Airsoft Ohio Forums  

Go Back   Home > Airsoft Ohio Forums > Blogs > Grease Man

Rate this Entry

Shipping, Stop Bit*****

Posted 10-12-2009 at 01:00 PM by Grease Man
I put this together quick, so my apologies if it isn't up to grammar "par"

Lately Iíve been hearing a lot of people complaining about high shipping rates from airsoft retailers and itís really beginning to annoy me, especially since these people complaining seem to know nothing of the world of shipping. From what Iíve seen most retailers prefer to ship with UPS. UPS is more expensive than the US Postal Service. While Iím sure there are people out there who have had bad experiences with UPS, they are much more reliable than USPS. In fact USPS doesnít even offer tracking numbers on most forms of shipping and flat out refuses to ship certain airsoft products. There are not many companies willing to risk loosing valuable merchandise to save a couple dollars. I donít have much experience with Fedex or DHL but Iím fairly sure they are on the same lines as UPS.
Before you go complaining that it cost almost the same in shipping as the bag of BBís you just ordered, know this: Most reliable shipping companies, in general, ship based on weight and size brackets for standard shipping. Meaning that it will cost roughly the same thing to ship a packet of shims as it will a gun. Get over it, thatís just the way it is. Also keep in mind, that shipping prices fluctuate with the cost of fuel (obviously). If fuel costs are at a record high, you can bet that shipping costs are up as well. Also please know this: Iím fairly sure that most retailers will not drive their personal vehicles to the local postal office to mail youíre package that you want them to make an exception for, so donít even bother asking, they are busy enough as it is. If you want to complain, complain to the shipping companies or write to your local congressman/congresswoman.

So here are some tips to help you save on shipping:

- Donít just order a single bag of BBís, order at least two or more. It will cost roughly the same thing to ship.
- A lot of retailers offer discounted/free shipping over a certain amount of money spent. If you canít afford to spend that much, see if your buddies want to add anything to your order.
- Plan a road trip with friends to an airsoft store and split the cost of gas money
- A lot of retailers can drop off supplies to you at games if they are local and the organizer allows it.

END RANT
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 12630 Comments 24 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 24

Comments

1. Old
    I agree for the most part, but A) any time I've ordered something USPS it's always come with a tracking number, and B) they really don't refuse to ship anything because they don't ask what's in the box. Put an orange flashhider on if you're worried about them looking through your stuff, but they will never look through your mail because that's a federal offense.

I shipped something I had sold once (my first sale) via UPS, and I had to lie about the contents and everything shipped fine. A lot bigger hassle, IMO. Any time since then I've used USPS and everything has worked out fine. Products arrive faster, are easily tracked, and you don't have to worry about missing them and having to go to the UPS place with the little slip they leave to pick up your item.

USPS is superior in pretty much every way, in my humble opinion.

(these views are from a personal, not retail, standpoint)
    Updated 10-12-2009 at 01:38 PM by vbtb110
  2. Old
    +1 to you good sir. I used to do alot of shipping for a past job, and cost / arrival time were always a customer's main complaint. People should be happy they can recieve something anywhere in about 5-6 business days. The best was hearing an older friend talking about his father ordering things via mail in the 30's. People complain about waiting a week, try waiting 1-2 months...
  3. Old
    Vbtb- I respect your opinion. I'm my experience, unless something has changed, with USPS's lower shipping options you cannot get tracking numbers.

Also, while you may be able to just not specify or lie about the contents, retailers cannot. I guarantee you that if you were an airsoft retailer and set up a USPS account, you would run into some problems...

I'm going to make a bold and unsupported statement that is purely my personal opinion, but I strongly believe that USPS does not like to do business with most kinds of retailers. As their retailers/customer support system is garbage. But again that's just me.
    Updated 10-12-2009 at 02:12 PM by Grease Man
  4. Old
    USPS tracking is an extra fee. Their flat rate is nice for certain items.

Even HK retailers, tell you to order more because of shipping costs. What's sad is companies like Evike & GI who use UPS and it takes forever because they have a 3-4 day processing window. USPS is a toss up. Sometimes it's on time or way late. The package is in my mail box by the time they update tracking.

I go to AirsoftSmith for most of my airsoft needs. At least they take care of their customers.
    Updated 10-12-2009 at 03:01 PM by UrbanMarine
  5. Old
    - USPS is not supposed to accept any kind of weapons, mags or silencer. Don't even think about any kind of gas too.
    - USPS give you a confirmation number, not a tracking number.
    - USPS while cheaper, will give you inferior service, as simple as that.
    - If you lose something in USPS, good luck getting your money back within a decent period of time.

