Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Blogs > Red

Rate this Entry

Why PTWs ARE worth it

Posted 03-19-2010 at 01:14 PM by Red
Sometimes I wonder why I purchased a PTW - $1800 for the whole kit. Then I go play with it. Then, I realize how amazingly efficient, delicious, and just downright indestructible they are. And how well they actually perform. And then I question why I even questioned my PTW in the first place.

Today, while prepping up for Redemption, I took my batteries and charged them. Took my cylinder from a pile of tools and shims. Plugged a battery in, threw my black 310 FPS cylinder in the gun. Pulled the shot. Cylinder engaged about half way, stopped, and released itself.

First thing I did was pop open the receiver and check to see if the battery was indeed dead. Pulled the trigger, the gears were moving - electrical response was perfect. Strange.

Popped open my cylinder, and little did I know, this guy falls out...

That's a shim. Somehow, this shim made it into the bottom of the cylinder where the end of the piston is. My PTW cylinder smashed the **** out of it, and still works perfectly. The PTW cylinder, works perfectly. My PTW cylinder smashed a foreign object in it, and said "Meh, whatever."

This is why, my friends, PTWs are worth every cent. Try that with a regular AEG.
Tags: ptw, ptws
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 16119 Comments 40 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 40

1. Old
    amen bro. The only problem with PTW is you get spoiled. It is very difficult to like anything else after you got your hands on a PTW. It truly sucks because I know the honeymoon will have to end one day, nothing last forever. Bah, no big deals, saving for a spare PTW already
  2. Old
    What the heck, my PTW can't talk. I got ripped off.
  3. Old
    Amen brother
  4. Old
    amen bro. The only problem with PTW is you get spoiled. It is very difficult to like anything else after you got your hands on a PTW. It truly sucks because I know the honeymoon will have to end one day, nothing last forever. Bah, no big deals, saving for a spare PTW already
    I know the feeling its so hard to turn back even after you try to like something else it just isn't the same
  5. Old
    Please start a video series similar to Will it Blend.
    Posted 03-19-2010 at 04:38 PM by DemonicUnicorn2 DemonicUnicorn2 is offline
  6. Old

You know, I'm probably going to get flamed royally for this (from members of my own team, no less) but for some reason I've just never gravitated toward a PTW. *WTF? Oh no he did'n! Blasphem-ist! *

I've borrowed them on occasion, and I must say that they are pretty sweet from a build/quality standpoint. I could easily own one (or two), and I've sank more money in the 5 guns I do own than I would have on just one PTW. But other than the snappy trigger pull, I'm just not seeing (for me anyway) a huge advantage over my other guns.

But hey, that's me for ya. I like variety. And I'm heavily gravitating toward gas blowbacks for Spring/Summer, love 'em. I know, I'm weird.

But I do respect the PTW!
    Updated 03-19-2010 at 05:04 PM by Torque
  7. Old
    I'm with Torque-man 100% ... much respect for the PTW ... but gotta go to Kroger's too ... it's a question of balance in your hobbies ... sorry, I mean my hobbies.

BTW, I'11 use your PTW anytime you want to loan it to me!
  8. Old
    Torque and Whiterook, that is ok, we still respect you, we all have been newbies before you know
  9. Old
    For me, being a lefty and having tried the M4 platform before, I can say that they are not for me. I know they have ambidextrous mag catches and those ease the pain but I still didn't like the platform as a whole.

Now from a performance standpoint, the same as Torque said, I see no serious advantages over my AEGs. Not to mention I typically out range most of the PTWs I encounter on the field. I respect the build quality and accuracy to the real deal but to me its all about range and consistency at range.
    Posted 03-19-2010 at 07:05 PM by DemonicUnicorn2 DemonicUnicorn2 is offline
  10. Old
    A smart man once said "Buy once, cry once".

I have run many rounds with a few issues but nothing earth shattering. I give props to Darkstar for building my Challenge Kit M4 - rock solid.

Keep on shootin Red.

