PDA

View Full Version : rain-x for anti-fog???

Fresh
04-06-2004, 02:43 PM
i was just wondering if anyone has ever applied rain-x to their goggles as an anti-fog. i was about to apply it and try it out but i figured that i would post here first because someone has got to have tried it before me. has anyone done this before? does it work well?

JayKay
04-06-2004, 02:52 PM
I thought the purpose of rain-x was to make the droplets of rain run off your windshield quickly. I'm not sure what this would do to fog on your goggles?

Edit: Unless you mean you play in a rainy, wet area and the outside of your goggles are constantly wet...lol

Pete
04-06-2004, 07:05 PM
Rain-X makes an anti-fog coating you can use inside on your windshield. I have used it in my truck, and if I remember right, it says not to use on plastic. Could be wrong though, and it does work nice on the glass. ;)

MacDaddy
04-06-2004, 08:51 PM
Pete is right. I am holding a bottle of Rain-X Anti Fog in my hand and it does say not to apply to plastics "unless pre-approved by the manufacturer of the plastic to be treated." It goes on to say not to apply it to scratch resistant coatings.

It still *might* work with goggles, though, but I'm not gonna risk it on mine. I'm no expert on auto glass, but I am pretty sure auto glass (front windshield only) is coated with plastic to prevent shattering and protecting the occupants of the vehicle from severe cuts due to exposed glass shards in the event of an accident. The automotive type of plastic coating has likely been tested with the Rain-X anti-fog.

If you try it and it works, let us know. Also let us know if it fails miserably.

Slaya360
04-13-2004, 09:42 PM
I don't know anything about rain-x, but I heard that liquid hand soap will do the trick. I haven't tried it yet though.

clinkman
04-16-2004, 04:41 PM
This stuff works great, I've tried it on several different sets of goggles and in various different temps and weather conditions...check it out.

www.fogtech.com

Fox
04-16-2004, 04:44 PM
Tooth paste does it for diving masks.

Cheers
Fox

Soultek
04-16-2004, 06:00 PM
actually tooth paste is used on brand new diving goggles to remove a layer of something (I forget exactly what, its been a while since i bought new scuba stuff), you use a normal anti fog mask solution before each dive.

Spit also works miracles for diving goggles though, so that could be something to try :p

test_account
05-13-2004, 11:23 AM
Ive used the anti-fog rain-x on my goggles. They fogged over a bit, and i buffed them according to the instructions and all is well. The bottle does say do not use on coated plastics, but im not one to listen to "the man"
Cant really tell if they helped my fogging issue or not. I wear glasses presently and that is my biggest fog issue.

As for toothpaste. That is essentially light rubbing compound. I wold think rubbing your goggles with that would complelty destroy them.

themenz
05-16-2004, 05:44 PM
I think the newer RainX says it is safe on plastics, but I have not found it to work well.

Glaeken
05-16-2004, 11:04 PM
Foxtrot,

Please change your signature picture - It is highly inappropriate for this site!

Thanks in advance,
Glaeken

Covington
05-17-2004, 09:44 AM
http://www.walgreens.com/dbimagecache/127842.gif

Clorox Bathroom Wipes with Teflon
found at: General or Grocery Store
price: $2.63/32 wipes

Effectiveness:
100%. You will NOT fog.

Suggestion:
If your goggles already have some kind of anti-fog or anti-glare coating, I have no idea how this wipe will react with it.

Safe for plastics.

Ramrod
05-18-2004, 09:18 PM
i used the rain-x anti-fog stuff on my goggles a while back and it doesnt work at all, the chemicals just burned my eyes, it was not kewl, i would recomend staying away from rain-x anti-fog, i also could be semi-retarded and didnt read the directions but o well, im also not going to listen to "the man" either

test_account
05-18-2004, 10:00 PM
Heres a solution, buy good goggles.

Mole
05-19-2004, 11:41 AM
and what exactly would you consider "good" goggles?

gunfighters
05-19-2004, 05:47 PM
go to the local dive shop and get a product called"2000 PSI" or was it 3000??? well what ever. good stuff lasts over a year