Ultimately, i feel much more comfortable dealing with UPS. As it has been stated at many occasion on so many other subjects, you get what you pay for...for the most parts.
  6. Old
    I personally choose to ship with USPS, but have used most other carriers at one time or another. DHL was said to be scaling back US facilities.
  7. Old
    USPS doesn't have a tracking number that I'm aware of, only a Delivery Confirmation number. The two are NOT the same.
  8. Old
    DC is not like UPS tracking but it will list the facility when scanned in.
  9. Old
    Everybody has their own rightful opinion as to which shipping couriers are good and which are bad. Many people take polar sides with either USPS or UPS.

Personally, I think they both lack, and either way you are compromising on service.

Now, to clear up the misleading information that I see posted ...

- You can ship airsoft guns and parts using USPS
    - You can certainly ship most firearms parts that are not classified by the BATFE as a firearm with USPS. This includes magazines.
    - You can even ship real firearms using USPS (under limited circumstances without an FFL).

Folks, please be careful to not let your opinion of a shipping courier cause you to post nonfactual information.
  10. Old
    Remington, I am an airsoft retailer and unless it changed recently, if I was saying I am shipping the item mentioned above, they were not accepting my package. Now is it because the guy was overzealous (sp) or your USPS guys did not give a crap, I don't knbow but one thing is sure, I was not allowed. Please refrain for saying things without asking why we are saying something or not. Can I assume you work for USPS or something since you are so sure about your facts?
  11. Old
    Ok we are getting off the point I was trying to make.

I was simply asking for people to stop giving retailers crap for what "they" think are high shipping costs, when in fact the costs are normal.

Remington- I'm not sure of USPS restrictions but I've had major problems shipping airsoft related supplies with them.
    Updated 10-12-2009 at 07:46 PM by Grease Man (lala)
  12. Old
    And I am experienced in shipping firearms and related parts.

My facts come from studying postal regulations. I apologize for ticking you off, but there is no need to develop a complex over the issue.

As for my refraining from contributing knowledge to this discussion: I was simply correcting very general and basic facts -- not arguing with you about your specific experience. So no, I don't have to refrain from posting.
  13. Old
    Honestly. I use USPS nearly 75-85% of the time. I use UPS sometimes, hardly fedex, and DHL a handful of times and I'm pleased with all. Usps is convienent cuz they have an office ten minutes from me. I never ***** too much about shipping. Unless I go a few business days without a processing, or any order update. I'm also impressed with HK speedpost. Am I the only one?
    Posted 10-12-2009 at 08:18 PM by Son of Liberty Son of Liberty is offline
  14. Old
    Shipping is expensive!

Shipping is expensive!

Shipping is expensive!

Get over it!

There Andy, back to the original topic.
  15. Old
    I heard shipping is easy with usps. That you can ship anywhere in the US for one flat rate. If it fits it ships.
    Posted 10-12-2009 at 09:20 PM by Son of Liberty Son of Liberty is offline
  16. Old
    Urban Marine you are correct. DC does scan at each stop along the way. Tess DHL, I believe is only doing interantional shipping now.
  17. Old
    Good little rhyme there SOL, lol.

Anyways, Shipping is expensive, just like gas it....it's the way of life. People are just going to have to adapt to the changes.

I've had good success with USPS and UPS. However, on more expensive items, I tend to go with UPS and pay for the insurance.

I had to ship my CA G3 to it's new owner in Oregon. It cost $24.xx to ship. Big deal. The owner ended up paying for it. And it got there in 5 days in perfect condition. It's a service we are paying for, mine as well get your monies worth.

Good Blog +1
  18. Old
    Good deal Grease. I do get all bent out of shape when a cutoff lever costs as much to ship as a box of mags, but I know that its not the company I am ordering from. (gave me the excuse to buy another mag and some bbs) I guess I cannot complain as much as others as I live between Airsoft Arms and Combat Depot and could drive to either if I were in a desperate need of things.
  19. Old
    As another retailer, I completely agree with the G-man. I get tired of hearing complaints like "Why does it cost $7 to ship a $3 patch!??!".

Also, vbtb, your opinion of USPS vs UPS is based of a MINUSCULE amount of experience compared to those of us who ship things every day. I assure you, USPS is not in any way superior to UPS. As stated, USPS also does not offer a tracking number, only a delivery confirmation.

USPS also has a very inferior support network when it comes to dealing with businesses that need to ship a lot of things on a daily and timely basis.

In the 6 years we have been doing business with UPS, I can't count on one hand how many times we have had a legitimate problem with UPS.

In the very LIMITED times we have used USPS, it was a PITA from both a processing standpoint, and a customer service standpoint.

Want cheaper shipping? Buy more stuff.
  20. Old
    I see the difference in our experiences so you're correct in that aspect, but I've always had a tracking number printed out on the receipt..