their hits, I'd MAKE them feel them, or walk away, fed up with the cheating. You'd be surprised how you can shoot a guys exposed hands 20 or 30 times while he's reloading in a doorway and have him not feel a thing. And then have the NERVE to argue with the ref when the ref calls him out. That happened a couple times...
  10. Old
    Bummer, that's exactly why I get names... and if the admin staff doesn't do anything about it, then I leave and don't come back.
    That way my support only goes to people/groups that play honorably. If enough people do it then the system gets better.
  11. Old
    KFM:

Sadly Airsoft Con seemed to have a lot of those types running around. However I also think it sprung up from a select few and ended up spreading. A lot of people got the "F%$# it, if they do not call them I will not either" attitude and that is unfortunate.

I think there was a handful of people who came out to that event purely to cause trouble and cheat.

...And that's fine. Like Stagg said, we get names of some of these fools who come to ruin our game...word spreads pretty quickly...and they will not last long.
  12. Old
    There's never a time and a place to disregard the rules.. I never intentionally cheated, and if I said "**** this," I would walk away from the situation, and have other people go too. I dont have a lot of complaints about White Dragon it's self.. It got bad, but I was never in a situation that wasn't resolved by a quick conversation and a parlay... Once we had to get Red because a guy threw in a thunder B and decided to go get it when he died... In the middle of a firefight..

The Mini Op I played in was where I had the most complaints about player safety. Except for Jackal, we were the only Ohio guys on the tan team, and the only ones close to vet status, realizing this, I took it upon myself to police both sides, and make sure everyone was ok, especially after a room breaching. During one particularly long firefight into a huge room, a tan player cleared a smaller room within it with a grenade, and cleared out four guys himself. I was right behind him and engaged them when I saw them standing there with rifles in semi-ready position, they had no red rags. None of them. Just their glow sticks from the night before. During the day. Next thing I know 30 guys are streaming into the room, engaging them, and stacking on the wall to breach into that tiny little room. I made everyone in that room freeze. Every. Last. Person. And made those dead guys leave before they were seriously hurt by a 30 man room clear. The tan guys didn't mind it, but the green guys were so pissed at me for it.. So much so they got a ref. I just explained the situation and was told good job. The whole Con experience made me appreciate being an Ohio player, and that everyone is so sportsmanlike and safety oriented. I've only seen rule breaking and unsportsmanlike conduct of this magnitude at ONE event, i my two and a half years in this game.
  13. Old
    Spetsnaz this is a great blurb/guide to follow a must read for all either noob and veteran. I have to say this sport teaches me more about myself when challenges arise wether I fail or succeed when faced with those challenges I am continuing learning more about myself and the sport. I will read this again before my next big Op and keep this as a reference guide to follow.
  14. Old
    When in doubt, empty the mag.
  15. Old
    The whole "well they're just cheating" approach is really the problem here. If we're promoting the value of honor, then assuming you disrespect your fellow player by accusing him of being dishonorable doesn't do anything to promote honor. Airsoft guns are not phaser beams going straight out from your gun. The BBs can easily be knocked off trajectory by a mouse fart.

By assuming they are cheating, you are basically letting your ego overshadow common sense and the respect you are looking to foster on the field.

They aren't calling hit - maybe they aren't being hit. maybe with the nth level of plate carriers and all the other **** people wear at games, they don't know they are hit.

Maybe they are unaware they don't have energy shields or godmode in this game? Why label them a cheater and cause them bad feelings?

Just keep shooting them until they do feel it. It certainly doesn't seem to bother them, so just keep shooting them until they realize they are being hit.

All this "he's a cheater" crap is immature. We can all handle this like adults - maybe you're just a crappy shot. Yeah, maybe it's your fault he's not calling hits. If you weren't such a whiner, maybe your BBs would hit him like you had a pair. Try aiming at something he will feel.

And if BBs don't work, you could just tackle him and tell him a grenade blew you across the field and the shock of your body hitting him has killed him. And maybe to make it a little more realistic, kick him in the nuts a few times. Your knee slipped...

No reason to disrespect another player with baseless accusations of cheating and dishonor. Just help him get into the game with a good ole knee to the balls.

It's an American tradition.
  16. Old
    Quote:
    And if BBs don't work, you could just tackle him and tell him a grenade blew you across the field and the shock of your body hitting him has killed him.
    LMFAO!

Hahaha, oh man. I lol'd.
  17. Old
    You know what the problem really is? Those damnd Maelstrom guys, they never call their hits, they run all over the place in a complete unorganized fashion firing in every direction possible. What a bunch of losers.
  18. Old
    I KNOW RIGHT? They were by far the worst people at the Con.. causing all sort of trouble.. and that radio class totally sucked..
    P.S. Teddy, I swear I saw you at my college today.. I was like "Teddy! WTF are you doing here?!?!?" It wasn't you obviously... It was awkward...
  19. Old
    Whenever people start the "I HIT YOU n00b!!!!11!!eleven!!" crap at me I just give them the "kill" and put on my red rag. The way I see it is it gives me a chance to sip out of my hydro pack and I probably need a break anyhow. Its just not worth it to argue, once that garbage starts the game becomes no fun for me so why not wait until mr. mc-angry-pants has moved on.
  20. Old
    I had an incident this weekend where a guy about 150' away was firing at me and began yelling at me that he was hitting me when he was indeed not. Most of his shots were falling well short of my position. He eventually did hit me and I called my out like I always do. I cannot stress enough that if you are at a fair distance, you have no idea what and where you are hitting. Call your own shots and I'll call mine.