Torque - you are a one man armory wolfpack...
  11. Old
    guess you shouldn't put your cylinder in a pile of shims and tools.
  12. Old
    Cool story, Reed. Will wait for the one after Redemption from your gun failing and you remember the shim and thinking, "I thought it wouldn't hurt it," QQQQQQ.

But I digress...
  13. Old
    Systema fails. No G36 PTWs. That is all.
  14. Old
    Yep, I would definitely love me some G36 goodness too. I love the PTW's. They're rock solid, at least once you get them broken in. I've never heard of people having issues with the pre-assembled ones, and if you have a PTW CK's assembled by someone who knows what they're doing, they're going to last a long time too. Only issues, motor brushes. Otherwise they are incredibly low maintenance and you can beat the crap out of them. I just wish Systema branched out into more models. The PT5 is FAIL. Give us AK-47's or G36's or something!!

The main reason most people buy a PTW is for bragging rights, followed by low maintenance. Experienced airsofters buy it for the low maintenance. After working on AEG gearboxes, having a gun that is actually reliable and can go for hundreds of thousands or rounds without a failure is all the reason to own one. It's a time saver. I work on so many AEG's that I don't want to spend time working on my own, so the PTW was the perfect answer for that problem, and I think most PTW owners will agree.
  15. Old
    I have shot around with a few friends PTW's, and I cannot deny that they are in a class of their own. It is not possible to compare a regular AEG with one. I would absolutely love having one. Problem is, I'm a 17 year old kid that needs a job, and needs to pay car insurance and stuff like that before airsoft. I also agree with Darkstar that Systema should branch out and design other models. Seeing an AK family PTW would make me very happy, even if it wasn't mine.
  16. Old
    I agree with Sasquatch, if Systema makes an ak74, then I'll spend a mini-fortune on one. Until then, I'll be satisfied owning multiple guns that perform fantastic and flawless.
  17. Old
    I still believe they are overpriced. They are pretty outside and awesome for weight/realism. But I can outshoot PTWs with my 09 X series CA M16. 1800$ for another M4? Nah. And cool story red. Your gun smashed a thin piece of metal. That's so 1337. Does your Eagle gear smash small pieces of metal too?
    Posted 03-20-2010 at 05:05 PM by Son of Liberty Son of Liberty is offline
  18. Old
    First off, I would would wager that any decent AEG could do the same. Even if an AEG did break under the same circumstances, we're probably talking like $10-15 for a new Piston head, which would most likely be the part damaged. That's quite a bit cheaper than $1800. Heck, you could replace the entire gun multiple times over before you hit the $1800 mark.

Don't get me wrong, PTW's are saweet, but that's just not enough to warrant the price one those things cost.
  19. Old
    Thanks, SoL, I think you just fulfilled my Douche Quota for the day in one post. Now I don't have to browse the internets until tomorrow!! YAY.

Also, Reed, is it as good as you thought it would be in your wildest dreams, or is it just pretty awesome?
  20. Old
    I'm still not sold on them, and at this point probably never will be. However its a conversation we have had over and over and over again between the two schools of thought. My AEG costs less, has a comparable trigger response and ROF, has comparable range and accuracy, and is MUCH quieter then *most* of the PTW's I've encountered/used on the field. Granted, Systema did engineer the magnum motor I use, which is totally worth the $85 I paid for it. On top of that, when the gun goes down, I can repair the piece myself (except when I re-assemble the motor wrong and it spins backwards...oops ), something many PTW owners can't claim themselves.

The PTWs I have fired, especially the Challenge Kits, have a nice trigger response but I would no longer classify them as "crisp". The motor engagement always seems to be the issue, with the gun feeling "gummy" or grinding occurring when you fire it. It just doesn't sound right, and after testimony from people who have performed custom work on their PTWs, there are flaws in the platform that are fatal to its design. And that alone to me makes the price clearly not worth it at all. The magnum motors however, are totally worth the price.

But to each his/her own I guess.