PDA

View Full Version : Tangled Web Poll: Armband colors or uniforms?

Darkstar
07-18-2005, 11:06 PM
Hello all.

Before you select an option for the poll, please read through this post.

We are are looking for way to improve future Tangled Web missions, as well as other Airsoft Arms sponsored events, we want to get the public's opinion about the use of armbands in airsoft games.

Many people said they didn't like having the grey and brown armbands; that they were too difficult to see clearly.

There have always been two opinions with respect to the use of armbands. One opinion is that you should have clearly visible colors, like red, orange, blue, green, yellow, etc, so that they stand out and people can more easily their team mates. Others feel that bright colors stand out too easily and that your enemy is more likely to see you. This second group instead ops for a subdued armband, like the ones we used at the event.

My question to the people who want to be participating in Tangled Web in the future, would you rather have brightly colors armbands (Red/Blue), subdued armsbands (like the grey and brown ones), or would you rather do away with arm bands all together and just have each side be required to have a uniform in order to play?

Please let me know so that we can set appropriate measures in place to assure that future Tangled Web events have better enemy recognition.

Darkstar out.

genocide43110
07-19-2005, 12:28 AM
I think that we shoud have 2 arm bands, 1 on each arm. I also think they should be red or blue. Just my two cents.

grunt
07-19-2005, 01:01 AM
With what genocide said, two arm bands...one team should have maroon since it is most likely not a color to be confused with gear, and the opposite team, grey for the above reason. Also because they are both more of subdued colors.

Killedlots
07-19-2005, 09:00 AM
I was thinking the same thing. I managed several times to "sneak" behind the brown team just by putting my armband on the other arm:D
And then acting friendly. Definitly need two armbands. The color wasn't the biggest problem (exept when people rolled their sleeves and the it looked like they had a grey armband) It forced you to look at your target before shooting.

Violator
07-19-2005, 09:44 AM
I'm all for uniforms. Armbands can be a real pain in the rear to see if you have foggy goggles, even if its a bright color. With an entire uniform you know instantly.

genocide43110
07-19-2005, 01:38 PM
The only downside to uniforms is that some people can't afford to go buy a new bdu. I know you can go some places and buy used bdu's pretty cheap, but some people can barely afford to go to events.

Duo Chan
07-19-2005, 02:36 PM
Well, I've always seen this issue from a realistic, military stand point. On the battle field, it isn't insured that, from a distance, your enemy isn't going to be hard to tell from friendly. It's a hard topic without many good options.

The brightly colored arm bands, imo, kill a lot of what the game is about, even more for myself as a sniper. It's unrealistic and makes it harder to play when you're always having to worry about who can see your brightly colored arm when you're about to plink them and who can't. ;)

Different style BDU's for different teams works, but not all that well, either. Someone will end up in the fields and woodland with desert BDU's on. And as you said, not everyone can afford to buy new camo.

The more camo colored arm bands (grey, brown, ect.), I believe to be the best option you've set forth, because it gives a little bit of everything. It is possible to tell friend from foe, but still realistic enough that you have to check your target and get possative identivication before engaging.

On a final note, I've always pondered the idea of OP oganizers passing out removable patches and/or insignias for each team. Such as the OD/desert colored US flags that our military uses, for example.

Just my $.2 I hope it helps.

Duo Chan
07-19-2005, 02:40 PM
***Double post, sorry***

Violator
07-19-2005, 03:23 PM
BDUs arent that expensive - I've bought them used like mentioned above at Army Surplus stores. Its good to have more than one pair anyway. I can hardly see how somebody could complain about the cost of an extra BDU when for the price of one hi-cap mag or battery you could get a military surplus uniform. Nobody ever said this game was cheap anyway.

browny13
07-19-2005, 03:43 PM
Instead of having to buy BDUs or resorting to armbands that give you're position away to the enemy, you could put somekind of cloth on your head. Like find your own team bandana/cloth/headband that you could tie on your head or just somehow put it on your head. You're head is normally the thing popping up so you would be able to see what team the guy you're shooting at is on w/o having to wait till the guy moves a bit so you can see his arm. You would not have to worry about having to have 2 armbands.

Just a suggestion

browny

Duo Chan
07-19-2005, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Violator
BDUs arent that expensive - I've bought them used like mentioned above at Army Surplus stores. Its good to have more than one pair anyway. I can hardly see how somebody could complain about the cost of an extra BDU when for the price of one hi-cap mag or battery you could get a military surplus uniform. Nobody ever said this game was cheap anyway.

Most of my friends can't even afford a hi-cap mag or a battery. I come from a poor neck of the woods where I've ended up lucky.

