PDA

View Full Version : Is the TM tracer unit good?

CrazyPOW
03-08-2004, 07:27 AM
I was just wondering if the TM tracer unit would be a good buy or a complete waste of money. My friends and I do some night ops here and there.

Sgt. Savage
03-08-2004, 05:13 PM
Unless you want to waste $100.00 to light up your bb's and give away your position durring night opps, I suggest not. Just my opinion.

Savage

ArmyHummer
03-08-2004, 05:34 PM
The tracer unit is just fine. The problem is, you need to use .12 bb's if you want to have any chance at affording using it - its a bulk pack - and the use of it is basically limited to indoor dark conditions. Otherwise your buying a 100 dollar strobe look alike silencer.

Cpl.Hicks
03-08-2004, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by ArmyHummer
The tracer unit is just fine. The problem is, you need to use .12 bb's if you want to have any chance at affording using it - its a bulk pack - and the use of it is basically limited to indoor dark conditions. Otherwise your buying a 100 dollar strobe look alike silencer.

I agree that the tracer unit is fine, but in my oppinion, it is sort of a useless upgrade. There is no real need to see were your bbs are going. If you have a big problem firing in the dark, just get a thirty dollar tac-light.

Kaiser78
03-08-2004, 06:54 PM
I would have to disagree with some of you. I bought one for my MP5A4 and not only does it look cool but it makes for some very fun games. We play both indoors and outdoors and it has made for some very interesting outcomes. I would agree that there are better ways of finding tango's in the dark such as a light but just for the coolness factor I have found it to be quiet amusing.

Another thing is that if you use standard mags you can easily use this as a diversionary tactic. Say for example you are the only one with a tracer unit on your squad. Its dark out and you are skirmishing. Well if you load every 3rd or 4th round with a tracer unit you can easily save money. But look at it this way, if all of the sudden you see a glow in the dark bb headed your way your going to fire in that direction, correct? Well if I shoot at you with my tracer unit then the rest of my team stays hidden and is able to hopefully take the rest of you out since you all are staring in the direction of the glow in the dark bb. Also note that it adds another dimension to the realism which we all play this game for. Even if you arent shooting a tracer round the unit still flashes. This in itself simulates a muzzleflash which can be seen by the enemy.

It becomes real fun when you have more then one person with a tracer unit and you setup your game where each person is given directions to a certain place and they dont know the number of the opposing force. Even if you load every 3rd or 4th round with a tracer bb the opposing force may think that your group is larger then it really is hightening the anticipation and adrenaline.

Even one more scenario is to have one mag filled totally with tracer bb's. Do that if you really want to scare the crap out of them. Or at least get them to turn their heads.

I am sure everyone here has watched a bb come at them and hit them. Imagine how cool it is if it was night time and it was a tracer round. As for the cost, well just set yourself or your team up with a company and cost becomes a limiting factor.

In general, yes there are other cheaper ways to play in the dark. Everyone should have a flashlight on them anyway or at least a snap stick (usually green or red) and a radio. All in all I have found that it is a very fun toy to play with. It adds more realism and for me enhances the fun factor. One last thing to think about is how much stuff have you purchased throughout your airsoft 'career' that you thought was cool? Is it really necessary to have a real steel red dot sight on your M4? Do you really need that 9X scope on your sniper rifle? Not really but we all like different things. So is it justified......I think so.

M4A1gunner
03-08-2004, 08:46 PM
I think thee great, If everyone had them, Then I think I is a waste, and dont you NEED the special bbs. Which are $$$$

ArmyHummer
03-08-2004, 08:46 PM
Kaiser,
Most likely you DONT play in the types of games we do in ohio. 95% of games here are open to all, with 70+ unless its in a beginning/ending season of the year. Being outside, it is just as visible if not slightly less then a white bb to the eye. When you bring indoors into play, which only certain teams have limited play in and normally are restricted to their team only or small ammounts of people, that is the only time it is usable, which in your case I would bet highly on is why you use it. Either in the dark, or indoors with few people is the time you use it. As soon as it gets light, its rendered useless and is merely cosmetic looks.
No doubt, its useable and useful, I wouldn't mind having one myself. But the problem is, its effectiveness is about 1 on a 10 scale because the fact the only indoor games I go to are in WV which has been twice now. And everygame ahs been daylight I have ever played at and AO has officially held. A few over nighters for long distance drivers, but thats like 10 people max. Nothing serious.

Kaiser78
03-08-2004, 09:12 PM
Well said Army Hummer. I was just trying to shed some light on the subject. You are correct. Usually we dont get the kind of games you say you guys get. I wish we did though. Ours usually is around 25-30 tops. Again you are correct in saying that during day games it is pretty much cosmetic. One other reason that I purchased it was because I always thought a MP5A4 would look cool with a silencer on it. (cosmetics) Instead of buying a silencer, which from my experience has been purely cosmetic for ~60 bucks, I chose to go with the tracer unit for those 'special' games where it would be useful. I use the straight bb's which is 1k rounds for 11 bucks through Den and have found no difference.