We're all chipping in everything we have, down to not even eating lunch at school, to help each of them get a gun, mag, battery and one BDU. We even share two chargers out here. Honestly, we can't afford extra BDU's for everyone.

PointMan
07-19-2005, 04:10 PM
german flectarn two sets of pants and three tops for like twenty bucks at major surplus www.majorsurplus.com best bdu set i have ever owned.

solution zero and i were wearing it at the event

Texx
07-19-2005, 04:32 PM
You wouldn't necessarily have to buy the entire uniform. You could simply buy the jacket. I have seen surplu Desert Camo and Woodland Jackets gor for $12 or less on Ebay.

Using the "I can't afford it" excuse may simply mean that is one or more events you will need to prepare for. If you can't afford a jacket, then perhaps a desert camo T-shirt and blue jeans?

Perhaps the "Army Men" method is one of the better ones - "Green" vs. "Tan."

Just helpin'

CAR15A2
07-19-2005, 04:39 PM
I have a hard time buying the "I can't afford BDUs argument" when you can get used surplus uniforms for almost free. I bought two woodland tops at a flea market two weeks ago for $2.00 apeice. Flectarn, as noted above is $5.00 or less all over the internet, and rejected desert BDU top and bottom sets range from $8.00-15.00.

An AEG costs in the $300.00 range and you can't come up $10-15 for BDUs? Give me a break. Why don't you have a carwash or something to raise the money. there are tons of things you can do raise a few dollars IF you are motivated to do it.

Someone might even lend you some gear if you are that hard up. I offered to lend free BDUs to a team so they could come to Safari Strike and got no response. It just not that hard to get it done.

Texx
07-19-2005, 04:44 PM
That's a good idea, Car. Perhaps Airsoft Arms or another retailer would be willing to help sponsor a car wash to raise money for teams which need money. Or you could have a bake sale. Or you could kidnap Foxtrot's RPK and hold it for ransom...

Duo Chan
07-19-2005, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Texx
You wouldn't necessarily have to buy the entire uniform. You could simply buy the jacket. I have seen surplu Desert Camo and Woodland Jackets gor for $12 or less on Ebay.

Using the "I can't afford it" excuse may simply mean that is one or more events you will need to prepare for. If you can't afford a jacket, then perhaps a desert camo T-shirt and blue jeans?

Just helpin'

Thanks for the input, Texx.

The jeans and jacket would work, but I never figured milsim events would let that fly. :confused: From what I've seen in my short year of airsofting, they get pretty strick with some things

:eek: And apparently BDU's arn't expensive everywhere... The store out here charges $25 for a jacket and another $25 for the pants.

Duo Chan
07-19-2005, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by CAR15A2
An AEG costs in the $300.00 range and you can't come up $10-15 for BDUs?

It took three of us almost a year of scraping and skimming to afford a stock CA36c and 9.6v 1050MaH Attack Pack battery for my team mate lucky enough to be the first one to save his share of an AEG. :D

Originally posted by Texx
That's a good idea, Car. Perhaps Airsoft Arms or another retailer would be willing to help sponsor a car wash to raise money for teams which need money. Or you could have a bake sale. Or you could kidnap Foxtrot's RPK and hold it for ransom...

:cool: I'd rather have that SVD. ANYWAY, yeah it is a good idea. The guys have been doing odd jobs all summer on the farms around this area for spare money, though I still haven't heard what the fund is up to now. Though it is assured that what money they make will go towards their first gun. You think AA might really be willing to sponsor a fund raiser?

EDIT!: o.o Excuse me, I seem to have forgotten where I am. :) My appologies to the creator for leading the thread off topic.

Dante
07-19-2005, 05:44 PM
while i wanst able to attend the event, i have some thoughts. since i have played with all three methods i like the subdued arm bands the best. why, becuase it forces you to look before you shoot and also, coming from a man who has worn many bdus, desert anything isnt that great of choice in the woods. to make it easier to distinguish sides the two arm band method is the best.

or we could all don fluorescent jerseys....maybe not

Mr. Potato-Head
07-21-2005, 06:15 PM
Even at the next event you can even sell BDUs there, or give out green or brown jerseys.

MacDaddy
07-21-2005, 08:34 PM
The dual arm bands with darker, but subdued colors (dark red, maroon) seem to be the least expensive way to distinguish teams. The brown ones blended too well with woodland camo, and grey looked like a rolled-up sleeve as mentioned earlier. As long as the color doesn't blatantly stick out (like white, yellow, or orange) and blow your camoflage it should work.

Uniforms are OK, but there is a cost if you don't already own it - and who wants to wear desert BDUs in Ohio? Even if you did find it cheap at surplus store, what color would you get?