Maybe sometime we can set something up with your guys and either way it would be a new experience for the other team. As you pointed out though, it would appear that the gear choices that each person makes is dependant on their type of 'regular' games and players.

Good hunting. Out.

Cobalt-Blue
03-09-2004, 05:04 AM
I've seen them attached to minis for hilarious effect. at least you wouldn't score up your AEG's barrel with .12's

also they are cool for the muzzle flash effect, see also "Lost in translation" if any of you have girlfriends and feel like taking a nap, it's a fine film. :)

but in the middle of it Bull Murray's character and that girl whose name I forgot go to a bar in japan where one of their friend's angers the bartender who then opens up with a tracer equipped marui mp5 and chases them through town.

^cRYpTic^
03-09-2004, 08:31 PM
How do you know its a TM airsoft gun and not one of those blank-firing prop guns, especially because I've never seen an airsoft eject shells.

ArmyHummer
03-09-2004, 10:14 PM
Kasier,
It was a good overall choice. If I did decide to go with the silencer setup, that probably would have been my path because the SOCOM isnt posed to be for 9mm anyway, so it doesnt fit a real view. But that would have been my way of looking at it, gives me two uses in one. Night toy plus silencer. :D

Cobalt-Blue
03-10-2004, 05:18 AM
cryptic, did you see the movie?

1- they run out of the bar under a hail of BBs,
2- the girl says something to the effect of look out he has a bb gun
3- the establishing shot of the initial barrage looks right down the barrel and you can plainly see a brilliant blue-white flash, not the orange yellow of blanks
4- it sounds like an AEG bb gun
5- there is no close up enough view to determine if there are shells or not so I wont touch that
6 also it could be another manufacturer, I didn't sit through the credits long enough to see any reference to TM or any airsoft manufacturer
7- a blank firing propr would have been inappropriate since the japanese public cannot get such weapons as the mp5SD, so having a blank firing prop of one would be unrealistic and difficult to explain as amovie and necessitate to the viewer some deeper explanation as to why a bartender opens fire in his own bar with a "real" mp5- both illegal and substantially overpowered for some minor infraction.

just my mental change $0.02

Secretagentman
03-10-2004, 01:40 PM
Not to mention there are a multitude of classic airsoft replicas that use "shells" that eject like the real thing. It's very possible it was a classic gas gun that had a modern TM tracer on it. Just a thought...I have yet to see that movie so I don't have a personal visual thought on it. Just pointing out that indeed there are airsoft replicas that eject shells. :D

007...out

Grease Man
03-10-2004, 01:59 PM
I saw the movie, and also recognized the tracer unit. I didnt see shells ejecting, but you can hear the electric motor, and the full auto noise the gun makes, which leades me to believe it was either ICS, TM, or CA.

^cRYpTic^
03-10-2004, 05:25 PM
I wasnt questioning if it was an airsoft or not, I was wondering how you knew, because sometimes I find it hard to decipher between an airsoft and a blank firing prop gun. I own a TM mp5k, and the sound is familiar to my ears. When i saw the movie i didnt recognize it to be a airsoft gun, and I was wondering how you knew, so in the future I could use your logic to decide for myself. :)

Grease Man
03-10-2004, 11:48 PM
Its quite obvious that its an airsoft gun.
A: you can see the tracer unit, and flash
B: You can actually see the BB's flying out at one point.
C: The sound the gun makes in unmistakenable an AEG

My girlfriend owns lost in translation, so i'll steal it from her and take a look at it even more to get more evidence.

^cRYpTic^
03-11-2004, 04:47 PM
Cool, thanx

joeranger
05-06-2004, 10:54 AM
I have obviously been away too long!!! Been working on the M41a Pulse Rifle and USCM Armor on another forum. The tracer is the most fun part of firing at night, you would have to see it to understand. ALso, for a non airsoft person the effect is mind-blowing.

M4A1gunner
05-11-2004, 11:41 AM
okay, so it does look really cool, but is it really worth $100, i say not at all

Indigum
05-14-2004, 09:23 PM
Anyone considered why real tracer rounds are used?

I think tracer units would be appropriate and useful to night games, used in the proper manner. They could be used by a fire team leader to direct the fire of his team members. It's much better than trying to explain what you're shooting at in the darkness.

Even one more scenario is to have one mag filled totally with tracer bb's. Do that if you really want to scare the crap out of them. Or at least get them to turn their heads.

They could also be used by automatic riflemen, to enhance their ability to suppress enemy combatants. A burst of tracers is probably going to put your head back down faster than a couple snaps against nearby trees.